Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Service Engine Soon Light, Reset?

137K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  Xmethis 
#1 ·
I checked out the other threads, and seeing alot of people having issues with the FSU, needing to be replaced.

Is there a way other then getting the code red, to reset the SES light and make sure it is something more then the gas cap?

I was there at the dealerships two weeks ago, states it was pointing to the gas cap, checked it a few times and filled up again, light is still on?

#2 · (Edited)
Yes there is.

You turn the key to ON but not start and depress the gas pedal a certain number of times within a time frame then count the flashes.

I'll check the exactlies and get back to ya.

Here you are:

How to read the engine codes without a Nissan CONSULT or scan tool. (Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II)

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
  2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
    1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
    2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
  3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MIL starts blinking.
  4. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
  5. ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).
From this page:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/common/nissan_engine_codes_read_2.htm

#4 ·
IN all the wisdom of Big bucks going into building a Auto.. They come up with Press Gas pedal while Toggling the key in & out.. back & fourth.. eh... WTF!!. Why so complicated?.

Why do they just add a Key pad. Or button with up & down arrows to cycle a simple Menu. Or it's the plan to keep money into service bay's Vs. home fixing?

Shesh. All that pressing of the Gas pedal.. hmmm.. Sounds like a toyota Sticking gas pedal soon... :)

Scan tool will be simpler.

Dunno.. just had to wonder... on that one

#11 ·
The latest version of Superschips Cortex software has a DTC reader and code clearing function as a feature. I'm not sure if it will read pre-codes, but if the SES is on it will read the set DTCs.

Jeff

#10 ·
OK ended up at the dealership. Evap sensor (4056?, all points were thinking gas cap). Had to replace the sensor. They also did the recall fuel work as well.

Got it back, light came on again.......had to update the updated sensor? It is fixed now, just a lil bizarre

#18 ·
Evap sensor (4056?, all points were thinking gas cap). Had to replace the sensor.
Are you sure it was a P0456? I have been getting a P0455 that points to the gas cap. Its not though. My issue is my evap valve or something with the canister. I have pulled it, cleaned it, etc, and it always come back. This was a common problem as they now make a $50 filter kit to avoid the valve and canister getting crud in it.

#17 ·
Thanks for this post. My SES light has been on all week. Don't know why. Last time it was the FSU so I got it replaced (before the recall included my VIN). And I thought the dealer was being especially nice to me: I'm sure they knew that Nissan would cover them and that the recall notice was going out shortly. Anyway, it snowed in the Atl. area Sunday nite so I was using 4-Hi a lot and filled up w/ gas at BJ's. Not sure if is a coincidence, since I use 4 wheel drive infrequently and not for long periods of time, that the light came on with the 4 wheeling or if it might have been the discount gas at BJ's. I wanted to keep the tank full during this cold spell and BJ's was handy at the time.

Whatever caused it, this technique cleared it after getting the timing sequence down. I've saved the technique on my iPhone so I can recall it if I need to do this again. Hope it's not another FSU. Anyway, thanks for posting.

#32 ·
It will say it where your trip is... it scrolls thru the words I think.
Looks like this

But it will only give you a certain amount of time to fix the cap before the message goes away and the service engine light comes on as I found when I was on the interstate once and was going to wait till I stopped again to fix the cap.

I just fixed mine over the weekend. It is an easy job and shouldn't take more than 2 hours at most. Alot sooner if it is two guys and they don't goof around.
Was a lot faster on the 1st Gens, they had an access panel under the backseat. A hand full of screws and you were done. Wonder how much warranty labor $ Nissan would have saved if they put the access panel on our trucks too.

#29 ·
I stopped by Autozone and they were able to read the error code from the SES light. It was P0463. They pulled up the error code as:
Fuel level sensor circuit high input, probable cause:
-Open or short circuit condition
-Poor electrical condition
-Faulty fuel level sensor

Some time l last week after I filled up my tank the fuel gauge was pinned to E and the fuel light was blinking (I don't remember if the SES light came on) After a restart it went back to normal. My guess from the probable causes listed above it sounds like the fuel sending unit may be going out.

#30 ·
I had the same cause of SES warning light, due to the fuel level sensor.
I was driving from San Francisco to Charlotte and my wheel bearing broke down 30miles away from Gallup, NM. I was able to tow it to Nissan in Gallup and there i found out from the service guy that the SES was from the fuel level sensor.
He told me that Nissan anounced a recall of Xterras from 2006-2008 due to the faulty fuel level sensor. Take yours to nissan to get it fixed for free.

#31 ·
I just fixed mine over the weekend. It was not a recall per se (not required by the NTSB). Nissan extended the warranty on them to 72 months or 72,000 miles. If your X falls within this category the dealer will replace the sensor. If not you are SOL like I was. It is an easy job and shouldn't take more than 2 hours at most. Alot sooner if it is two guys and they don't goof around. This was just discussed in another thread.

#33 ·
LOL I know. I actually told my buddy who was helping me about the trap door on the 1st Gens. If it was on the 1st gens why not do the same on the 2nds. What is the big deal about leaving it out. I know one member on here his own access panel thru the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.