P0420 code replacement - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Veteran

Default P0420 code replacement

So the old p0420 code is on and the dealer has quoted me $1050 to replace the cat. All of the muffler shops are saying about 800. Last nite I ordered up a new cat from auto parts warehouse for $226 delivered. Looks like my sat. will be with the wrenches. I think the hardest part will be clearing the code. Unless the new cat will make it go away
Amsoiled

Last edited by rckev; 01-04-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Supporting Member
2008 War Machine Edition Xterra OR

Send a message via Skype™ to macguyvermedic

Before I had a scanner I would just have the Auto Zone guys do it for me for free. I know their not technically suppose to do it but most of them in my experience don't have a problem doing it.

Update on how much time it takes and what truly needs to be removed to complete. Got to help a buddy with the same thing in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

God I hate working on the exhaust of cars, nothing is ever easy. Everything is always so rusted, Good luck.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran
2005 Pirate X-arrgh-a

Send a message via AIM to xmedicG Send a message via Yahoo to xmedicG

mine's throwing the same code. which catcon did u get from auto parts warehouse? and it's the passenger side that needed to be changed right?

project: Reborn X
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

you can clear the code using the gas pedal. I placed a "how to" that was posted by someone else in the forum under the how to section.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmedicG View Post
mine's throwing the same code. which catcon did u get from auto parts warehouse? and it's the passenger side that needed to be changed right?

They have a bolt on stainless it's like the 1st and 2nd one that comes up I think the number was EAST40711 for the passenger side
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPN4125 View Post
God I hate working on the exhaust of cars, nothing is ever easy. Everything is always so rusted, Good luck.

My part wont be here till Fri. every nite before i go to bed i hit the bolts with some creep/PB Blaster I will do this every nite till I am ready to wrench. This has worked for me before. You just have to deal w/the smell for a few days
Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masscomguru View Post
you can clear the code using the gas pedal. I placed a "how to" that was posted by someone else in the forum under the how to section.
Thanks I will look that up
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Veteran

well as I posted last nite the cat was ordered. Sunday I decided to pour 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank w/1/4 tank of gas I drove for about 50 miles before topping it up to full. Drove to work yesterday and today with the SES light on and would you believe the damn light went out when I cranked it up for the ride home. 100 miles and It is still off. I poured the rest of the can in after 285 miles and filled it up again. why could this not have happened before I spent 225 on a cat?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

^^it will come back... the below the light is just coming on now because the cat is beginning to go. I can do the same with a bottle of techtron. give it a couple of thousand miles. The trigger for that particular code happens when the system sees the same issue twice in a row on two drive cycles. you can figure a normal drive cycle to be a tank of gas. When it gets really bad, the code will just come back on immediately. I drove for almost a year on my drivers side cat (i would not suggest that) but in the end, it was back on within 80 miles or so. Mine is also just beginning to go because the light will come on randomly between 1000 and 4000 miles.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline