Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Buzzing Noise When I Push the Gas Pedal

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  josephhauler 
#1 ·
I know this may not make much sense unless you have experienced it yourself but ill try to eplain it best i can. when i am driving down the road and push the gas pedal theres a humming noise coming from my motor, from what i can tell it sounds like its intermitten with pushing the pedal, as i give it gas it makes the noise and as i oull off the gas it stops. If i had to gues i would say it seems like its maybe coming from where the airbox is. The noise is almost like a static frequency noise you would hear on a radio (if that makes any sense) other than when i am going down the road giving it gas i dont hear the noise at all, it does not happen while sitting at idle, and all my guages and everything else are absolutely fine. i have not noticd any other effects at all, other than its just annoying. i tried googling and some people were saying possibly replace the idle control valve... hopefully someone here has seen this and knows whats going on, like i said i havent noticed any performance issues but i would like to fix it befor anything goes wrong. :dontknow: also this noise is most noticeable around 45-65 MPH

#2 ·
Maybe the PCV valve is humming. Saw someone talking about a similar situation on another (non Xterra) forum.

#3 ·
Sounds like your timing chain. Nissan has a TSB out on the subject, but unless you are still under warranty somehow then I doubt that you are covered. I usually noticed the timing chain, when mine was going, at slower speeds, but what you are describing sounds like it.

It's not actually the chain that is wearing out. Unfortunately Nissan cheaped out on the timing chain tensioners and those wear out causing that sound. Being that you are a 2006, I'm assuming you don't have any type of warranty which is unfortunate as this is a fairly big dollar repair unless you feel up to the task of repairing it yourself.

The only thing that doesn't make sense here is that if it's the timing chain, you should hear the noise when giving it gas even at idle if I'm not mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.