How-to: Change the Thermostat - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by masscomguru View Post
how does the computer know the thermostat is out? what was the code? I have never heard of that...
Since it does not appear this question was answered. In the generic OBDII codes (P0--- not P1---) there are at least 2 thermostat under temperature codes. Pretty much it means that the engine is taking too long to reach operating temperature or it never actually makes it to temp. Slight chance it could be a sensor or wiring issue but the bulk of the time it means that the thermostat is failed/failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran
2005 Polar Bear White Xterra SE

Sweet man, glad that helped!! /
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran
2006 T-Swap Lightning Silver Xterra OR 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by masscomguru View Post
how does the computer know the thermostat is out? what was the code? I have never heard of that...
P0128 is a code for low coolant temperature. Many times this code will come on due to a faulty thermostat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran

as I don't have this code yet, but seem to be running a few degrees colder than i used to and it's taking longer to heat up, I will wait till after december 21st, just in case i screw the job up. Need my "get out of dodge and to the mountains" vehicle ready just in case!

:-)
K&N 57-6014 FIPK,Flowmaster 40/custom y-pipe, vistapro radiator, bully dog GT
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Veteran

any issues when tightening or removing the 3 bolts that hold the t-stat on? Did you use a torque wrench and if you didn't is there room for one? i like to snug things down well but am heavy handed it seems and i think tighter is better when it's not and can break!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
any issues when tightening or removing the 3 bolts that hold the t-stat on? Did you use a torque wrench and if you didn't is there room for one? i like to snug things down well but am heavy handed it seems and i think tighter is better when it's not and can break!
Good questions. As per our PM convo: I wasn't able to find anything on the torque specs for the bolts so I jst tightened them until I felt comfortable (not to break). Jst by feel, taking into consideration how tight they were when you unbolted them. I know it's hard to measure... But that's how I did it and it hasn't given me problems. I only used the gasket... From what I read/was told by the Nissan techs that's all you needed. Also, I didn't use a funnel. I did put a towel around the radiator so it wouldn't make a mess. This is important so you don't get the fluid all over the place (especially careful to not get any on your belts).
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran
2006 T-Swap Lightning Silver Xterra OR 4x4

Quote:
My FSM says 80 in-lbs for the thermostat housing bolts. That is not much torque at all.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran

so my plan is to just finger tighten with socket and fingers then put put 1/4" ratchet on it and tighten bolts while holding the ratchet/socket near the junction of the socket and ratchet head until snug. That way, i should not get too much torque that would break a bolt...right?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
so my plan is to just finger tighten with socket and fingers then put put 1/4" ratchet on it and tighten bolts while holding the ratchet/socket near the junction of the socket and ratchet head until snug. That way, i should not get too much torque that would break a bolt...right?
Yup, thats exactly what I did!!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 AM
2006 Xterra S

I'm having a problem with the hot air inside the car, it never seems to blow hot unless i'm accelerating, even after driving for 20+ mins it still seems to blow cold air unless i'm accelerating from a stop, could this be a bad tstat?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline