Throttle Bottle Idle Air Re-learn - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 01-01-2009, 05:13 PM

Default Throttle Bottle Idle Air Re-learn

I would like to clean out the thottle body (using Throttle Body Spray Cleaner),

but I have stumbled upon some forums that say something about a rough idle, and that the computer has to "relearn" the idle/throttle position?

Something about a "Idle Air Volumn Relearn" procedure?

I didnt seen anything in the Factory Service Manual about this.

Saw somewhere about having to drive x amount of time at a certain speed (while patting your head and rubbing your tummy) to allow the computer to relearn.

This sounds like a real hassle.

here is a post on the Frontier forum;
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...problem-36101/

This nimrod used break cleaner, but aside from that, what concerns me is this "relearn procedure"

Anybody have any experience with this, and cleaning the thottle body?

I read USMC_Xterra's post about cleaning the throttle body, but he didnt say anything about a "relearning procedure".

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthr...=throttle+body

Thanks !

~Lewis

2005 Xterra Off Road
http:www.ghosttownexplorers.org

Last edited by XterraPA; 03-31-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra OR

You'll find the procedure on page EC-91 in the "Engine Control" section of the 2005 service manual. It's not too hard, but timing is critical. It took me three times before I mastered it. It's a bit like Dance Dance Revolution.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator / East North Central Regional Moderator
2005 Xterra Off Road

Hmmmm have u mastered dance revolution as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by acasper708 View Post
Hmmmm have u mastered dance revolution as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, but my daughters have. Talk about feet on fire!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 PM
2005 Xterra Off Road

I remembe way back they had somethin like that for nintendo 64 and we would get drunk and play golden eye but at the end of the night we were playin that stupid dance game it would turn into a competition. Man goldeneye was the best first person shooter of its time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Acasper708; 01-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Veteran
2005 s 4X2 s

i am not sure if you planned on removing the throtle intake body, i would suggest it. remember that you will have to disconect the 2 small hoses for the coolant lines and put something to cap them while you clean the throtle intake. i was not happy to see a plastic screen that did not allow access to the the intake housing area....we simply sprayed into it to try to loosen the nasty black stuff. so if you dont mind the time to take off the intake housing i would suggest you do.... this way you will have access to the whole system and be able to clean it perfect. good luck
Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM
2005 Xterra Off Road

If u live in warmer climate area I would just bypass the coolent lines just connect them together with a fitting. Its just there to keep butterfly from iceing up in really cold weather.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterramex View Post
i am not sure if you planned on removing the throtle intake body, i would suggest it. remember that you will have to disconect the 2 small hoses for the coolant lines and put something to cap them while you clean the throtle intake. i was not happy to see a plastic screen that did not allow access to the the intake housing area....we simply sprayed into it to try to loosen the nasty black stuff. so if you dont mind the time to take off the intake housing i would suggest you do.... this way you will have access to the whole system and be able to clean it perfect. good luck

that black plastic screen can be pulled out. just be careful cause there is a small clip that holds it in. i pulled the screen and cutoff the grid part, sanded down the edges and put the outer rim back into the intake.
'07 Frontier Nismo CC 2wd Storm Gray. 5" lift - Titan swap lift with PRG custom valved swayaways. Nismo catback. Volant CAI. Penski custom sliders. 350z tstat. stillen titan diff cover. superchips tuned (ask me about the group buy discount)
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM

It simply amazes me how many people throw curveballs on the internet.

My experience is that if it is really dirty, disconnect the battery while you are doing the procedure: unhook the ground cable.

I've ported Nissan throttle bodies (bell-mouthed) up to the point of where the blade touches down and have had no problems with any of the cars idling as long as I had disconnected the battery.

The only time I had a problem was when I did not disconnect the battery, cleaned a nasty unit of which the computer had compensated for, and then I proceded to run the car without disconnecting the battery. After a week it finally relearned. I just had to see if it would do it on my personal car.

3M makes a good T-bod cleaner.

I opened all t-bods by hand and none of the dozen DBW's (drive by wire) units broke. Treat it with respect.

Blue 2006 X 4x4
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator / Middle Atlantic Regional Moderator
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to XterraPA Send a message via Yahoo to XterraPA

Here is the manual idle relearn procedure I found.

Idle Air Volume Learning

DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific
range.

It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
 Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
 Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
 Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100°C (158 - 212°F)
 PNP switch: ON
 Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine
is started the headlamp will not be illuminated.
 Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
 Vehicle speed: Stopped
 Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models with CONSULT-II, drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/
T” system indicates less than 0.9V.
For A/T models without CONSULT-II, and M/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

Without CONSULT-II

NOTE:
 It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
 It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-89, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform EC-89, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline