Replacing "Dim" Problem in Headlight? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM
2008 Xterra SE

Default Replacing "Dim" Problem in Headlight?

My #1 issue with my X is the garbage headlights. I have upgraded to SilverStar Ultras and it added about 5% increase in brightness. What actually makes the lights suck? the bulbs? the housing? the wiring? Is there a way to replace any of these items with aftermarket? By that I mean like, Installing say, a Titan's headlight assembly in our housing, or something along those lines?
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
2005 Frontier NISMO 4X4

Go to hid projectors youll be happy, im so happy ive changed all my vehicles to hid projectors over halogen. And no i dont meen the bulbs, i meen projectors. Check ebay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Xterra Manual S 4x4

Parking in front of a wall with the lights on, they seem bright. After I upgraded to HID projectors (see: Heus33) with 35w ballasts, they actually were just as bright as my GTIs lights. But on the road, they seem dim. I think it's because they lights are high off the ground and leave a dead spot you can see near you. It gives the impression that they aren't working right. Evn after upgrading again to 55WAC ballasts the dead spot bothers me. So I often drive with th fogs on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
2008 Xterra SE

Thanks guys. I rode in my friends Tundra last week and his lights are at least twice as bright as mine on bright, and his are stock bulbs. I would just like to know what actually makes them suck.

I will have to "learn" HID lighting. I know you can go cheap and its useless, or higher priced and they are good. I have read a good bit of people on here saying when they run HIDs they get tired of being bright-lighted. However, at this point I wouldn't mind.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
2005 Frontier NISMO 4X4

People get bright lighted when they run just the hid bulbs only without projectors and shields which scatters light everywhere. A low beam projector has a shield on the bottom(flips the image to the top just like your eyes do when it goes through the convex lense) and this gives a cut off that you adjust to the correct level. It has a definit line and step in the middle(the step is where the cutoff goes though the center of the projector lense) and then many models now use a motorized shield that flips down for brights using the same bulb.
Do you know why most all high end vehicles and many mid range have as standard or at least an option? Because theyre vastly superior lighting. Now many high end cars are going to leds now that their quality and intensity have been greatly improved too. I adjust my projectors so the cutoff is right at the top of the trunk lids of most cars. Higher than that and youll piss people off.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off Road

My stock fog lights now in the Shrock bumper fill in that low point under the headlights very well.
Shrockworks Sliders/Skids/Diff/Bumpers, fwd: ICON 2.5, aft: AC Shackles/Deaver mini-pack/Bilstien 5125s, V1, Garmin 660, Delorme PN-40, Ultragauge, Yaesu FT-8800, MileMarker SE12 w/fireline, BFG KM2's/17" MB 72, Engel 45, KC's, 338W of LED lights, custom: roof light bar and rack, fuel storage, pin striping, hi-lift, & camera mounts.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Have you tried adjusting your headlight aim since you di the lift? I used one of many diy methods, then on my way to work each morning, stopped behind the coffee shop and tweaked them until they were giving good range, but not blinding. It takes a little trial and error to find the sweet spot, but its there.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 AM
2008 Xterra SE

Thanks for the info. I haven't adjusted them. I will look into that. Brights just look so weak spreading out. Can u give me info on a good HID setup? I know I should just search lol. Wish it was easy to run fogs on bright
Old 10-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Xterra Manual S 4x4

Search. Heus33 will either sell you the parts, sell you completed lights or do yours for a reasonable price. If you get the DIY parts follow my How-To.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM
2008 Xterra SE

So, I am guessing something in this link is NOT good? Looks cool though. Says it comes with H1 low and Hi beams.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...p2042998.m1253

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical