auto tranny and fluid change requirement- legal??? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Default auto tranny and fluid change requirement- legal???

Hi! SO I have been thinking about doing a drain/fill in my auto tranny on my 07 xterra with almost 60k on it. Been looking through posts on here etc and see people suggesting other fluids to use etc. I looked at my manual and here is what it says:

Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the
NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

Are they saying that the atf NEVER needs changed for the average person but if you do change it you must use the automatic j fluid or risk tranny failure? I mean I know that it is illegal for manufacturers to require you to use THEIR fluid UNLESS they give it to you for free. With that verbiage, I think I have the right to go into the dealership and tell them I need to do a tranny service and they give me the fluid for free:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name….”(15 U.S.C. 2302(c)."

So, to me, if I should first go demand 11 quarts of matic J since my manual states J only and nothing about S, and if they refuse- which they will- get it in writing that they do both from the dealer and nissan corporate. It seems anal I know but the owners manual makes it sound like ONLY J will work and other stuff will screw your tranny. If i switch to amsoil or whatever and 40k down the road at 99k miles the tranny blows they are going to refuse a claim and blame the fluid and point right to the above statement from their manual. Even the S stuff scares me because they could do the same thing. They are idiots around here so that's why the paranoia.

whatcha all think? Shall we all send letters to nissan corporate for our free matic J for life since our trucks REQUIRE that and they are in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by requiring only that fluid??
K&N 57-6014 FIPK,Flowmaster 40/custom y-pipe, vistapro radiator, bully dog GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to Logisense

Nissan's specification is called "nissan matic j" theres other companys that MAKE matic j, but the "general atf" like amsoil sells, is what that statement is for. while yes, amsoil in my opinion makes the best lubicants for your car period, its not to the exact specs of nissan matic j. are you going to try and do the same for the engine oil?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Veteran

as far as engine oil, they "recommend" 5w-30 and there is no mention of brand. The tranny fluid is specifically listed as Nissan Matic J ONLY and they say it WILL cause damage that WILL NOT be covered by the warranty. That verbiage right there is saying that we are forced to use THEIR fluid otherwise ANY damage that occurs will not be covered by their warranty. That statement is violating the warranty act in that they don't mention anywhere that they will proviode the lubricant required for free. Look up the warranty act, read it, then read the manual. To me, it is a pretty blatant violation unless there is some sort of loophole their whiz-bang lawyers found or they figure not too many people will even care. I do because cars are expensive and I know better like all of you guys and gals..
Old 04-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Default right out of the 2007 xterra service manual

*2: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic
transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

Last edited by silverflash; 04-19-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: change
Old 04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Veteran

the specifically states genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF, not anything equivalent.
SO they need to provide me with J or S for free and if S provide a letter stating that they no longer make J and that S will suffice and any damage linked to using S is covered.

I am probably making way too much out of this but these dealers will use this stuff against us if they can make money. you know that.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Veteran
2004 Dakota SLT Quad Cab

Send a message via Yahoo to ZtotheX

ummm...Are you saying that Nissan has discontinued "J"???
Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Veteran
2005 s 4X2 s

silver flash- i did a drain and fill (aprox 4 quarts) at 76k and around 100,000 i checked my tranny fluid color and it was cooking oil color. a friend was in texas at that time and went to nissan dealer to pick up my J-matic.... came back with nissan D-matic. dealers down here dont carry anything but a nissan mex brand labeled V K. i had no choice but to use pennzoil atf wich listed as matic J compatible. i am concerned about using it but 4,000 miles later things seem to be ok with my tranny.

i would suggest doing the pump and re-fill method to get all your tranny fluid out. I dont suggest to anyone to do a flush on their tranny fluid with the machine since i have seen some posts about having problems after a machine flush.

it takes 2 people, drain the fluid through drain plug and re-fill amount that came out. next disconect the small hose entering the bottom of the radiator in front of engine oil filter area. cap radiator opening where hose came off.... using a 5 foot plastic hose attached with fitting to hose and start engine for less then 10 seconds..... the idea is simply to do about 1 quart at a time..... once you fill a quart jug, your helper will tell you to stop engine.... then insert 1 quart of new tranny fluid through dip stick hole.........since my fluid was cooking oil color, we continued to start and pump untill new red fluid started to come out of the clear hose. this procedure is not perfect and i had a clear fish tank size hose 4 feet long to insert in tranny dip stick hole to suck out excess tranny fluid..... took me about 5 to 8 times to get correct level at operating temp. if i remember correct, it took at least 12 quarts.

so doing a drain (aprox 4 quarts) your new fluid will mix with old fluid and dilute very quickly/ within 30k since it happened to me.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Veteran
2006 T-Swap Lightning Silver Xterra OR 4x4

Actually, Matic S is in the 09 Xterra, and possibly the 08, as well.

Silverflash, I say go for it. If you can get the fluid for free that would be awesome!!!

Personally, I have done drain and fills with Amsoil fully sysnthetic ATF (which meets Matic J specs) at 20K, 40K, and 60K miles. So far everything is working well. I have a 100K mile extended warranty, so I hope everything goes well for the next 35K miles.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra OR

For what it's worth, from the 2009 X service manual:

If Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF is not available, Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF may also be used. Using automatic transmission fluid other than NISSAN Matic S ATF or Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
Are they saying that the atf NEVER needs changed for the average person but if you do change it you must use the automatic j fluid or risk tranny failure? I mean I know that it is illegal for manufacturers to require you to use THEIR fluid UNLESS they give it to you for free. With that verbiage, I think I have the right to go into the dealership and tell them I need to do a tranny service and they give me the fluid for free:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name….”(15 U.S.C. 2302(c)."

So, to me, if I should first go demand 11 quarts of matic J since my manual states J only and nothing about S, and if they refuse- which they will- get it in writing that they do both from the dealer and nissan corporate. It seems anal I know but the owners manual makes it sound like ONLY J will work and other stuff will screw your tranny. If i switch to amsoil or whatever and 40k down the road at 99k miles the tranny blows they are going to refuse a claim and blame the fluid and point right to the above statement from their manual. Even the S stuff scares me because they could do the same thing. They are idiots around here so that's why the paranoia.

whatcha all think? Shall we all send letters to nissan corporate for our free matic J for life since our trucks REQUIRE that and they are in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by requiring only that fluid??
I don't know where you got the idea that they had to provide it for free. If they specialized a very specific lubricant / fluid for a design reason, it has nothing to do with WHERE you get the fluid from, only that the fluid used has to meet the specification.

For example, I have an Audi A6 with a ZF Tiptronic transmission that requires some VERY expensive fluid ($18-25 per quart, depending on who made it). Audi, like Nissan, is not going to take the time to test and certify other brand name manufaturer's product for use in their vehicles. They establish the standard for use, and it is up to the oil manufacturers to generate a product that meets (or exceeds) it.

My 2008 SE

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline