How-to: Install Front Drive Shaft U-joints - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Old 07-18-2009, 06:30 PM
2005 Xterra S

Default How-to: Install Front Drive Shaft U-joints

So after listening to the clicking on the wifes 05 for a week I tackled the Front U-joints this morning. Wasn't sure which one was bad so I got 2 of them. NAPA, Autozone, Shucks, etc.... all had no listings for the Xterra, stealership wanted $90 a U-joint. (YES I REALLY JUST WROTE $90, NO MISTAKE THERE). So I went to NAPA and tried the ones for an 05 Pathfinder assuming the drivetrains where similar. For 13.99 after 10% military discount its the best decision i could have made. So here is how it went

P.S. this fixed problems three at once
1. Clicking on driveshaft
2. Vibration between 40-70 MPH
3. Difficult to kick out of 4WD see http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14149

There are U-Joint Instructions on 2 other threads but no pics, so I tried to help out. Let me know what you think.

Step 1. Locate front drive shaft and put some marks on the flange
yoke and companion flange (Chalk, Grease pen, I used silver sharpy.) This helps to line things up during install.

Front

Rear

Step 2. Remove 4 Ea nuts/ bolts hold front and rear Flange yokes to the Companion Flanges ( 2 9/16 wrenches, couldn't get the sockets to fit. Not easy though, you might have to put your purse down. I did) Then lay the driveshaft out so you can work on it.

Step 3. Mark up front and rear so you don't make a mistake putting it back in.
Front

Step 4 Remove the Snap Rings holding the journal bearings in.

Step 5 . Using whatever method suits you remove the old U-joints journal bearings. I use the U-Joint press from Harbor Freight. (Yes i know its Chinese and junk! But the military doesn't pay well and I am poor so $19.99 is a STEAL!!!) It makes it really easy to push out the journals.

Note: This is where I found my problem, rear joint had rusted needle bearings and had pretty much exploded.

Its like pick-up sticks

New vs Old. Spicer 529 and precision 369 (yes made in the USA)

Step 6 Remove the Journal bearings from the new U-joint and hand press them in from the side, insert the new joint in between and press together until the snap rings can fit in the groves. (Watch that the needle bearings don't fall out of place during this operation!)

Step 7 After pressing in both u-joints secure them with the supplied snap rings.

Step 8 Line up the previous marks keep the driveshaft front to back and finger tighten bolts.

Step 9 Tighten down the bolts. The service manual said 59.8 NM so i had to use a crowsfoot to get to them.

Step 10 Drive it like you stole it. Or in my case give it back to my wife.

Last edited by Keith_izzle; 12-30-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road

Excellent write up. Thanks for the pics ... FYI, stay on top of the grease application with those zerk fittings; I've read (on here, most probably) that the serviceable joints like those are only better if you remember to grease them. I only say it 'cause I know I'd probably forget.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran
2011 Magnetic Grey Metallic Tundra CrewMax TRD Off Road

Send a message via AIM to IZVERG Send a message via Yahoo to IZVERG

Nice write-up!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
2006 Xterra S

Wow nice job bud.

My X
Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Veteran
2005 Frontier NISMO

Quote:
Step 6 Remove the Journal bearings from the new U-joint and hand press them in from the side, insert the new joint in between and press together until the snap rings can fit in the groves. (Watch that the needle bearings don't fall out of place during this operation!)
In set 6 I see you are pressing both caps at the same time. It's better to compress one at a time to insure that needle bearings don't fall.
Mike 2005 NISMO CC 4X4-ICON 2.5 coilovers,AC 3 leaf pack,Bilstein shocks, 3" Body lift, Titan front differential, Pathfinder half shafts, 305/70R16, Cragar soft 8 steel rims, Aifflow snorkel, Shrockworks sliders and skids
member of the Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast
Old 07-19-2009, 01:43 AM
2005 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm4090 View Post
In set 6 I see you are pressing both caps at the same time. It's better to compress one at a time to insure that needle bearings don't fall.
I found that if you do both at the same time you can seat the journal inside each cap at the same time keeping the needle bearings in place. I tried doing one at a time but it almost cost me a new U-joint.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Veteran
05/6 TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

nice write up. some don't favor greasable bearings but I do. Just have to remember to have a schedule .
Military guys have to maintain equipment and that calls for a schedule of 7,14,28 56 day intervals or more.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Kieth, great right up. do have any part numbers you could share?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Veteran

I didn't in the process where you greased them. I am not much of a mechanic, learn as I go, did you do it during or after the repair?

Are the stock u-joints sealed and don't have to be greased? And the ones you put in need to be greased periodically? How do you grease them?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S 4x4

remember witht eh crowsfoot you need to decrease your torque setting slight, how much...i dont know

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's