How-to: Replace In-cabin Micro Filter - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Default How-to: Replace In-cabin Micro Filter

I searched several forums for How to on this. One forum someone said, Man this is such a Bitch! I was like screw it, let the dealer do it. Then I saw Dealer wants $79 to remove and install. I got filters from YourNissanParts.com for CHEAP! (Like $25) and did it myself with B Slaters PM'ed instructions.... in 30 seconds or less. $ave yourself the cash, DIY, the dealers should be ashamed for charging so much.

There are two filters that come in one pack, they are split so that they can fit into small hole. MC

B Slater PM'ed,
Ok this I can explain, because it isn't too bad.
1. Open the lower glove box.
2. Squeeze the sides of the lower glovebox until the pins pop out of the guides and keep rotating the glove box down. (It took more force than I figured it would to push in the sides of the glovebox.)
3. Once the glovebox is rotated out of the way (Which you probably have noticed everything in the lower glovebox is now on the floor) you can see where the cabin air filters are.
4. The filters are located almost on top of the blower motor near the passenger front side.
5. You will see a screw that looks like it holds a cover on which needs to be removed (Mine didn't have the screw in there for some odd reason)
6. You push on the tab to the right of where the screw was and the access door should come off. Then you will see the 2 filters in there. 1 filter is hidden off to the right but there is 2 in there. Remove and install with Airflow arrows DOWN. (No matter how they were)
7. That is it.

Thanks to B Slater for these Instructions - Tested by MC Work great!
Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 AM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Xterra Off-Road

I had a bitch of a time getting the new filters in when I did it. The instructions that came with the new filter were right though.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:46 PM

How often do you think these need to be changed? How bad were the old filters when you removed them?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Xterra Off-Road

I replaced mine at about 15,500 (they suggest 15k). Mine was really dirty. It probably has something to do with the wheeling, but I think I am going to at least look at mine every 10k or so and see if it should be replaced earlier.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman
I replaced mine at about 15,500 (they suggest 15k). Mine was really dirty. It probably has something to do with the wheeling, but I think I am going to at least look at mine every 10k or so and see if it should be replaced earlier.
x2
-Looking for Xterra #3
Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to offroadterra

I just did mine. Easy as pie. The directions said the Arrows face down.
Now I am confused???
Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Maybe it is Down, They come both ways from factory, we did not have directions with ours, so, if you have Nissan directions, we should change that. Just let me know, Cause we have had em both ways. Not that it matters but we want to do it the way Nissansays to do it, not how they did it. A lot of us are also missing the screw that holds em in, not like you need it though.

MC
Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Veteran

I am about to install my filters. I will let you all know the direction of the filters. Wish it would stop raining.

Edit:
I just looked this up in the service manual. Here is the text.

"The in-cabin microfilters are marked with air flow arrows. The
end of the microfilter with the arrow should face the rear of the
vehicle. The arrows should point downward."

edit2: Like MC my filter had no screw, plus the arrows were facing up. Talk about quality control
Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Veteran

Thanks Kokopop! I went ahead and corrected my directions. I knew there was a problem with them when I did it. Just never found the real answer. But, now we have it! Quality control for sure! Whoever does that sure don't pay attention. I wonder if that could be the "Whistle" noise some people complain about? (The filters being installed up side down?)
It don't really look like it matters. Oh well, we have it right and that's what does matter!

Never pay to have that one done! You needed to go through the crap in your glove box anyways!

MC
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to offroadterra

I have a better one for ya. My filter was there with a screw when I got the truck. I took it to Nissan for the 15,000 service. I had noticed some dust if you will coming out of the vents. I open my glovebox and wouldn't ya know. No screw, No filter. They must have taken it out to replace and forgot. I only noticed this about a week ago (14,000 miles later) Stealership strikes again..

Edit: The directions say what Keith quoted from the manual.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's