How-to: Bypass Radiator Transmission Cooler - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to Logisense
Thumbs up How-to: Bypass Radiator Transmission Cooler

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS ONLY. MANUAL TRANSMISSION GUYS THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzguy View Post
OK, here's the executive summary:

Corrosion in the OEM radiator causes an internal leak that allows the coolant to mix with the automatic transmission fluid. The root cause is not known: whether the corrosion is due to the coolant chemistry, AT fluid chemistry, or a flaw in the radiator design and manufacture. What is well known is the effects of this failure: dead transmission and a high dollar repair. What this modification does is completely eliminate the potential for that failure to occur, and attempts to mitigate the loss cooling provided by the now bypassed radiator transmission cooler by adding a second aftermarket cooler behind the OEM transmission cooler. The majority of this thread is dedicated to the merits and potential consequences of this modification.
OK. There is an EASY way to prevent your radiator from eating your transmission. Granted, this does not allow the engine to warm up the transmission fluid, but if it bothers you that much, buy an oil pan heater and slap it on your transmission...

Check this out.

Here is your transmission cooler framed in red.

all i did was switch the two hoses. the hose indicated by the red stripe used to be connected where the hose indicated by the green stripe is connected and vice versa.

thats it!! thats all you need to do to bypass the radiator. i took my bumper and everything else off just for pictures. you could do this by only taking your radiator skid off.

STOP HERE IF YOU DO NOT ADD A SECOND COOLER

now since im in the mojave desert, i decided to ADD a second trans cooler. check this out for easy.

complete steps one and two above. purchase any cooler you wish, so long as it fits. i got autozone part number: 911403 (thats set as my hometown store, make sure to check yours! )
i added mine to the rear of the stock cooler:

trans fluid comes into the new cooler on the left (red), exits on the right (yellow) and goes into the factory one (green). no need for any other hose changes!

as you can see plenty of clearance behind!

hardly can tell its there!

i have some more out of focus pictures if anyone needs more clarification (no pun intended). lemme know if this works for you!

Last edited by Logisense; 08-26-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: i R good spelller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

AWESOME WORK! I will definitley be referring to this when I go to do my bypass in a few weeks when the KMA bumper goes on...figure I'll do it all then I have it off anyway...

EDIT: My How-to transflush Post 109

Project K.H.A.O.S.

Last edited by Rook; 04-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
2005 Xterra S

Whats good to look for in this cooler kit. I mean brand, specs, and so on. I have an 05 S and just read about the tranny being eaten up by this and want to do what you did.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
2005 Xterra S

haha never mind guys I just read where you had a link to yours and then thought about it and realized... It really doesn't matter
Old 03-01-2010, 04:10 AM
2006 SE

I am a little lost of the benefits of this mod?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_sancho View Post
I am a little lost of the benefits of this mod?
It prevents your engine coolant from leaking into your transmission. If the cooler fails...it will allow the two fluids to mix...if they mix...your tranny is dead! By bypassing the radiator you no longer have to worry about the fluids coming in contact....pretty self explanatory IMO...

the last thing on earth you want is antifreeze in your tranny....

Last edited by Rook; 03-01-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
2005 Xterra S

When doing the bypass is there any loss of trans fluid? Do you need to flush and refill immediately? Also, when refilling I'm assuming you'd need to add less fluid. Do you happen to know how much less?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to Logisense

No fluid replacement required unless you add a cooler. Then all you gotta do is top off for the new cooler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Do we have any idea how much heat from the transmission was being rejected through the radiator? There is an electric driven fan that draws air through the radiator and the tranny cooler, does it have enough pressure capacity to draw through this extra tranny cooler?

Really like the mod, thinking of doing it as I can't stomach the thought of my tranny going out. Just trying to work through logistics in my head. Not sure if there is a way to find out those spec items.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygil15 View Post
Do we have any idea how much heat from the transmission was being rejected through the radiator? There is an electric driven fan that draws air through the radiator and the tranny cooler, does it have enough pressure capacity to draw through this extra tranny cooler
this is of no concern there is enough suction for the fan to draw the air through both coolers...and additionally, the fins and pipes are spaced out enough that plenty of air will find it's way through. I would imagine, from looking at the pictures and working in building automation control, this additional cooler would only add about .1 inch of water column to the pressure drop across the tranny cooler assembly..which is of negligable consequence...

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's