How-to: Replace Driver's Door Window Motor - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Old 03-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Default How-to: Replace Driver's Door Window Motor

My driver's door window motor went bad months ago. I finally got around to ordering a new one. The new part finally came in so time to install it.

Unfortunately, the dealership sent me the wrong part number and the wiring harness didn't match up. Be sure you are getting part #80731-EA005. They sent me the same part with EA500. Oops! Here is the correct part:

Everything in this job requires a 10mm socket.

Step one, remove the drive's door panel. I think there is already a how-to on this so I will not redo it.

Step 2, lower the window to line up the mounting bolds to the holes in the sheet metal.

There are two screws holding it in. I was able to reconnect the window switch and smacked the motor to roll down the window. In doing so it made the bolt on the right side line up with a hole in the sheet metal where I could access it with a socket.

Remove the door glass from the track. Once the window is disconnected from the track it is best if you can tape it in the up position, but if not, lower it all the way down so it doesn't drop.

Step 3, remove all of the bolts attaching the window track (4 bolts) and the window motor (3 bolts). With the glass up and out of the way you should be able to maneuver the window track and motor out of the lower left opening.

I had the glass all the way down, but I had to use one hand to lift it out of the way to make room for the motor to get out. Otherwise, there just isn't enough room.

Step four, remove the three screws that are holding the motor to the regulator and swap it for the new motor. You may have to move the window guide up or down on the track to get the motor drive to line up inside the regulator.

Step five, put it all back in reverse. Move the window out of the way to put the motor and track back in, reattach motor and track to the door, attach window to the track, put door panel back together. It is probably a good idea to test the motor with the switch prior to putting everything back together.

Last edited by darrinniko; 03-26-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: revised and pics added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off-Road

First post is a how-to. Nice.

I once replaced the window motor on my 1986 300zx. It used a flat spring. When I took the screw out, the spring uncoiled and almost took my fingers off. Was gnarly.

Anyway, good going.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Noobie
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Updated with pics. I hope this helps!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator / Middle Atlantic Regional Moderator
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to XterraPA Send a message via Yahoo to XterraPA

Excellent How-To! Very detailed and the quality photos make it even better.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 5AT

Good how-to, what did the motor cost you?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Thank you!

The motor was was $202.93 and shipping was $19.10 from Cherry Hill Nissan. Although they initially shipped me the wrong part, their customer service was pretty good. They got the new part out asap with a UPS shipping label to send back the wrong part.

Also, I ordered the keyless entry pad at the same time. Through the vendor link they go for $52.80, but if you go to their main website they go for $51.70. Weird.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran
2011 4runner Trail Edition

ok, how the hell do i get the window to go down? i got the door panel off, and unscrewed the motor, but i cant get the window to go down so i can relase it from the track!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Veteran
2005 s 4X2 s

i replaced my motor also.... when loosening bolts that hold window to metal frame, be carefull not to scratch your window film. i took a metal hanger and broke 2 6" pieces... i bent the ends opposite to each other and used them to hold the window up when i released window from metal frame.......
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran
2011 4runner Trail Edition

well, got the window off and fixed it all. works great!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Noobie

Got my window motor for $86 + 24 core charge at Autozone. Motor change was start to finish, 25 minutes! Great How to!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's