Gear Shift Light?? - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Old 04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Canadian S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPN4125 View Post
Not to be a d!ck or anything but how is this comment even remotely helpful? Why bother posting that?

But then again this comment isn't helpful either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo Freak View Post
I was driving my 2010 Xterra yesterday night and when I park the truck I noticed that the gear shift light wasnt working. My wife said she have never seen it on....but i can swear it use to work. Maybe someone can help me here. I just want to know if this light is supposed to be on or its like my friends outlander that it dont come with a light from the factory

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaphi216 View Post
are you talking about a light in the dash that says "shift" at the apporpriate time or the light in the console that illuminates what gear you are in?

if its the second one, it's an easy bulb swap out.
Not to be a **** or anything but I thought it was about as useful as the OP. When I read the title of the thread, and the original post I still did not know if he was talking about the light that comes on to show what gear his automatic transmission is in OR if it were the shift light that comes on in a manual transmission.

As for it burning out after only 9 months I would suggest you don't touch it. Next time you bring it in for service have them take a look at it. These lights are not supposed to burn out that quickly, you may have a bad ground that caused the light to burn out prematurely. Your vehicle is still under warranty, next time you bring it in for service have them change the light and see if there is more to this than a bad bulb. I am a pro warranty guy, that would be the only benefit to buying a new or newer vehicle - might as well use what you pay a premium for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S (?)

Just noticed that this happened to me. I looked down and not on. I took the shifter apart and the bulb was fine. Put it back in and it turned on. Put the shifter back together and it went off. As I was trying to get the bulb out with pulling the shifter apart it went on again. As I was putting everything back together it went out. Though I heard some crackling from that area but wasn't to sure. Had the windows open and alot of crickets were around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S (?)

Anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

the bulb is probably loose in the socket. pull it all apart and see if it wiggles in the socket at all....
i love how at the GPAX mod days our rigs (speaking about ROOK) were equal sliders, spacers aal, fangars light bars, pio dvd headunits, etc... now your truck has just launched into space and my truck is at a drive up bank trying to order a hotdog because he cannot read.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S (?)

Tried the bulb and thats not it. Thanks though.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

i am trying to picture the wiring under there.....it's got to be a loose connection somewhere. have you tried using a multimeter to see if the wiring has power even when the bulb is out? grabbing at straws here...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S (?)

No. Its 2 green wires then run forward and then under the shifter. I will try that multimeter.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Veteran
2005 Lightning Silver Xterra SE (Jurassic Edition)

I know this is old.... but has anyone else done this? Xterra1102, which thread did you find those console pictures from? My lights are out and I would love to make them red leds
GPD605X's Build Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPD605X View Post
I know this is old.... but has anyone else done this? Xterra1102, which thread did you find those console pictures from? My lights are out and I would love to make them red leds
i've done it. mine are blue. i just snipped the bulb socket off and wired in a 4-6" strip of blue leds. You can't just swap the bulb because of how it's set up. There's a plastic reflector in there that bounces the light up to the letters. A LED bulb is too directional for it to light up the far end. I stuck the led strip to the bottom of the plastic reflector with some doublesided clear tape. If you take it apart, you'll understand what I mean.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM
2012 Xterra S

F.Y.I. the stock bulb is a # 73. (at least on my 2012) The 168/194 is a different base size. I tried some of those led replacement bulbs. They don't do much.. So. for those who did the led strip, does it still highlight whatever gear you are in?
Thanks!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical