How-to: Another Cheap Fog Light Install - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Post How-to: Another Cheap Fog Light Install

So got around to installing these today figured i'd share my version. Found the lights thanks to "Fangers" in the bumper mouth bracket thread, and learned these would def fit after seeing "1r1shrover"s thread on the lights. so thanks to you guys for the idea.. i was gonna end up taking some fogs off a lexus truck at the JY if i didnt do this. picked up a set of the Platinum Burner driving lights from walmart for 19 bucks. I had all the hardware needed already but you will need 2 self tapping screws, 2-4 3/4''x 1/4'' bolts with nuts, lock washers, some butt connectors, angle iron, paint of your choice, 16 gauge wire and another rocker to avoid using the crap they give you.

trimmed about 1/8 inch of the center of the factory fog location so these would fit through. if you look at the fog spot you will see the little flat lip i'm talking about...thats what you're trimming. take your time, if you go too wide it will show in the end.. got quick with mine and now i've got a visible mistake. My fogs sit with just the glass lense outside the plastic bumper after trimming.

made my bracket mounts ALOT beefier, since the last time i did ones like "1r1shrover"s version on my jeep they bounced. hated that, so i took some old steel shelf pieces i have for projects like this, cut it down to roughly 6 inches and cut a piece out so i could bend it to match the bracket that comes with the lights.

self tapping screw into the bumper, (also my ground) bolted the light to my bracket, added an extra nut since i didnt have any lock washers and didnt want to run to lowes. sorry this shot is shakey...before i grounded & did wiring it was too dark by the time i finished..so this is all I have right now.

as for wiring, power directly from battery with the inline fuse provided going to a LED rocker i got at RS (you will need to extend this according to how you run it). grounded each light to the self tapping screws in the steel bumper. run the power wire from the lights together as one wire to the load spot on the rocker. grounded my rocker by drilling a hole and bolting it to the section of metal framework behind the kick panel. mounted the rocker in a blank by the mirror controls. (few write ups on that floating around) left a gap for my VDC relocation next week. and there ya go... aftermarket fogs. mine cost me a total of 22 bucks since i had just about everything already. if you need everything...could do it for roughly 30 bucks, cant complain!

I'll get a better pic of the rocker later.. it also has a 3mm LED to indicate when the lights are on. PERFECT location, cant see the light when driving so its not distracting, but it catches your eye when you get out so as not to leave them on and kill the battery.

finished product...

now, i just want to swap in some insanly bright yellow bulbs and im good. gonna run 4 more in the bumper mouth after I get a bracket so these will def be yellow sometime soon. hope this helps some of you guys.
Originally Posted by 06_footy View Post
Dreams are like cats, they get ran over everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

I have four of these in the bumper mouth bracket. There is no cutoff or anything on these lights to prevent them from blinding oncoming drivers. Even with mine aimed low, they're still awful. I only use them in conjunction with the high beams now to fill in the light in front of the car that the low beams covered.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, you will be flashed using them with traffic.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

got mine aimed way low and they are perfect. took it out with a friend to do the whole comin at you with the lights on.. and no issues. the main beam from these hit the ground about 8-12ft from the front of my truck. fills that gap between thetruck and my low beams perfect....without killin other drivers.
gonna swap to yellow bulbs but need to find what kind of bulb is in there now. Think its a H1, then need to find a yellow thats bright like the Optilux extreme yellows.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
2006 Xterra X

Nice I saw these at walmart and was thinking about doing this
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
2006 Xterra S

sweet write up, doing this as soon as i get home. where did you get the metal for the brackets?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MTBXjunkie; 04-12-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Glad u like it but like I said I can't take all credit this is just my version. I had the metal layin around but u can pick up a 3-4ft piece for a few bucks at lowes.... I used the metal shelving since I had it & it had pre drilled holes but u could pick up some angle iron and do just the same. Make sure not to bend it to far back or you won't be able aim the lights properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

aight i have to admit last night i had dumb arse moment and killed my truck with these lights. first of all went out with a few friends & my wife i got pretty lit then decided to show off my new lights to my friend "Fellow X owner" then since i was lets say outta it... left them on for the remaining 4 hours we were there.... needless to say my truck was so dead it wouldnt unlock with the remote, or let me drop it into N to roll it back a few feet to get jumped off so my wife could drive us home.

SOOOOO now im looking to learn how to hook them to the anoying idiot ringer that says "HEY DUMB ARSE ur lights are still on" when you open the door. so this doesnt happen again. i know its a simple wire tap i just dont know what wires to tap lol so anyone help me out? can this even be done. ie: would it work if my head lights were off but fogs on. or would it just be with the headlights like how it stands now. IDK just figured id give it a shot. other then my screw up these lights are BA. installing a set in an 09 SE this weekend for a friend.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
2006 Xterra S

i hate when this happens.. at least you were.. feeling under the weather.. i just ran inside to eat and it died.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

lol yeah not gonna lie i was toasted! but made for a hysterical night.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's