Axle seal replacement on c200 help? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Unhappy Axle seal replacement on c200 help?

I noticed my wife's 06 Xterra S model 4x4 leaking from the passenger side rear axle seal. Its not too bad where its pooling but its enough to slop all over the inside of the rim. Looks like it just started within the past day or two. So now I'm going to take on the task of replacing it soon. Its not an offroad edition so she must have the c200 instead of the M226. So I'm going to be ordering the parts to complete the repair. So what parts will I need? According to the manual it says I need to replace the Axle bearing, bearing ring retainer, shim washer, snap ring, ABS sensor rotor, O-ring, and Axle oil seal. I have access to a press at work if I need to press any bearings out. Any help would be greatly appreciated....!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Supporting Member
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off-Road

Is it an auto trans, or manual trans? If its manual, it will have an M226 even though it isnt an off road FYI.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Thank you forgot to mention its an automatic. The 6 bolt neck confirms its a c200. If I'm reading the diagram correctly you don't have to press any bearings out or disassemble the axle to get to the axle seal? Looks like you just have to pull out the axle. Can anyone please confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Snow View Post
Is it an auto trans, or manual trans? If its manual, it will have an M226 even though it isnt an off road FYI.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Anyone..?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off-Road

I'm looking at the FSM and it looks like you've got to remove the axle to get to it. Honestly, I can't see how you wouldn't. You won't have to uninstall any bearings, but the FSM does recommend replacing the ABS sensor ring, though.

Not sure how necessary that is.
Build Thread. At the rate I'm going I should have an ExPo vehicle ready in roughly 6.3 years. It'll be pimpish. **Joins in 08, 6 years later he's dual lockered, RTT'ed and on schedule for his signature. Well done sir. - Surf and Snow, 5/9/14**
Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 PM

^ Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member
2008 War Machine Edition Xterra OR

Send a message via Skype™ to macguyvermedic

As far as I can tell the FSM only recommends you inspect the ABS sensor ring. AS long as the ring isn't cracked/warped/missing teeth and your not kicking any codes "VDC/ABS" I would call it good. You can get all of the parts from Rock Auto for about 1/3 the price, without a loss in quality.
Part # 710479
Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 PM

^ ok thanks, so the only part I will need to fix the leak is the axle seal its self. I hope I won't need the SST that they use in the manual to pull the axle/reinstall the axle and remove the seal.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Supporting Member

No just the part number for the seal. I have zero experience with the c200 and after rereading that section, I would have to say it's quite a bit more involved the the m226 I have. It looks like you will in fact need to replace everything just to fix that seal. If I were you I would PM Surf and Snow and get his expert opinion. He has cleared things up for before. I can't figure out why you would have to replace anything but the oil seal, but that's not my profession. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. How many miles you do you have on the old girl, extended warranty??
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Supporting Member

Will you are at it, I would also do the breather mod, which was most likley the cause of the leak to begin with.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline