Throttle Bottle Idle Air Re-learn - Page 7 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM
2008 Xterra S

this is the only down fall to all this new high tech computerized stuff ....kinda miss the good old days of vehicles without all the fancy crap was much easier to work on LOL
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

Stupid question but in this How-to for the IAVL, what does "MIL" mean? It refers to waiting for MIL to stop blinking and turn to ON. What exactly is blinking? Sounds dumb but I dont know that particular terminology

My Xterra
My Photography
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran
2006 T-Swap Lightning Silver Xterra OR 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Stupid question but in this How-to for the IAVL, what does "MIL" mean? It refers to waiting for MIL to stop blinking and turn to ON. What exactly is blinking? Sounds dumb but I dont know that particular terminology
"MIL" = Malfunction Indicator Lamp - aka Check Engine Light (CEL) aka Service Engine Soon (SES) light.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

haha alright, that is what I figured. That is what I used, got it actually right 3 times I believe, to where it went through it's little phases and then went solid. The light would stay off for maybe two starts and then come back on, looks like I need to go ahead and look at some other issues. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

I think I need to do this, got a P0172 code. Already cleaned the MAF, and my filter. Still keeps throwing codes. Hopefully I can resolve this at home, don't really like my dealership service dept.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Noobie
2006 Xterra S

The PNP switch is referring the Park/Neutral position switch.. For it to be ON:
Auto Trans - Park or Neutral, Manual Trans - Neutral

Here's a cool graphic from the service manual that shows the process for entering the "idle air volume learning" mode if this helps anyone..

Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
2006 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks View Post
The PNP switch is referring the Park/Neutral position switch.. For it to be ON:
Auto Trans - Park or Neutral, Manual Trans - Neutral

Here's a cool graphic from the service manual that shows the process for entering the "idle air volume learning" mode if this helps anyone..

At first that diagram made no sense. But after looking at it, it does almost make it easier.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 AM
West North Central Regional Moderator
2006 Solar Yellow - ew3 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmeister View Post
After attempting a few times (2 days :P) I figured i was doing something wrong. Duh!
I grabbed a stop watch and made a simple calculation. It worked the first time, so I unplugged the TB again to re try it (haha) hoping that it worked again just in case i ran into this again and it did. So i gave it a third try and work again.
Normal way:
Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.

My Way with time watch
Now, this is how I did it and hope this will be a easier way to understand how to do it.
00:00 Turn key to ign. on
00:03 Press gas pedal 5 times (all the way down and realease) before 5 sec. (00:08)The total 5sec. Now wait 7 sec. more
This is were i think i was going wrong before, I was pressing the pedal 5 times and did not take into consideration that even if it took me 3 sec to press the pedal 5 times you STILL have to wait the hole 5 sec. before going onto waiting for the next 7 sec.
00:15 Press and hold the gas pedal until the MIL light goes solid, once this happens release gas pedal and start engine.
Let it idle and you should be good to go

idle relearn completed! the shortbus hasn't idled this low in years. CEL is out too. only took me 3 tries using this method. easy peasy!
i love how at the GPAX mod days our rigs (speaking about ROOK) were equal sliders, spacers aal, fangars light bars, pio dvd headunits, etc... now your truck has just launched into space and my truck is at a drive up bank trying to order a hotdog because he cannot read.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
2006 Xterra X

what is the MIL light?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

^look 4 posts above yours at posts 62,63, and 64

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline