Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Rear Drive Shaft

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Rook 
#1 ·
I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my question, so here goes. I would like to replace the u-joint on my rear drive shaft, it's making noise when I'm in reverse. So I bought 1 Precision Super Strength 254 u-joint. When I remove the rear driveshaft, just unbolt it on both sides, remove, bring to the local machine shop and have them replace the u-joint on the driveshaft, bring back and re-install on truck. Question is, will I have any t-case fluid come out anywhere? Do I have to replace any gaskets? Anything else I should know? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
if you pull the slip yolk, yes, fluid will dribble out. Not much, but have some on had to top off your t-case just in case. No seals should need to be replaced.

there is also more than enough room to get at the u-joint on the truck. If you have the tools and know how to remove the shaft, I'd say just swap the joint yourself without pulling the shaft.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I will probably drain and replace the t-case fluid when I do this. As far as replacing the u-joint when the other side of the drive shaft is still bolted on, don't I need a special tool to remove the old u-joint and then re-install the new one?
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 · (Edited)
IMHO...stay away from the precision U-joints...one of mine failed on the front of my rig offroading and blew the entire drivetrain of my rig apart....that-Ujoint cost me a lot of money in repairs....but I owe it to it...i would not have titan swapped my rig without that catastrophic failure.

#8 ·
Rook is a well established member on this site and I am not saying he is wrong, but considering I have had to replace all 3 UJ on my ride with less than 80k miles tells me that the nissan UJ are crap.

Rook wheels his ride hard from all of the posts I have read over the past year and this is not the first time he has chimmed in on the Precision UJ not being is "go to" UJ

So, heed his warnings, but also take into consideration that Precision has long been some of the best parts made in this country.

FWIW-I have precision on all 3 of mine and they are the greasable types. I have about 5k on them at this point with no issues, but than again, I dont go to Moab or wheel my ride as hard as Rook and others do.

#10 · (Edited)
All I know is I installed the precision U-joints and three weeks later my entire drive train was wrecked....I wheeled hard on the OEM u-joints and never had a problem...all through Moab. All U-joints have a life span that is finite. they are a wear item. IMHO 80k for a ujoint on a 4500 lb rig is pretty good...plus we have no idea how the rig was used....or how hard ti was driven. It's all relative.

now, this being said. I don't care how well respected I am or I am not on this board...I am here to tell you the fact is.... that I blew that U-joint apart wheeling not too challenging of an obstacle (I had done the same obstacle at least twice before with the OEM parts). the proof is in the pudding (pictures) Ujoints should NEVER shear where mine did that day...

the choice is up to you. all other parts of theirs I used in my old XJ were great. and they have a solid reputation. the bottom line is...greasable U-joints are not nearly as strong as ungreasable ones due to that grease channel (you can see it as the hole in the sheared portion in the pic)

and apparently others agree with me that Precision is less than adequate... :D
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=454651&postcount=10

#12 ·
I wasnt trying to grind on you Rook and I hope you didnt take it that way as I certainly respect your opinoin, as do many others.

I saw the picturs of that sheered UJ and I agree with, should never happen.

I dont wheel my rig hard, it sees 80mph on the HWY, gets muddy getting to some off the beaten paths to launch the kayak. So, I certainly dont punish my rig as much as others do.

I replaced two OEM UJ within the first 40k with the OEM, replaced them all again at 80k as the same two were shot. Although we all agree that it is certainly a part has a finite life...40k is still skinny on a OEM, IMHO.

I dont think 4 OEM UJ/Spicer should go bad with under 80k with what I would call, normal driving.

I do think the greasable UJ do have more of a chance to shear at the ZERT, much like yours did. I had Precision UJ in my TACO and I did wheel the hell out that truck including two trips to MOAB and countless drives across chisel plow corn fields in the dead of winter. With no issues on the UJ

So, at the end of the day, I agree with you that if you are wheeling hard, you might want to stick with the Nissan OEM so you dont have to worry about the possibilty of sheer, but if you "light duty" your truck, I believe you will be better off with an after market that cost 300% less money than OEM and probably last you longer under "normal" conditions.

It certainly is relative, I agree.

#11 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate you guys taking the time. I already have the ungreasable Super Strength Precision u-joints replaced in front, had the machine shop install them on the drive shaft. I also bought the ungreasable Super Strength for the rear that I will also have the shop install. I don't off road, just firetrails for hunting and fishing. With this in mind I'm going to roll the dice on these Precision u-joints, fingers crossed! Thanks again everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 · (Edited)
^ haha...I know man. it's all good. I never took any disrespect to it all :). I come off as a PITA on this forum...sometimes I wish some of you guys knew who I actually was. I think anyone on this forum who knows me personally knows I don't take things to seriously and I'm a goofball. I am very open minded to/ and respectful of other's ideas, thoughts, and opinions...although I can see how I would not come off that way online.

I believe those UJ's were fine for you..they were perfect on my XJ...for a LONG time...wheeling and all...but this happened and now I've scared to ever use em again. it took a 3k whoopsie for me to shy away from a 20 dollar part....quite understandable i think. anyway, I don't mean to sound like my way is the only way...again..only here to present facts. In the end I think they will be fine esp with highway use. good luck! aldo keep us posted on how they hold Up. i will be curious to hear.

-Rook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.