Whistling Noise - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Noobie
2008 Xterra S

Whistling Noise

Hey all - I have a 2008 S with no overhead lights or CB antenna (as another thread mentioned as potential cause) but I have the whistling noise - it sounds like it coming from right side - it sounds like wind is getting in either the windshield or maybe the passenger window - just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Noobie

ah! I have this too. I had the timing chain issue and it almost sounds like the noise that was making, but I think it is only because I am paranoid that I am associating it with that. I get the noise between 60 MPH and 70 MPH. Above 70 it seems to go away...

Doesn't seem to be anything with the RPM's, which makes me feel "ok" enough that it isn't the timing issue again.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Supporting Member
2006 Night Armor ❌terra S

When I was buying my X, I drove 4 different ones that morning. It was a pretty windy day and the first one right away had wind noise coming in around the doors. So did another one, and two of them were quiet.
I bought one of those that didn't have the noise. Seems like their door seals and upper window frame ridgidity have some issues, as in a very strong side wind, you will still get some noise from the downwind door.

> maXTERRA's Build Thread

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within."
Douglas MacArthur
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM
2010 Xterra Off-Road

I've got it between 35 and 40...nowhere else though. I'll see if the dealer can find it on my next service appointment, its kinda driving me crazy!

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 AM
RJ
Noobie

I have had a wind noise / tire noise between 45 & 50 since day one. I have tried coasting with the tranny in nuetral and at idle and it still decreases slowly even after a dead stop. I have no idea except that maybe the fan clutch or the grill cut outs for a factory brush guard allow wind to pass through brush guard support cut outs in the grill. It's very annoying with no radio on. I know what tire hum sounds like but this would keep me from ever buying another Xterra
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran
2010 "Abominable" Xterra Off Road

It could be the drain holes in the air dam on the roof. If there is stuff blocking part of the hole it will whistle. I notice this a lot during the winter with ice blocking part of the holes.

'10 Xterra Off Road "Abominable" and '09 Sienna XLE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
2006 xterra, Samurai S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06XterraS View Post
ah! I have this too. I had the timing chain issue and it almost sounds like the noise that was making, but I think it is only because I am paranoid that I am associating it with that. I get the noise between 60 MPH and 70 MPH. Above 70 it seems to go away...

Doesn't seem to be anything with the RPM's, which makes me feel "ok" enough that it isn't the timing issue again.
I get this exact same thing. wondering if anyone else gets this. weirdest part is if i coast from anywhere above 70 to below 60 there is no whistle. but driving at constant speed in that range there is the slightest whistle/whine which seems to be coming from the rear somewhere. Its like the whine/whistle only happens when the gas pedal is being used.

it is so slight that a gf of the time couldnt hear it at all. but then again she was a girl.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Have you had your windshields replaced? I get mine done almost yearly, but one time, they used a different type of surround on the glass, it whistled very loudly. I had the installer replace the windshield with a different type of surround and it went away.

2006 Xterra S
Avalanche
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Supporting Member
2006 Night Armor ❌terra S

When I bought mine, drove 5 different xterra's at hwy speed, and 4 of the 5 had substantial door seal wind noise.

The one I have was by far the quietest of them all. Seems to be a bit of a problem?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode