Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Grinding noise

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Redbrawn06 
#1 ·
Hey,
I have a 6spd man transmission and recently ive been getting a strange grinding noise. It happens in every gear after about 2500 rpm's. If i shift it goes away until, you guessed it, i hit 2500 RPM's again. does anyone know what it is?

#5 ·
where does it come from or seem to come from..how loud is it....many phones can now take sound clips...or video clips..can you upload one? it would help us diagnose your problem.....does the sound seem to come from a certain side of the truck...or the middle?

you may have a bad torque converter....however, this is incredibly rare on these trucks...

#9 ·
Here's my two cents' worth. I also have a 6-speed, have heard a rattling noise while accelerating. Seems to go away if I just barely put pressure on the clutch pedal.

I think I've found a likely candidate. There is a pin that connects the clutch pedal lever to a clevis that most likely goes into the clutch master cylinder. (see arrow in pictures below)

When the clutch is fully released, there is no pressure on this pin. The holes in the pedal lever and clevis are slightly larger than the pin, which allows the pin to rattle.

The mechanism is set up this way so that there is zero pressure being applied from the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder when the clutch is released. Any residual pressure being applied could potentially cause clutch slippage, premature clutch wear, so on and so forth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having the pin rattle, it's just annoying. That being said, I'm also trying to figure out how to get it to stop...

#11 ·
It seems to come from the middle. I'll try to upload a sound clip if I can capture it. It's subtle but if you drove the car every day or ride in it every day it becomes oh so prominent. It will annoy this $hit out of you. I'll check out that thread though
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.