Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Remove the Gauge Cluster and Install Reverse LCD's - PBR

57K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  Danielle85 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tonight I decided to change the LCD screens in my dash cluster. I recently swapped white leds into the Cluster and the screens are WAY too bright. I couldn't find a how-to on here for the cluster removal, so I took a few pics along the way. One of the nice things about this....all of the screws you take out are the same. you don't have to worry about keeping them separate.

Tools needed to remove the Cluster
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Patience

1) Remove the drivers side kick panel. It just pulls out from the side of the truck. I just pulled mine out a little since you don't need to remove the whole thing.

2) Remove the trim piece directly above the kick panel. It just pulls out. I also pulled the Weather Stripping away to get a better look at it.

3) Remove the lower dash piece. There are 2 screws at the bottom, one on each side of the steering wheel. Pull the lower dash piece away completely. I KNOW, I still need loom up the wires in this pic.

4) Remove the a pillar handle. Pop the caps off each end and unscrew. The screws don't come out of the handle completely.

5) Remove the a pillar. it just pulls away like the kick panel did.

6) Remove the trim ring around the ignition. it just pops off.

7) Remove the upper dash piece. there are 3 screws, one on each side of the steering wheel, and one on the left side near the door. Lower your steering wheel to the lowest position. Pull out and up and lift the upper dash away.

8) Remove the 4 screws around the gauge cluster. Unclip the cluster from the harness and you're done!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tools needed to Swap the LCD to Negative.

- Polarized Film ($10+shipping purchased from here http://store.garage1217.com/polarized-film.html ) the small is PLENTY of film
- Straight Slot Screwdriver (to get the Cluster open)
- Fork (for removing the needles)
- Camera or Tape and a Felt Tip Pen (for marking the position of the needles BEFORE you Remove them)
- Razor Blade (to Peel the old film off)
- Scissors (u gotta Cut the film, duh)
- Rubbing Alcohol or Googone (to get old film Residue off)

1) Open up Gauge Cluster. There are 6 Tabs (the Black ones in the pic) around the outside of the Cluster. They are a pain in the dumper, but will come open eventually. I ended up breaking 1 of them. You will need to either Peel the Factory Security Sticker off, or Cut it. Some people have said that theirs just peeled back no problem, but mine Ripped in half. Oh well. Once the Tabs are open, remove the front of the Cluster. CAUTION: DON'T LOSE THE TRIP COMPUTER PIN! It will probably fall out.

2) Mark your Gauge Positions. This is EXTREMELY important! Once you pull the needles off, you have to put them back on EXACTLY where they were before otherwise your Gauges won't be Accurate. You can use a piece of Blue Painters Tape/Masking Tape and a Felt Tip Marker OR you can just take a close up pic of each one like this.

3) Remove the Needles. Be careful with this one and GO SLOW! you don't want to break one of these, they are "VERY Fragile". I actually used a Fork underneath the base of the needle and just slowly pried them up. it will take some effort, but they pop STRAIGHT up.

4) Remove the LCD Screens. Very easy, just loosen the tiny clips and pull straight up. Be careful with the pins, they are also 'very fragile'.

5) Remove the Polarized Film already on the LCD's. Just use a Razor and Peel from a Corner. Go slow and easy like you are peeling off a window sticker.

6) Clean the LCD. I used Googone, but I have heard that Rubbing Alcohol works best.

7) Cut the new Polarized Film. Measure it out to fit just like the old one did. Here are 2 pics of the same film. One is just turned 90 degrees.

8) Apply the sticky side of the film onto the LCD. Try to keep the air bubbles out like if you were putting a Screen Protector on your phone.

9) Replace completed LCD back into Cluster. Again, be careful with the pins!

10) Do the other side.

11) Put everything back together! You might want to clean the inside of the clear cover of the Cluster. Mine had dust in it. Make sure you don't leave any Fingerprints in there either, otherwise it will drive you "Street Rat Crazy" looking at it all day!

12) Enjoy your new custom LCD's!

The White Gauges:

Lights 'ON':

Truck Running:

#5 ·
nice looks clean.

noticed a bit of surface rust there behind the cluster. is this normal? i just changed out my head unit and saw some of the same, got me a bit worried.

#10 ·
thanks for the compliments! This was no big deal after the led swap. that took some stones! as for the surface rust, that's no big deal. all of the metal behind the dash has it.

#14 ·
#13 ·
no, just when it's cold. reminds me that i need to get air tomorrow morning.

#15 ·
I like the reversed LCDs a lot ... I've always thought that was a really trick effect, I didn't realize they did it with polarizers.

Incidentally, with as many times as you've had the cluster in and out, did you ever have any issues with the mileage display (either the primary or the trip meters)?

#17 ·
the primary mileage is stored in the cluster...the trip meters reset everytime it's unplugged.

w/ the orange, the background would be much darker and the numbers would be the amber color of the dash.

the reason there is a bluish tint is from the bright white leds. it's like a tv w/ the brightness turned all the way up...black turns a shade of blue

#18 ·
Very nice! I did the reverse lcd to my car a couple of years ago. You don't have to get more film... I just peeled mine off with a razor blade, cleaned the sticky stuff off of the film, flipped it over and put everything back together. Worked like a charm :) nice work!
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
this stuff is on there pretty good. mine ripped on both of them as i was peeling.

#21 · (Edited)
#23 ·
that is correct...worked like a charm!

#25 ·
blueish color, yep!

stereo display...i don't see any reason why not. You need to get the face of the radio off. once that's off, see if you can peel the old polarized film off. just make sure that when you put the new stuff on, you turn it 90 degrees. that way the screen will show the opposite info.

#27 ·
mine had a pair of wires underneath that fed into the unit. those wires had a bulb that fit into a socket. I snipped off the bulb and fed 3 prewired 5mm leds into the socket. i don't have any pics. sorry. get underneath and look up at it. you should see what i mean.

#29 ·
yep, because the leds are directional whereas the bulb shines in all directions. 3 leds gave it enough light to look good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.