Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Fog Light Protection (Revised 10/11)

13K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  ZtotheX 
#1 · (Edited)
A few people (me included) have had their fog light lenses crack. Here is my inexpensive solution. (Can be used on aftermarket bumpers with some modification).

You are going to need a few things:

1) First, you should probably be ok will putting holes in your bumper, (Then you may continue to step 2).
2) a 27"x 96" sheet of diamond mesh from Lowe's for $8.56. (Doesn't have to be so big, there is a future mod planned with buying the big sheet).
3) 1 can of primer (I used gray) - $3.44.
4) 1 can of your choice color of spray paint or Plasti Dip spray (I used the Plasti) - $5.98.
5) Four or six large headed 1/2" Phillips screws or use washers (I had some laying around from uninstalling the mudflaps).

Tools needed:
1) Tin snips.
2) Tape measure.
3) Drill.

I appologize in advance for not having taken more pics, I did this @ my friends house and my camera was home.

1) Start by cutting Two 6.5" squares from the sheet of mesh material with the snips.
2) Round the corners and trim to the shape of the opening in front of the fog lights.
3) Prime and then paint the "Grills" you have created, and let dry. (You might also want to paint the head of the screws @ this point).
4) Add some door edge molding to clean up the edges and the look. (RTV silicone helps the molding to stay in place better).
5) Install with 2 or 3 screws on each side. (make sure the head of the screws is large enough to not go through the mesh holes).
6) Admire your work.

Finished Product:

Close up:

Update 10/2011:

I Hope this was useful.

Edit: Update: This mod does not obstruct any light from your fogs in case anyone was wondering. Also the Plasti-Dip has held up really well despite being beaten on after quite a few snow storms. Also, does not affect light output.

See less See more
#26 ·
I recently found out that Jeep JK turn signal light rock guards (such as they are) fit over our fog lights, given some light bending. Obviously the rock guards you tend to find won't do much for rocks (except really big ones), but there are some grille-style versions that you could stretch mesh over for a more OEM look.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176874

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.