Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

heater - not blowing warm or hot air?

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  douglasadietz 
#1 ·
My new to me 2005 xterra is getting a full service. I am working on the radiator flush and am unable to get any warm or hot air. outside air temps are 80. Engine fully warmed up. Cabin filter was dirty and its been removed untill replacment. The coolant hose running, located on engine side firewall, to the heater is hot.

The A/C works great. So its either the temp control switch or ???? :confused:

Guess I should have checked the heater out on test drive....:drunken: in JULY...

#5 ·
Put the cap on the radiator
Fill the resivior to the max line, maybe a little more.
Go drive it, do a full throttle accel and wind the engine up all the way.
Check the resivior that it is still at filled to the max line. IF it dropped you burped an air bubble. Keep repeating until it stays at the max line. Your air bubbles should be all gone at this point.

Tips.
Do NOT remove the cap on the radiator any more. This WILL introduce mor air into the cooling system. Only add to the resivior.
the resivior is part of the pressurized cooling system so don't remove the cap while the engine is hot.
Technically the resivior is not an overflow tank like cars of the past. It is part of the pressurized cooling system and is really a "degas bottle", who's job it is to remove air bubbles from the cooling loop. Also happens to act as an expansion chamber. If it gets low then it can't degas the cooling loop. Keep it filled to the max line and it works good.
High engine RPM spins the water pump the fastest, which pumps the hardest, which will help push out the air bubbles. You will never push out air bubbles if it just idles, needs RPM.

#6 ·
i use one of these to bleed coolant on my cars.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410gKy372TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

all you gotta do is hook up the funnel, fill it with coolant, and let the engine idle. it should allow any and all air bubbles to come out. When i first purchased my x, my heat SUCKED. I bought this, got out all the air bubbles, and its been fine ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.