It is a good idea to register your nickname so that people can not act as you. This keeps you and the other users safe from fraud.
To register your name.
1. Connect to chat with the name you want to register (your forum name).
2. Type "/msg nickserv REGISTER " (without the "'s and <>'s)
3. You will get a response that your nickname is now registered.
After your nickname is registered you will need to identify yourself each time you connect. If you are using the web client, you have to do this manually. If you use one of the thick clients (such as mIRC) then you can set it up to do it automatically (see the mIRC help for more information).
To identify yourself.
1. Connect to chat as your nickname.
2. Type "/msg nickserv IDENTIFY " (without the "'s and <>'s)
3. You are now identified.
If for some reason your nickname is in use by another user or is a ghost session is still open (an old session of yours that for what ever is still running and using your nickname), you can recover the nickname.
To recover your nickname.
1. Connect to chat using some other nickname.
2. Type "/msg nickserv " (without the "'s and <>'s)
3. This will either kill the hung (ghost) session or it will force the user who was using your nickname to change their name.
4. Type "/nick " to change to your nickname. (without the "'s and <>'s)
5. Identify yourself (see steps above).
If you need more help, please type "/msg nickserv HELP"