Changing Coolant - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Default Changing Coolant

Ok I know this has been discussed, and I've searched and read thru posts, but I'm a little confused about doing a coolant change. I have a 2006 X 4x4 S Model, Auto, i went to the Nissan dealer and bought 2 gallons of the long life green coolant (it was on sale $10 gallon). I mix it with equal parts of distilled water to make a total of 4 gallons. Now what is the capacity for my vehicle? Will I have enough?
Now for actually changing the coolant, let the truck sit overnight, with a cold engine the next day take off the radiator cap, open the coolant reservoir, and take the radiator drain plug out (there is only one drain plug correct?), let all the coolant drain out. After all the coolant is out, put the radiator drain plug back in and fill the radiator to the top with the mixture. At this point do I add any coolant the reservoir? With the radiator cap off, start the truck and turn on the heat, keeping my eye on the fluid in the radiator, add more when the level drops, and for how long whould I do this for, 10 minutes, 45 minutes? Also, should I add any of the mixture to the reservoir at this point? After doing how long should I wait to put the radiator cap back on and drive? And also, where is the air pressure valve, and when and how should i use this to get the extra air out of the system?

Thanks for your help from a total coolant replacement newbie!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Veteran
2005 s 4X2 s

radiator drain plug has a rubber washer.... dont loose it.... drain radiator then open reservour as you pour coolant in radiator.... once you filled your radiator to the top make sure you have reservour filled to max line. then close radiator cap and keep reservour cap off, start engine with climate control on heat.. squeeze bottom radiator hose many times over to get air bubbles out.. then squeeze top radiator hose..... if you have a helper, have him watch for the air bubbles in reservour.. it helps when someone can verify the bubbles while you squeeze radiator hoses.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Supporting Member
2009 Xterra Off Road

You can't completely drain the cooling system by just draining the radiator. You to do a drain and fill with water a few times before you add antifreeze. Ane then it needs to be undiluted beause there is still some water left in the system. I hope you didn't dilute the antifreeze you bought. More info here, http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35683.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road

your going to want to bleed the system using the t fitting at the firewall. There is a HOWTO in the HOWTO section.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra