Heater problem - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
2006 Xterra S

Default Heater problem

I just put in my 3" body lift, and I seem to have a few casualties. As of right now I have no heat or ac. The AC is explained, because I forgot to unclip my high pressure sensor before stretching it out, and breaking it. That part got ordered today. However, my heater is not working, which is something I can not figure out. The hose going into my heater core is hot, but the one coming out is not. My fans work, but seem to blow the same temp, no matter what the setting. I have checked for any uncliped wires, that I might have forgot to reconnect, and cannot seem to find any.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW my xterra is a 2006 S 6spd.

Thanks,

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S/MT

Send a message via ICQ to MdPhoenix Send a message via AIM to MdPhoenix Send a message via MSN to MdPhoenix Send a message via Yahoo to MdPhoenix

I haven't checked out the heater core on my X yet, but years ago, there was a vacuum valve connected to one of the heater core hoses. When you switched the system to "heat", the valve opened allowing hot water to flow through the core and have heat exchanged via air flow. The vacuum hose connecting to my valve had broken and I had the same problem. I'm guessing these days it's an electronic valve? Either way, is there some sort of control box or valve on one of the heater core hoses?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Titan Swapped Off-Road

^^^^^^ That would be my bet. I dont know what kind of valve the X has on the heater core, but thats about the only thing that can go wrong with heater cores.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM
2006 Xterra S

At first I too was looking for this vacume line to open the valve, but after a little thought, and a few beers, it ended up being something much simpler than that. After removing and refilling the radiator for the lift, we had forgoten to "burp" the system of any air pockets. I didnt think that a little air would have so much of an effect as to not produce any heat at all, but apparenty I was wrong.

Now the only thing left to fix from the body lift is my fuel filler neck, something I have not even looked into yet, but I dont expect much trouble from.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jesse
Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S/MT

Send a message via ICQ to MdPhoenix Send a message via AIM to MdPhoenix Send a message via MSN to MdPhoenix Send a message via Yahoo to MdPhoenix

Good stuff. Thanks for the solution!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Noobie
2006 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker13 View Post
At first I too was looking for this vacume line to open the valve, but after a little thought, and a few beers, it ended up being something much simpler than that. After removing and refilling the radiator for the lift, we had forgoten to "burp" the system of any air pockets. I didnt think that a little air would have so much of an effect as to not produce any heat at all, but apparenty I was wrong.
How exactly do you "burp" the air from heating system?
I have a small problem with my heater: it heats OK at higher RPMs, but at idle speed temperature drops. I was told this might be caused by some air pocket in the system.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Veteran
2008 Xterra SE

Generic method for just about any vehicle: Park it so your facing uphill slightly. Make sure that its cooled down, then pull off the radiator cap. See how much air volume is down the radiator neck. Add coolant. Put the cap back on, then find the fat hoses going to the radiator and squeeze them a couple dozen times in different places. Pull off the radiator cap and check again. Start it up and run it for a bit with the cap off, checking level constantly with the cap in hand, and put the cap on quick once you see the level rise up into the neck, shut it off, let it cool a bit, squeeze the hoses some more, then pull the cap again and check it again. Repeat as necessary. There shouldnt' be any air in the system at all. Any expansion of the coolant due to heating makes the radiator cap lift and the excess coolant go into the expansion tank, and when it cools it creates a vacuum that (slowly) draws coolant back in from the expansion tank. The only air gap in the system is in the expansion tank.

My 2008 SE

Last edited by gpzguy; 11-08-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Veteran
2008 Xterra SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdphoenix View Post
I haven't checked out the heater core on my X yet, but years ago, there was a vacuum valve connected to one of the heater core hoses. When you switched the system to "heat", the valve opened allowing hot water to flow through the core and have heat exchanged via air flow. The vacuum hose connecting to my valve had broken and I had the same problem. I'm guessing these days it's an electronic valve? Either way, is there some sort of control box or valve on one of the heater core hoses?
No such animal on the Xterra heater core per the FSM. Heated coolant is always flowing through the heater core when the engine is running. What determines how much of that heat is transfered into the passenger cabin is the position of air flap doors in the heater and cooling unit. This is actually pretty standard in Japanese vehicles I've noticed.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker13 View Post

Now the only thing left to fix from the body lift is my fuel filler neck, something I have not even looked into yet, but I dont expect much trouble from.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jesse

OH!!! That explains why my heater/ac didn't work for a couple of days!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior