Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

N.Y.X.'s M416 Overland Trailer Build

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  dreamX 
#1 · (Edited)
Original plan was Corey and I build a custom one off trailer, well there just isn't enough time in the day. So I found a steal of a deal on this '55 M416 locally so we will customize this and add all the final touches to make it more overland specific.

Original restorer was a local military man that restored it from the frame up as well as added all the extras and custom fab work. He kept all the original badges and re installed them however it is titled and registered in CO as a '99 homemade trailer. It was bought from him and it was used a total of 3 times. The shell is solid and rhino-lined (crappy job) and a custom steel cap and roof rack was added. The tongue was elongated and lowered and he added a home made battery box out of an military surplus container. There are also other various surplus containers bolted to the tongue for extra storage. He added a homemade solar panel that charges the dual, in-line red tops that are in the box. I plan on selling the RTT as it won't be ideal for my application. Here are the features and plans along with some current pics.

Current Setup:

• 12V-4 Pin LED Trailer Light System
  • E-Brake
  • 4 - Stabalizer Jacks
  • 2-Red Top Optima's w/ Inverter
  • Custom Solar Panels
  • 2 - Outelts
  • USB Charger
  • 15 Gallon Water Tank w/ Pump
  • Hot Water Heater/Shower
  • Tepui Ayer Roof Top Tent
  • Custom Steel Topper w/ Roof Rack
  • Spring Over Axle Conversion
  • 2 - 5x5.5 Steel Rims w/ Faux Beadlocks
  • 2 - 31x10.5x15 Tires
  • MudFlaps

Future Plans (TBD):

• Awning(s)
  • Lighting
  • Custom Aluminum Topper
  • Custom Aluminum Adjustable Roof Rack
  • Custom Dirt Bike Rack
  • Rotopax
  • 2 - 5x5.5 to 6x4.5 Adapters
  • 3 - 35x12.5x17 (Acquired)
  • 3 - MB TKO 17's (Acquired)
  • Wider Fenders w/ Mudflaps
  • Pull Out Stove and Sink
  • 2" Receiver/Hitch
  • Extended Mounts for the Stabilizer Jacks
  • Re-Weld and go over some of the work
  • Prime and Brush On Bed liner
  • Spare Tire Holder
  • LED Running Lights
  • Portable Runton 7W Solar Board (Acquired)
  • 11lb Propane Tank w/ Splitter for Hot Water Heater and Stove
  • Added Box Security
  • Max Coupler

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks all, with the larger tires and added max coupler I hope to have a fairly easy tow. Once I shave some weight and add some aluminum I hope that helps compensate some.

So the RTT is sold and I cleaned up some welds, sanded, primed and painted some areas that I felt needed some attention before I overhaul all the welds and paint.

I was thinking about relocating the battery box to the inside and making a ramp to drive my dirt bike up over it so it is sitting on the frame of the bike and strap it down from there. Anyone else have any potential dirt bike placement ideas?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Consider a Lock-n-Roll coupler instead of the Max Coupler ...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68664-Pintle-vs-Lock-amp-Roll-vs-Max-Coupler
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130984-Max-Coupler-Lock-n-Roll-or

Max Coupler is certainly the "cool kid" option ... and hard to argue with that choice when AT puts them on all their trailers (though, to be fair, they *are* made by AT - if memory serves, anyway). You will see some reports of LnR hitches binding and causing distortion/bending of components (on backing), but nothing recently ... and there's been a design change as well, that supposedly beefed the joint up.

The Max might have a bit more angle at absolute articulation, but I believe any of the three (Max, LnR, Pintle) would cover any angle that you'd see in real-world use (yes, even offroad on something crazy).

Where I think you will find the most differentiation is in how easy the LnR is to hook up, once it's disconnected ... very similar to a standard ball in that regard, whereas the Max requires exact alignment between the tow vehicle and trailer - this is all well and good when hooking up in a parking lot or to pull the trailer out of your garage, but what about when you're reconnecting after camping ... or when you've dropped the trailer to do a bit of scouting or exploring, and are trying to reconnect on rough ground or on a slope? Good luck maintaining the patience to get a perfect alignment then ...

#12 ·
Thanks for reminding me Jonathan, I will definitely be going with the lock-n-roll and not just cause an Xterra is featured in the video lol.

KRP, those timbrens look good, are they 2000lb total or is that per spindle? Either way, a great option for sure.

Well I scored a 1.4m Ironman4x4 Awning off craigslist for $120, it doesn't have the lights though. Also figured I should post the other trailer I fixed up and sold to help fund this one.

#14 ·
Agreed they are all the same here at the GOV auctions and stuff. Just too big. Keep your eye out for "bantam" trailers as well as they are similar to the m416 but the civilian model. Even harder to find but sometimes people don't know what they have. This page has some good stuff come up from time to time.... As well as the expedition portal.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/offroadtrailers/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.