Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Synthetic Oil

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ATL XTERRA 
#1 ·
I was looking through my owner's manual and noticed that it recommends "mineral based" oil only. Mineral based oil is conventional/petroleum oil only but does any one use synthetic oil? I used royal purple in my last car (Nissan Sentra SE-R) and want to use it in my X but don't know if it'll cause any engine damage. Also any reason why Nissan does not recommend synthetic oil?

#2 ·
I use Mobil 1 synthetic, and as I'm on warranty, my dealer does the changes.

Mobil has the following warranty statement:
What We Will Do to Correct Problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

Might be a bit of a circular argument

#3 ·
I run Castrol Edge and I've never had any issues. I ran it in my '09 Frontier also.

They also recommend absurdly long oil change intervals on conventional oil in the manual, but I don't pay any attention to any of it. I run synthetic at 5k mile intervals and call it a day.

#6 ·
Good info to know, I noticed on the Pennzoil website they recommend their ULTRA formula for the X. However I'm still partial to royal purple. Was running Valvoline conventional with STP oil treatment but I've read several articles about oil additives that have changed my mind.

#9 ·
I've run mobil1 mostly mobile 1 since the first oil change. After 202k miles of 10k mile oil change intervals, I am happy to report that I am on the original timing chain and she's only down about a half qt at the oil change mark.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.