Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

N.Y.X. BUILD 2.0: MOAB PREP!!! 4.10's, Locked, Custom Bumpers ~ Updated: 9/28/15

93K views 645 replies 71 participants last post by  GPD605X 
#1 · (Edited)
Intro Comments: Built, Not Bought:) I don't know what Nissan is my favorite but I love my X. I loved my 350Z and I can't wait to own a GTR someday, but this X is going to be around a LONG TIME!!!

Username: N.Y.X.
Make:
Nissan
Year: 2006
Model: Xterra
Trim: S*
Color: Night Armor

Miles:
107K miles as of 9/14/15
*Off Road Established 2013/Titan Swapped 2014

MODS

Interior:
Replaced Rear Hatch Springs w/175lb McMaster-Carr's
Xterra All Weather Mats
Raingler RSXN Large Net
Raingler RIXN Large Ceiling Net
Raingler RMN Cargo Net

Raingler Upper Half Divider
Raingler Seat Headrest Handle
Custom CB and Holster Mount
GPS Dock with Bully Dog Retrofit
Dual Compressor Mount

Armor:
Custom Front Tube/Plate bumper
Custom Rear Tube/Plate Wrap Around Bumper
HeftyFab Engine, Transmission, T.C. and Gas Tank Skids
HeftyFab Sliders Powder coated Black w/ Integrated Step
Ballistic Fabricators Rear Diff Cover
Rear Taillight Guards
PRG Titan Flip Kit w/ Bash Plates
Custom Rear Shock Skids

Exterior:
AVS Ventshades
Burnt Orange Emblems and Calipers
Front Matching Tint
Trico 16-B Rear Wiper w/ Stronger Spring
OEM 7 Pin Harness installed in Bumper
Removed Front and Rear Sway Bar
Gobi Stealth Rack w/ LED Retro Fit
Gobi Ladder

Ironman 4X4 Awning

Performance:
Bullydog GT Gas
RAM Bullydog Suction Mount
Airflow Snorkel
Black XTP Intake Manifold Spacer
Magnaflow 2 into 1 muffler
CSF-100% Aluminum Radiator
4.10 Revolution/Superior Gears

Suspension/Lift/Wheels:
5 - Nitto Trail Grappler M/T: 35X12.50R17E2
5 - Black MB TKO: 17X8.5, 12 Offset, 6x114.3
Nisstec Rear Shackles
Deaver Xterra Frankenpack with Front Toyota '85 Pickup Procomp Leafs
Nissan Online Parts 2" Body Lift
Bilstein 33-185552 Rear Shocks; Ext (in): 25.93 / Col (in): 15.91 = Travel 10.02 (in)

On Board Air:
Viair 380C x 2
Viair 2.5 gal. Tank
ARB Tire Deflator
Ingersoll Rand Regulator Filter
10lb Powertank

Titan Swap at 104K miles:
New OEM M205, 3.36 Front Differential
ARB Front Locker M205
S.A.W. 2.5, 14" Length, 600Lb
PRG Titan UCA's
OEM Titan LCA's
Moog Titan Inner/Outer Tie Rods
2 - 2" Rear Wheel Spacers
3 - Cardone Titan Axles
PRG Extended Front Brake Lines
Nisstec Extended Rear Brake Lines

Drivetrain Swap "S" to "Off Road" at 100K Miles:
R180, 3.36 w/ about 90K out of Off Road Frontier
M226, 3.36, E-Locker w/ about 90K out of Off Road Frontier (Blew E-Locker @103K)
2 - New ReMan'd Half-Shafts @102K miles
Royal Purple 75W-90 & 75W-140 for Diffs
29-Spline/6-Bolt Pinion flange and Replaced Pinion Seal @102K miles
ARB Locker RD149 @103K miles
Replaced both axle bearings, sleeves, seals @103K miles
Diff Breather Extension w/ Toyota Nipple and Breather

Electrical/Lighting:
Pioneer HD/CD/MP3
Yellow Top Optima @ 97K miles (Warranty replacement 7/2015)
5000K H.I.D. Headlight Kit (REPLACED- Had so many issues with these HID's I replaced them with SilverStar Ultra II's.)
Wired Side Markers w/Turn Signals
TOTRON Pro Series 40" Combo Light Bar-Zombie Lights
TOTRON 3" Flood (3-Reverse; 4-Zombie Lights)-Rear and Alley Lights

Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Box
OTRATTW Switches (Fog, Bumper Light Bar, Rear Lights, Zombie Lights, Rear Locker, Front Locker)
300 AMP In Line Breaker Switch
Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio
WILSON ANTENNAS 305-830 18' Belden Coax Cable
Hot Orange 4' Firestik II w/ Orange Tennis Ball
Firestik Door Jamb Mount
Firestik SS HD Spring
Firestik K1A Disconnect
Derale 16309 9" Dyno-Cool Transmission Fan
Torqflo Transmission Cooler

Recovery/Trail Tools:
5 - 5/8's Crosby D-Links
48" Hi-Lift
2 - Warn 29899 - 3"x30' - Premium Recovery Straps
ENGO EPF10000 Winch w/ Wireless Remote
ENGO 8-Ton Grease-able Snatch Block
ENGO Tree Saver 10'x3" 26,500lbs
Lotus Hi-Lift Slider Adapter
Craftsman 153PC Universal MTS Set
Craftsman 58PC Max Axess Set

Maintenance:
Mobil1 5W-30
Front Shaft U-Joints @70K miles
In-Cabin Filters @96K miles
NGKLaser Platinum Spark Plug (PLFR5A-11) @97K miles
2nd Tranny Cooler w/Radiator bypass @70K miles
Front Rotors @70K miles
Front Premium Ceramic Brake Pads @98K miles
Rear Premium Ceramic Brake Pads @98K miles
Front TC Output Seal @97K miles
Rear TC Output Seal @103K miles
TC Drain and Re-Fill w/Nissan Matic D @97K miles
PM Tranny Flush w/Nissan Matic S @103K miles
F/R Differentials Drain and Re-Fill w/Royal Purple Severe Gear 75W-90 @97K miles
Blower Motor Resistor @90K miles
New Washers Used for every Fluid Change (except oil)
M226: Royal Purple 75W-140 @103K Miles
M205: Royal Purple 75W-90 @104K Miles
New Spherical Bearings for the PRG UCA's @ 105K Miles

Next Up: Winch (Rear), dual batteries, off road trailer...

PHOTOS

September 2014 TOTM Winner
Photo By: Dan Taber

Toyo Tires 2014 Carve Your Adventure Photo Winner

TreadWright Week 3 dogs of Off Roading Photo Winner

As She Sits 8/29/2015:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Looking good! Wooo for fellow "S"-ers! :)
Thanks ma'am!!!!

PHOTOS

Day I picked her up 8/2010:

As she sits 6/1/14:

As she sits 5/17/14:

As she sits 7/15/13:

Won a free set of tires!!

Me in "Paint Mode" Papa Panzarella would have been proud!!!

#6 ·
Actually that's my heat gun tinting skills at work!!!! I ordered a thicker headlight tint from ebay and worked it really slow with the heat gun and the squeegee... I got one side a lil 2 hot and the tint ripped a lil but it's barely noticeable... I did my zx10r (blinkers and taillight) with VHT and loved it, if you use it though make sure you sand down with a light grit (300-600) to take all the minor flaws out... For example I sprayed my wind visor on the zx10r and you can see where the kawasaki sticker was because that area was like new because it had the sticker protecting the area from bugs, grit, etc....

#8 ·
Hey, when you stealthed your wheels did you cover the bolt holes or no? If so how did you do it?
I guess what I'm saying is I don't want the paint sitting down in the ring where the nuts will tighten on and eventually adhese themselves so when I go to take the wheels off I don't want the nuts to stick and peel/crack the paint off...

#9 ·
Totally understand, our trucks are lug centric so they have that beveled edge on the inside of the lug hole rather than a flat surface. All you need to do is cover the beveled part so the lug makes the correct contact and doesn't loosen up from the paint. To be honest this last time around I just dropped like 3-4 pennies in each hole and made sure they completely covered that beveled edge. I almost plasti-dipped them this time but b/c I all ready put 4 coats of rustoleum on 2 years ago I should just continue using it. I plasti-dipped the front grill though to test it out, **** is awesome!!! Check out this video, you dont have to tape off the rubber, the lugs, just the rotor area... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

#11 ·
I like the look of your X! I see you got 3" front lift and about 3.5" in the back, did you extend any brake lines do anything else to the suspension other than the spacers/ aal? looking to install mine this weekend, it's 2.5 up front and 1.5 in the back spacer/shackle, will most likely end up ordering the 1.5" aal as well to get the rake back and just wanted to know if the it should be fine with just that.

#12 ·
I didn't have to extend any lines or anything. I had to do the AAL in the rear because the leaf pack is notoriously weak and flatten out easily. I towed 4000lbs from NY-CO so there was a very noticeable difference, the leafs were practically flat. Very easy and straightforward install, air tools make it a lot faster. Your UCA's will likely smack the top of the strut tower mount, I don't have a bumper on mine. I would remove your front and rear sway bars while you're at it. I broke my rear link 3-wheeling on a descent. Let me know if you have any questions but when I did mine it was in the driveway doing one wheel at a time, it's not bad at all....

#15 ·
My buddy and I have been going back and forth if it would be worth getting M/T tires b/c I was thinking the same thing, more traction offroad... He swears that I would see next to no difference with my modifications on dry ground with new Duratracs... So I haven't swapped them out yet, not to mention they wear evenly, they're great for a daily driver, they're cheaper... My only down side really is the fact that they are like the HEAVIEST 285/75/16's on the market IMO... I lined up against a range rover S, from a dead stop he killed me!!! however rolling as she sits today he only got me by 2-3 car lengths!!! These things are rugged and I've beat the sidewalls pretty good, all in all I'm happy. However I've been told that they wear soft, so always get them rotated "on the books" every 3-5000K miles so you can get a discount on then next set!! If they're worn to the shops specs at 35K miles and they're 50K life they will hook you up with the new set at the prorated price from the 15K miles you didn't get out of them!! I thought that was pretty sweet...

#24 · (Edited)
Here's the completed version that I am currently driving around with. I made the make shift light (Zip tied to the spare for the time being haha) until I figure out how I want to wire everything up and mount the license plate.

Ok, I took some more pics of the receiver.
Slightly ground down:

The green tape shows a 6" drop.

#34 ·
Well it looks like I broke my half shaft... and diff:/ I can't get it to disengage and am kind of bumming right now... I was on hell's revenge and over extended and over torqued it and the shaft popped out; heard a clunk and then a clicking noise while trying to turn the front wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.