Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Ball Joint replacement....Figured out... for now.

9K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  masscomguru 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
so I am in the middle of replacing my ball joints. FWIW.. don't ever do it. Just buy the LCA's and UCA's. This is a PIA!

I was able to get the old out without removing the axle...

however, the MOOG parts, are a little taller and I cannot get it in place with the CV still in the hub.

Questions:

1)When I remove the CV.. will I have to pull it from the front axle as well? If so, how is that done, do they just pull out?

2) I put a slight tear in the cv boot... does anyone know of any over the counter boots that replace the outer boot?

Thanks!
~Eric

#2 ·
1. You do not have to remove the shaft from the diff. You will need a new axle nut though. If you do want to remove the shaft from the diff, then you can just put it out. It has a little ring clip that holds it in.

2. I would give the local parts stores a call and see if they have the CV boot. You might end up having to go to the dealer. I do know there is at least one aftermarket boot that fits, but I am not sure you'll find it at a parts store. Someone on here posted up about them, but I can't remember who...maybe OregonX?

#3 ·
Thanks Muzik,
i have to run out tonight to grab an impact wrench (any suggestions?)
no auto store will be open by the time I get a car so we will be using the same nut and I will probably just get a replacement axle from rock-auto.
so the axle just pulls out? or will I need a slide hammer?

this is a 2006 S auto BTW.

Thanks!

#4 ·
You don't really need an impact wrench to take the axle nut off, just put the breaks back on and have someone step on them. That will hold it from spinning while you take the nut off.

Buying a whole new axle to replace a boot might be going a bit far. Does RockAuto sell the boots? Yes you'll need to take the CV apart to get the old boot off and the new one one, but it's not hard to do, just make sure you have some grease to put on the CV when you replace the boot.

I would replace the axle nut at some point soon. You can do it without removing the wheels. Just pop the center cap out, remove the cotter pin and replace the nut. Make sure the nut is properly torqued (101ft-lbs I believe).

You do not need a slide hammer to remove the axle shafts. If you have a small pry bar, you can use that on the diff side of the shaft to pop it out.

I guess my question, if the ball joint is taller than stock and you can not get the new one in without removing the axle shaft, is it going to be in the way when you go to put the axle shaft back in?

#5 ·
^^ I can't put the brakes on, because i am at the point where the whole pitman arm is off the truck (trying to maneuver it back on) and even putting the caliper back on, with out the Lower ball joint, there is nothing that I can leverage against safely. To answer your question, there will be enough room once it is in place, there is now a grease zerk on the top, however, what is happening is I can't get the stud into the pitman arm because angle is too much by 1/8 of an inch (literally 1/8th of an inch). The OEM ball joint had a rounded top which allowed for this angle, and the MOOG ones have a hard corner edge on top.

#6 ·
I assume when you say pitman are, you are talking about the steering knuckle right?

Can you take the easy route and take an angle grinder to the new ball joint and round it off? If you are careful you should be able to do it without harming the threads.

#8 ·
Thread the nut on first and then tread it down so you wont hit it with a grinder, then run the nut back over it a few times but not all the way off once you get it rounded to a good point. Basically using the nut as a thread chaser or a die. Just make sure you don't force the nut too much at once.

New question: Are you using a ball joint press to get the ball joints in and out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.