Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Best X Year and Model?? New or Used??

16K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  xterra2007 
#1 ·
I have been close to purchasing a used X several times over the past couple months. Have either missed out to another buyer or not been able to come to a deal with the seller. I have also been talking with multiple Nissan dealers about new X's and have found exactly what I would want: 2010 Offroad night armor with manual transmission at invoice less $2k incentive less $1k Toyota owner incentive. I also found what my wife would prefer which is the same 2010 Offroad night armor with auto transmission - same price at invoice less the $3k incentives.

So I guess the first question I am trying to answer is should I go with the new at $26-27k (depending on transmission) or go the used route. As you all know it is not that easy to find a low mileage offroad in good condiiton without having to travel across the country. It would seem you could save $6-9k going the used route. The trade off is no warranty, not knowing the history of the X, traveling to pick it up, 25-50k miles, etc. So what do you guys think - new or used??

I have also recently been considering an S model as opposed to an offroad. It seems from reading the forums that you can do everything in the aftermarket to an S that you would get on an offroad. Granted it would cost more, but the product might be better (ARB locker, Shrockworks skids, etc.). What are your thoughts on this route?

If looking used what year would you look for or avoid? Seems like 07-08 would be a good balance of having taken the depreciation hit, but not having too many miles. Might even have a little factory warranty left.

Thanks as always for everyone's thoughts and help on this. I really want to join the group, but I need an X to do that!

Erik

See less See more
#2 ·
Only manual S models can accept an ARB without having to change the axle. So if you go automatic S the cost to lock it will be more. If you get a used OR avoid 05 and 06 because the locker is weaker (if its a good deal you can change it out for an ARB).

You may want to consider a certified pre-owned with like a 100,000 mile extended warranty.

#3 ·
no need to have an X to join the group here. Its an enthusiasts group, not an owners group. As for the best year, I would say buy what you can afford. There are lots of good deals on barely used 2008 and 2009 models out there. If you can afford new, I would say to get new just for the peace of mind. As for the transmission, I cant tell you what to get there as it all boils down to personal preference. Just buy what you can afford, but dont go past your limit

#5 ·
Personally, I think the 2007 was the prime year for the X.

It had some of the issues fixed that were found in the the 2005-2006 model years, but was before Nissan started to cheap out and not do things like, adding rear cargo hooks, supplying roof rack cross bars as standard, etc.

As for the S vs the Off-Road. To get a rear locker in an S (or X) model, it needs to have a manual tranny (M226 rear axle), not the C200(K) that the SE, S and X Auto tranny models have.

#6 ·
If you're worried about the warranty, and purchasing used through a dealer, you can usually add on an aftermarket warranty pretty easily as a part of the purchase ... just do a bit of homework and make sure you're going with a good company.

Also, be honest with yourself about the amount of work you're willing to pay for / do yourself, when considering the differences of adding equivalent OR equipment into an S model. I'm not saying it's not feasable or worth it, but it's not a cinch by any stretch ... and the ARB locker is only for MT and OR axles (m226) not for non OR AT axles (c200k). The other route some have gone is with a junkyard OR axle to get the Nissan e-locker, but bear in mind that there are several different gear ratios across models and transmission types, so you'll want to do a bit of homework before jumping into an axle swap.

I think, in the end, if you're able to find the vehicle you want on the used market then that can make a lot more sense (and save you a few grand in the process) ... but sometimes the only way to get what you want is to go new; or maybe you just want new because it's new ... and if you're fortunate enough to be in the financial position to do so, then I say spend your money how you want.

Edit: Wow, slow again ... looks like between X-earth, Ryan and Muzik everything I had to say got covered (and then some) before I was able to hit the 'Post' button. Sheesh :rolleyes:

#7 ·
If I were you I would get exactly what you want, however I can tell you MT OR's are going to be hard to find. That is what I wanted, however I settled on a MT S - I am glad I did and didn't pay more for the OR. Eventually I am sure I will get a locker, but besides the locker the OR doesn't have anything that you wouldn't want to upgrade anyway - suspension, armor....

I love my X, but I wouldn't pay 26k for it. I bought my 2008 MT S brand new out the door for 19.5k (that includes the upgraded tow package and taxes). A new axle with a locker is like 1k...

26k is a lot of $$...not that the X isn't sweet but for that much money you could get a used X with not many miles and mod the sh*t out of it and it would be a lot cooler.

Go used, in 6 months you will have either a used X and an extra 10g's or a used X and no extra 10g's....

#9 ·
This forum is amazing!

Thanks to all of you for your perspective on the X buying decision. There certainly are advantages/disadvantages of both buying new or used. I have to say though that the group is making me lean pretty hard toward a used X Offroad probably '07-'08 hopefully low mileage and in good shape. I would take auto or manual in just about any color. It's hard to argue with buying used and putting some $$ in the bank (or using it for mods!!).

Thanks again. Erik

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.