Grinding noise - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 AM
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Question Grinding noise

Hey,
I have a 6spd man transmission and recently ive been getting a strange grinding noise. It happens in every gear after about 2500 rpm's. If i shift it goes away until, you guessed it, i hit 2500 RPM's again. does anyone know what it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off-Road : 6-Speed Manual

Does it happen even when you're coasting at 2500RPM's? Is it worse when you give it gas? Could be something as simple as something rattling around somewhere...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off-Road (6sp)

In 2WD or 4WD - or both?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Its both it happens when its in 2 High. But yeah It is worse when i give it gas. Thats mainly when its noticeable.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

where does it come from or seem to come from..how loud is it....many phones can now take sound clips...or video clips..can you upload one? it would help us diagnose your problem.....does the sound seem to come from a certain side of the truck...or the middle?

you may have a bad torque converter....however, this is incredibly rare on these trucks...

Project K.H.A.O.S.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Check out this post. Is the noise you have similar? A lot of us have this same noise. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthr...light=2200+rpm
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra OR

I had a rattle, seemed to be RPM specific - turned out to be a rock vibrating on top of the skid, easy fix. Hope yours is something as simple, seems like the above is a good lead.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

yes i agree the above post sounds very promising....but if you could capture a video or sound clip of it..I'm sure somone on this site could give you a better idea of what it is.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra S

Here's my two cents' worth. I also have a 6-speed, have heard a rattling noise while accelerating. Seems to go away if I just barely put pressure on the clutch pedal.

I think I've found a likely candidate. There is a pin that connects the clutch pedal lever to a clevis that most likely goes into the clutch master cylinder. (see arrow in pictures below)

When the clutch is fully released, there is no pressure on this pin. The holes in the pedal lever and clevis are slightly larger than the pin, which allows the pin to rattle.

The mechanism is set up this way so that there is zero pressure being applied from the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder when the clutch is released. Any residual pressure being applied could potentially cause clutch slippage, premature clutch wear, so on and so forth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having the pin rattle, it's just annoying. That being said, I'm also trying to figure out how to get it to stop...
Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra X

Send a message via ICQ to BMPSKIR

duct tape fixes all.... or pull it out, wrap some electrical tape around the pin, then put it back in...

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline