Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

auto tranny and fluid change requirement- legal???

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  GPzGuy 
#1 ·
Hi! SO I have been thinking about doing a drain/fill in my auto tranny on my 07 xterra with almost 60k on it. Been looking through posts on here etc and see people suggesting other fluids to use etc. I looked at my manual and here is what it says:

Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the
NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

Are they saying that the atf NEVER needs changed for the average person but if you do change it you must use the automatic j fluid or risk tranny failure? I mean I know that it is illegal for manufacturers to require you to use THEIR fluid UNLESS they give it to you for free. With that verbiage, I think I have the right to go into the dealership and tell them I need to do a tranny service and they give me the fluid for free:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name….”(15 U.S.C. 2302(c)."

So, to me, if I should first go demand 11 quarts of matic J since my manual states J only and nothing about S, and if they refuse- which they will- get it in writing that they do both from the dealer and nissan corporate. It seems anal I know but the owners manual makes it sound like ONLY J will work and other stuff will screw your tranny. If i switch to amsoil or whatever and 40k down the road at 99k miles the tranny blows they are going to refuse a claim and blame the fluid and point right to the above statement from their manual. Even the S stuff scares me because they could do the same thing. They are idiots around here so that's why the paranoia.

whatcha all think? Shall we all send letters to nissan corporate for our free matic J for life since our trucks REQUIRE that and they are in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by requiring only that fluid??

See less See more
#2 ·
Nissan's specification is called "nissan matic j" theres other companys that MAKE matic j, but the "general atf" like amsoil sells, is what that statement is for. while yes, amsoil in my opinion makes the best lubicants for your car period, its not to the exact specs of nissan matic j. are you going to try and do the same for the engine oil?

#3 ·
as far as engine oil, they "recommend" 5w-30 and there is no mention of brand. The tranny fluid is specifically listed as Nissan Matic J ONLY and they say it WILL cause damage that WILL NOT be covered by the warranty. That verbiage right there is saying that we are forced to use THEIR fluid otherwise ANY damage that occurs will not be covered by their warranty. That statement is violating the warranty act in that they don't mention anywhere that they will proviode the lubricant required for free. Look up the warranty act, read it, then read the manual. To me, it is a pretty blatant violation unless there is some sort of loophole their whiz-bang lawyers found or they figure not too many people will even care. I do because cars are expensive and I know better like all of you guys and gals..

#4 · (Edited)
right out of the 2007 xterra service manual

*2: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic
transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

#5 ·
the specifically states genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF, not anything equivalent.
SO they need to provide me with J or S for free and if S provide a letter stating that they no longer make J and that S will suffice and any damage linked to using S is covered.

I am probably making way too much out of this but these dealers will use this stuff against us if they can make money. you know that.

#7 ·
silver flash- i did a drain and fill (aprox 4 quarts) at 76k and around 100,000 i checked my tranny fluid color and it was cooking oil color. a friend was in texas at that time and went to nissan dealer to pick up my J-matic.... came back with nissan D-matic. dealers down here dont carry anything but a nissan mex brand labeled V K. i had no choice but to use pennzoil atf wich listed as matic J compatible. i am concerned about using it but 4,000 miles later things seem to be ok with my tranny.

i would suggest doing the pump and re-fill method to get all your tranny fluid out. I dont suggest to anyone to do a flush on their tranny fluid with the machine since i have seen some posts about having problems after a machine flush.

it takes 2 people, drain the fluid through drain plug and re-fill amount that came out. next disconect the small hose entering the bottom of the radiator in front of engine oil filter area. cap radiator opening where hose came off.... using a 5 foot plastic hose attached with fitting to hose and start engine for less then 10 seconds..... the idea is simply to do about 1 quart at a time..... once you fill a quart jug, your helper will tell you to stop engine.... then insert 1 quart of new tranny fluid through dip stick hole.........since my fluid was cooking oil color, we continued to start and pump untill new red fluid started to come out of the clear hose. this procedure is not perfect and i had a clear fish tank size hose 4 feet long to insert in tranny dip stick hole to suck out excess tranny fluid..... took me about 5 to 8 times to get correct level at operating temp. if i remember correct, it took at least 12 quarts.

so doing a drain (aprox 4 quarts) your new fluid will mix with old fluid and dilute very quickly/ within 30k since it happened to me.

#8 ·
Actually, Matic S is in the 09 Xterra, and possibly the 08, as well.

Silverflash, I say go for it. If you can get the fluid for free that would be awesome!!!

Personally, I have done drain and fills with Amsoil fully sysnthetic ATF (which meets Matic J specs) at 20K, 40K, and 60K miles. So far everything is working well. I have a 100K mile extended warranty, so I hope everything goes well for the next 35K miles.

#9 ·
For what it's worth, from the 2009 X service manual:

If Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF is not available, Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF may also be used. Using automatic transmission fluid other than NISSAN Matic S ATF or Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

#10 ·
Are they saying that the atf NEVER needs changed for the average person but if you do change it you must use the automatic j fluid or risk tranny failure? I mean I know that it is illegal for manufacturers to require you to use THEIR fluid UNLESS they give it to you for free. With that verbiage, I think I have the right to go into the dealership and tell them I need to do a tranny service and they give me the fluid for free:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name….”(15 U.S.C. 2302(c)."

So, to me, if I should first go demand 11 quarts of matic J since my manual states J only and nothing about S, and if they refuse- which they will- get it in writing that they do both from the dealer and nissan corporate. It seems anal I know but the owners manual makes it sound like ONLY J will work and other stuff will screw your tranny. If i switch to amsoil or whatever and 40k down the road at 99k miles the tranny blows they are going to refuse a claim and blame the fluid and point right to the above statement from their manual. Even the S stuff scares me because they could do the same thing. They are idiots around here so that's why the paranoia.

whatcha all think? Shall we all send letters to nissan corporate for our free matic J for life since our trucks REQUIRE that and they are in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by requiring only that fluid??
I don't know where you got the idea that they had to provide it for free. If they specialized a very specific lubricant / fluid for a design reason, it has nothing to do with WHERE you get the fluid from, only that the fluid used has to meet the specification.

For example, I have an Audi A6 with a ZF Tiptronic transmission that requires some VERY expensive fluid ($18-25 per quart, depending on who made it). Audi, like Nissan, is not going to take the time to test and certify other brand name manufaturer's product for use in their vehicles. They establish the standard for use, and it is up to the oil manufacturers to generate a product that meets (or exceeds) it.

#11 ·
I got the idea because the verbiage in all the nissan xterra docs state you must use GENUINE NISSAN MATIC J. It says nothing about "or equivalent". That means you MUST buy THEIR fluid which is illegal if not provided free of charge per the magnuss warranty act I mentioned. They are basically saying that you can't use anything in there besides their own fluid which is a no-no if they don't provide the fluid free of charge. They are in violation of the warranty act if they don't provide the fluid for free yet still require its use to maintain warranty coverage, as far as how I read the act and their verbiage.

#12 · (Edited)
Just remember that the Nissan document was written by somebody for who english wasn't their first language.

For example:
Taken from a 1962 Honda Motor Cycle Owner's Manual.
Translated by Honda for the American Motorcycle Rider

1. At the rise of the hand by Policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

2. When a passenger of the foot, hooves in sight, tootel the horn trumpet melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootel him with vigor and express by word of mouth, warning Hi, Hi.

3. Beware of the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him. Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by.

4. Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

#13 ·
too funny!!!

it's like:

"all your base are belong to us"

#14 · (Edited)
"We are delivery!" from my local takeout place

back on topic, it is worth a shot, but they probably won't even consider it. Most of the dealers have no idea whats even in the magnuson-moss warranty act. They wont cover a rear diff because there is mud on the truck or they won't cover side air bags because there is a dent in a skid plate. Those seem pretty obvious, but this you might have to dig for a little bit.

#15 ·
i really expect alot of negative feedback from the dealer BUT I think getting something in writing having them deny the free fluid is possible if not then from nissan itself. they may say no service is required BUT then they would be contradicting their own scheduled 1/premium in the service guides.

i really can't stand this ambiguity. It's like they are getting away with forcing US (customers who like to maintain their vehicle properly) to use their $16.00/quart fluid or risk assured transmission failure which is not covered. Part of me is like, well, I will just not swap it out and not worry till 100k or so. But that's less than 2 years from now for me and i really need this truck to last a few more years at least. So, it is wise to swap the fluid out with the proper stuff, their stuff, but somehow I really think there is an "or equivalent" out there that they are not telling about because they are greedy. That is what I am fighting for here. For them to say, use amsol, or castrol X or whatever and we will not void the warranty and it's good for tranny.

#16 ·
If you're paying $16 per quart, you're getting ripped off! I found it for $8.62 from Courtesy Parts Courtesy Parts Matic J fluid

At that price, it is more than comparable in price to other types of ATF, and really not unreasonable as a normal service item. Like I said, try buying 12 quarts of fluid for an Audi tiptronic transmission some time.

I have read where Valvoline has certified their longlife ATF to be compatable with the Matic J and suggested that they exceeded the requirements for it. I have also read accounts that people who have tried other fluids than the Matic J in the Nissan 5-speed auto haven't been happy.

Also, you haven't considered that they (Nissan) have an 'out' in the MM Act. If the FTC grants them a waiver on the prohibition of this implied tied-in sale. The mrohibition may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

So they go to the FTC and state that 1) the product will only function properly with Matic J ATF and 2) pre-mature transmission failures due to the use of improper lubricant is not in the public interest, and 3) while they have published their lubrication requirements for Matic J to the major oil manufacturers, non of them make it in a readily available capacity for public consumption.

Buy hey, don't get me wrong here. I'm very interested in what kind of a response you'd get from Nissan regarding this, and I'm not trying to discourage you from writing them at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.