old man emu - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 AM
2006 Xterra S 4X4

Default old man emu

Has anyone been on 4x4parts.com lately? I was on there and for s#&*s and giggels I looked at the old man emu shocks and notced that the fronty has some 1.5" lift shocks that come with springs. So my thoughts are that the fronty's frontend works for us, but the rear shocks should work and perhaps their add a leaf should too right?
"...To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator / East North Central Regional Moderator
2005 Xterra Off Road

nice find. i didnt know OME made nissan stuff. well i never bothered to check. if its for the frontier then it should work for the X. ive pretty much only heard good things about OME and they are priced good. post a link.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to fangars Send a message via Yahoo to fangars

I was just about to pull the trigger on a full OME suspension kit for my Montero but decided to wait, all my money needs to be saved in hopes to be able to get to goneMOAB this year.
Going to be expensive, need new suspension all around for the Xterra and a CB, gas money and basic living expenses. Probably have to kennel my dogs for a week as well. That will be a drag. A week is about as long as I care to be away from my dogs.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Old Man Emu is the bees knees.. WETF that means..

Last I talked with the head of engineering about OME for Xterras, one 'unofficial' option is to run the OME front suspension (coils/shock) for a Nissan D40 Navara. This is what Kneebuster here on the newX was running for a time - a year or so ago.

Here's an email from Marc Bowers @ ARB from Sep '09:

Quote:
Jason,
D40 Navarra stuff will work, and the heavy coils may give you the 2 inches of lift you are looking for, but you'll need at minimum new upper control arms (we don't need them with the 1-1.5" lift we build for) and possibly some other parts to correct steering geometry/cv angles etc.. Also, we've confirmed the Navarra rear shocks are a bolt in for there Xterra and will work with 2-3 inches of lift without problems (they are longer than stock) with the Sport models offering extremely good ride/handling.
OME is very high quality, almost every vehicle I've owned, and my buddies own have OME suspensions. Very durable, robust, and high quality.

Marc did mention that OME was in the process of developing a leaf pack for the Xterra as well. In September that project was reported as 6 months out. I'm checking back with Marc to see where it's currently at.

One more note, if you do order some OME for your Xterra, go with the Sport shocks. If you've ever used the 'Nitrocharger' OME shocks, and know first hand how BA they are, the Sport shocks will leave you baffled due to their superiority.

Here's the part numbers that you would order to get the front shocks/coil, and the rear shocks for the D40.. These will work on the Xterra.. Myself and Kurt at CruiserOutfitters are going to start toying around with OME options once we get the shop finished up in April/May~ish..

www.stealthgearusa.com coupon code "carry on"

Last edited by SAMI; 01-11-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road

Good info ... thanks SAMI!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Anything that will work with the front suspension of a frontier will work with an Xterra, same goes for front end parts from a pathfinder or titan. The frontiers rear suspension is "SOA" (spring over axle) where the Xterra is "SUA" (spring under axle). So i highly doubt the frontiers AAL will work on an Xterra, but the rear shocks should work.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
2006 Xterra S 4X4

Yeah I know that, but I wonder if the add a leaf for the rear would work. I bet it would, but I'm not entirely sure. I wonder what the specs for the leaf spring are. It's always a possibility.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Veteran

well i know the xterra springs are shorter then the frontiers. Which means that there is a good chance the the center hole in the spring pack will line up the frontiers AAL wrong on an Xterra. I could only imagine but.... this could mean wrong driveline angles.

With all the talks of driveline vibrations and the need for shims on these trucks, i wouldnt mess with anything that wasnt meant for it.... well I mean that as far the rear springs go.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
2006 Xterra S 4X4

Yeah, I can see that. But wouldn't the holes be in the center?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Veteran
'09 Xterra X

thanks SAMI!!! i'm really interested in OME matching coils and leafs!!!!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering