Timing chain and tensioner updated TSB - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
2009 Frontier SE

Default Timing chain and tensioner updated TSB

This has been posted on CF for some time but after a quick search I didnt see it over hear. It now includes 2005 through 2010 models.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...ed-tsbs-52945/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S 4x4

getting this looked at tomorrow when the x goes in for its new shoes
Fog Light Mod
Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran
2007 Altima SL

about what mileage does this problem start to occur?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM

so how do you know you have this problem? my engine has a tapping sound, could this be the cause? if i take it in will they fix it preemptively?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road

To answer the above questions: it seems to have been reported at various mileages, rather than one specific range ... some even get so lucky as to never have to deal with it. The noise it makes is an rpm linked whirring or whining sound ... I don't have access to youtube at work, but a search for "XTerra (or Frontier) Timing Chain noise" should turn up several videos which would provide good examples of the noise.

When I had the TSB work done on mine, I had just started to notice a very slight whining sound, which I mentioned when I had it in at the dealer for some other work. The service writer knew instantly what I was talking about ("Oh yeah, that's the VQ timing chain ... we've done a ton of those ...") and said they'd handle the TSB repair under my warranty.

For me, this was before the issuance of the new TSB, or the updated parts selection that was discussed in another thread here ... but it's been at least 10k miles since then and I haven't heard anything repeating, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S 4x4

ok here is what my issue was, about 5-6,000 miles (milage today when i took it in was 38,500)ago i noticed somthing, this was back in april, I thought it was the altinator at the time, took it in and the dealer did not see anything wrong, later that month the TSB came out on it.
at first it would only "whine" when the engine was cold and it would go away, or so I thought.
recently I noticed it all the time, and when i called on saturday to get the new tires orderd I forgot to mention it.
I took it there this monring at 10 am, got a call at 2:30 saying they were already replacing the parts and my X would be ready at 5.
wife dropped me off at 4, and she was sitting out front washed, new tires, oil changed, and no more engine noise....
gotta say Peters nissan really cleaned up their act on this one...I was impressed
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 5AT

I'm 6k past my 50k warranty, you think I could get any action on this? I have a slight whining noise but never really heard an X before mine. Thought it must just be "normal" even though I always have questioned it.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Supporting Member
2008 Xterra OR

Send a message via AIM to dezurtrat Send a message via MSN to dezurtrat Send a message via Yahoo to dezurtrat

HR8, don't we have a 5 year/60K powertrain warranty? Or did you mean you're past 60K?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM
2005 Xterra, 6 speed MT S

H8R,

Yes, they will replace it out of warranty but you may need to be persistent. Looks like we have the same year X with similar mileage. I just had mine replaced out of warranty at 63,000 miles. The whining was driving me crazy so I took it in and spoke directly with my service manager; Nissan covered the entire repair
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 5AT

Hmm. I'll do that then. I wish I could get a GOOD video of what you guys are experiencing, just to confirm.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline