Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Replace Rear Hatch Struts - PBR

271K views 715 replies 319 participants last post by  cfesting 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ordered Part # 9416K147 from McMaster-Carr
Gas Spring with Threaded Ends 175 Froce 18.18" Extended Leanth, 7.87" Stroke $16.32 each (X2)

Also needed, (for my 08), part # 9416K79
10mm Ball Socket, M8 Therad, Steel for, Gas Spring with Threaded Ends (Need 2)

Only tool I needed was a small Flathead Screwdriver.

Springs $32.64 + tax + shipping= $40.25
M8 Thread-ends $5.92 +.52 +4.50= $10.94

If you order all together save $4.50 in shipping, (I guess)

Thanks Shiny!! Been on for a week now and everything is fine!
I got the 175 lbs ones and like the way they THROW the hatch up in the air!
Gained 4-6" of Headroom. No more bonking the noodle!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to see them up (and down) and running!

You get ten points for "most creative use of camping supplies." ;)

[It's surprising that the '08 OEM support has a different size thread on the body end connector. I was able to reuse all of the OEM connectors from my '05.]

#10 ·
Shiny should get the credit for finding these parts!

My 175 lbs. are going strong but wife or kids can still close it.
Anyone in cold weather should consider these!

BTW, we should bump any old thread that's come up recently to help the nOObs! :D

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ordered part # 9416K147 from McMaster-Carr
Gas Spring with Threaded Ends 175 Froce 18.18" Extended Leanth, 7.87" Stroke $16.32 each (X2)

Also needed (for my 08) part # 9416K79
10mm Ball Socket, M8 Therad, Steel for, Gas Spring with Threaded Ends (Need 2)

Only tool I needed was a small flat head screwdriver.

Springs $32.64 + tax + shipping= $40.25
M8 Thread ends $5.92 +.52 +4.50= $10.94

If you order all together save $4.50 in shipping (I guess)
I'm curious about the ball sockets being the same for the 05's. Any ideas?
Mine are crappin out too.. Good timing on bumping this thread.

Is that the pt# I want for my '06?
Shiny said he didn't need part # 9416K79 for his 05
Check my last pic the new threads were bigger than MY (08) ones.

Maybe prop up hatch, take off one strut, take off both ends and try to rethread the ends on the other side,
In other words try to mount your stock struts upsidedown. I couldn't because of two different thread sizes.

#14 ·
Here's what's known so far, based on feedback from forum members. (There's more info, starting at post #31, here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6419)

Strut info:

Strut force: 150 lbs (good replacement for OEM, which is 145 lbs)
Strut force: 175 lbs (perfect if you have a Gobi rear ladder, and MUCH cheaper than Gobi struts)

Ball-socket info:

2005-2006 X: no sockets needed, reuse your current sockets
2007 X: unknown, same as 2005?
2008 X: need one new pair of M8/10mm sockets, reuse other pair
2009-2010 X: unknown, same as 2008?

And yes, these are worth installing just for the added height!

#15 ·
Did this mod today on my 09. Worked perfectly. Needed (2) M8/10mm ball sockets and the 175lb strut P/N's from this thread. I was amazed how fast the stock struts were lacking after putting the Gobi ladder on.

I'm 6'1" and these 175lb struts give so much more headroom, it'll be nice loading the bikes in now with all that extra space. For those with the Gobi already, instead of stacking boxes to hold the hatch up, I used a ratchet strap attached to the ladder and roof rack to hold it up. Thanks again for the P/N's! :eek:ccasion5:

#16 ·
Being 6'8", the normal height of the raised hatch door never worked for me. I was in a gigging band for 2 years and hauled all of my equipment in the X. I used to have to duck under the hatch while lifting my 85lbs speaker cabinet into the X. This would kill my back. Adding the 2" lift helped, and its not so much of a pain when I am loading luggage and what not. I could still use another couple of inches though. Since I have an '05, you can imagine how bad my struts are getting. This sounds like an awesome mod.

I do have a question though...since this seems to work well for the Gobi ladder, can one assume it would work well for a custom MOLLE mounting system?

(besides the bottle opener)
Did you just put a wall mountable one into your X? Is there a thread with pics anywhere?

#17 ·
For future reference, I went out and measured the new height of the hatch at stock suspension height: 6'8" at the center of the hatch, and taller toward the leading edge.

#19 ·
Nothing appears to be rubbing or even close to rubbing

Some glare, but you can see how much higher the hatch really is!

#21 ·
Nothing touches anything that it shouldn't, you can see the hinge just rotates freely on its bracket so it's not going to bend. The whole strut assembly is slightly longer and the extra weight capacity of the 175lb's give the door full opening potential. Everything closes tight just like usual and isn't abnormally hard to close like you may be thinking. Everything feels stock except it's much taller. No complaints whatsoever!

The only tool you need is a flat-head screwdriver and a way to hold the hatch up, very easy to do and a nice mod.

#22 ·
Sounds awesome. I think I will order these today. Mine have been fading for a while, and the colder it gets, the worse they will be. Only thing I am concerned about is that I will not be able to take advantage of the full opening in my garage. When the garage door is open, the hatch will hit it before it reaches its full swing. I will have to be mindful of that and not let it fly open. I am excited for this tall person friendly mod though.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got these in Yesterday and installed them. It was a lot quicker and easier then I thought it would be. I thought it would be a pain to get the new ones on, but it was super easy. Anyway, I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I always was trying to push the hatch up higher, but now its to a good level for me. Make me feel like the rear of my X is so much more accessible. Here are some pics...

I was worried about clearance with my Garage Door, but it just fits...

There is still a spot I don't fully clear, but I do clear the end of it. I have a 2" Lift currently, if I ever stepped it up to 3" I wouldn't have any clearance issues. I was wearing hiking style shoes that raise me up 1"-2" though. I hit my head on the Door Frames in my House when I wear those shoes.

Excuse the crap pics, they are self portraits with my iPhone.

I like how solid the extra strength of these new Struts add. I really want to add some sort of MOLLE Rack on the Hatch now like the MPAC System. I worry it will drop the hatch down more though.

#27 · (Edited)
Another happy customer of McMasters' struts here.
I ordered 150 pounds, as don't have any ladder.
Ordered on Sunday, were delivered on Monday to my NJ office.
Installation took 10 minutes, direct bolt-on (2006 S model).
Door opens couple inches higher (was not a problem for me at 5'7", but now I don't worry about my 6' tall friends). Nice balance, easy to open, minimal effort to close.
Hope they would serve longer than original struts.

#29 · (Edited)
Noticed mine were fading now that its getting colder this past weekend. Ordered mine today! Hopefully I can get them on before tailgating Sunday at the Steelers/Raiders game!
Thanks to everyone who figured this out/tested with the different model years, made it very easy to figure out what I needed.

(and like chris said, this will be great for the ski trips, at 6', the stock height is just annoying)