Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Hood {{Rattling}} and ((Shaking))

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Tlrtucker 
#1 ·
I cannot get my hood to stop shaking. It has been getting progressively worse. Now it rattles at the latch which I can hear inside the cabin. I have tried adjusting the rubber perch things and it still does it. It does not seem like the latch is loose. The rubber stops seem really soft, I wonder if I need to try some different ones or what. Does not look like the latch is adjustable.

#4 ·
It's not a squeek, it's a rattle. I can pound on the hood and the rattling seems to come from where the hood actually engages the latch, like it doesn't have a good pull or grip on the hood. My hood shakes at 50+ mph but smoothes out at 85+

#6 ·
I just fixed the problem on my X. The rubber hood bumpers wear out and allow the hood to have some play. Replace them with new ones - they should be about $5 from Nissan.

I see your Xterra is an '05, just like mine, so I can guess your bumpers were as worn as mine.

I drove all the way to and from GONEMoab with that rattling. Installed the new bumpers and the annoying sound is gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.