Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Not an Xterra Owner yet, But Strongly Considering...

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Gentry Monarch 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there, Xterra enthusiasts! New forum member here checking in from Southwest Colorado, and looking for some (obviously slightly biased :wink: ) thoughts/opinions.

Here's the story: for the past five years, I've owned an 04 GMC Yukon AWD 5.3 with 277,000 miles on it currently - and plenty of associated mechanical and body work needed on it. It has seen the road in at least ten states, been driven about 12,000 miles a year under my ownership, had a half-dozen minor accidents (only one of which was claimed on insurance and repaired), and has a noisy motor that currently needs a new intake manifold at the very least, if not a complete teardown/rebuild. Honestly, at this point I'd take the first dealer trade over $500 or the first cash offer on it over $1,000 that came along and wash my hands of it.

I'm a late bloomer who'll be graduating from college for the first time at 27 years old in December, and I'm looking to get out of my truck, to get into something economically priced and with more years/miles left on it while I pay my student loans off with a "real job". My first vehicle was an 01 Tahoe that I loved, and my immediate family has owned purely GM SUVs for about 20 years now - starting with the old body style Blazers and Tahoes, the two trucks that were handed down to me, now the new generation Tahoes and an Equinox - but I'm open to making the jump to the Nissan/Infiniti/Datsun family if the price is right and the quality is there.

To that end, about a three hours' drive from me is a 2006 Xterra S (in what I believe is called "Night Armor" color) at a small dealership with just shy of 100,000 miles on it, priced at $5,000. Probably the only 2nd-generation Xterra with less than 200,000 miles on it that's in my price range and within a reasonable distance. It's been there at that price for about three months because of a noticeable, hardcover-novel size dent in the passenger side rear fender flare area, but I am still very seriously considering the vehicle.

If I limp down the interstate to look at it, is there anything I should try to ask this skeezy little place about the vehicle's history? Anything under the hood or underneath the vehicle (if there's clearance) that I should look for? I haven't even gotten the opportunity to test drive one here locally yet - any thoughts on how it should feel behind the wheel? Mostly, I want to try my best to make sure I'm not inheriting someone else's headache, especially if I'm marrying myself to a payment for the next 72-96 months. I have a feeling that the 2nd generation Xterra might be right for me, especially if it easily accepts a touch-screen radio and backup camera, but I just want to hear about some other folks' experiences with the vehicle before I get further into the buying process.

Thanks so much in advance for suffering through the long read and for any words of wisdom!

See less See more
#2 ·
You'll get a lot of great feedback on here . . . very knowledgeable and helpful guys. I'm probably the least-knowledgeable source, so I don't have much to pass along. But one huge thing to watch out for on the older X models is the SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death). You can read up on it here.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...-smod-hit-list-year-mileage-user-outcome.html

Basically a defective radiator that causes tranny fluid and coolant to mix and kills your trans. Lots of 2005 - 2007's have had it and my 2008 did (fortunately it was caught very early and covered by warranty). But I would highly recommend having the fluids checked for the symptoms and driving it to see if it shows the signs. Also, I believe the model #'s for the bad radiators are posted in that thread so you can tell if that X has one of those installed.

If it checks out SMOD free and has the older/bad radiator--you'd want to swap it out ASAP if you buy it.

#6 ·
You'll get a lot of great feedback on here . . . very knowledgeable and helpful guys. I'm probably the least-knowledgeable source, so I don't have much to pass along. But one huge thing to watch out for on the older X models is the SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death). You can read up on it here....
Thank you for the welcome Ramsker! I have family on my mom's side up in Longmont that used to go to the training camp for the Broncos way back when they were in Fort Collins.

I've read on here and a couple of other forums about that radiator/transmission contamination issue - sounds like something I'll definitely have to look at if/when I buy the vehicle. Big hat tip for the heads up and the thread link.

Trust me, I'm seriously pondering it more than I ever thought I would 10 years ago. Your tastes and your attitudes towards finance/practicality change drastically when the real world comes calling! I've even had a couple of family members and close friends look at me cockeyed, like, "You're thinking about something other than a GM?"

Just for grins, I'll upload some pics of this X from the dealership website and let everyone give their opinion. I'll start with the ones showcasing the dent:

What do you think, folks? Should I give this Xterra a new home?

#4 ·
Listen for timing whine. As long as there's no SMOD or other big issue that seems like a pretty good price for that many miles. You could still try to bargain it lower saying you'll have to change radiator, timing chains, etc.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, but that's the economic reality of the situation I'm in. Letting my ex-fiancee put a bunch of her medical bills in our name jointly, a handful of years back while we were still together and things were sunshine and daisies, has pretty much run my credit into the ground (I had to make some tough financial decisions to stay afloat on my own after she left, as well). Add to that, the fact that I don't have much worth on a trade, or a ton of cash at the moment for a down payment until my last student loans hit in the fall, and Bob's your uncle there. Going longer-term is the only way for me to keep my payments anything close to reasonable - have to keep the other bills paid, too, unless I want to live in this thing. Heck, who knows how long it will last at that price now that I've spilled the beans about it here.

Smod Timing chain noise, ac use or lack thereof

I always look at the inside of the oil fill cap for evidence of water or baked burnt oil
Definitely will take a listen and look for these potential issues, Mark. Not sure what you mean by the AC use? Sorry about that!

#8 ·
Smod Timing chain noise, ac use or lack thereof

I always look at the inside of the oil fill cap for evidence of water or baked burnt oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I agree with TFin. This is a bad decision. Please do not finance a 11 year old car for any term - especially from a sleazy used car dealer. I would suggest keeping your current car running for a few more months and try to save a few dollars in the process. Buy a car that you can pay cash for and you will be the one in control.

#19 ·
I'll just give the grown up advice: get a 3-5 year old Honda/Toyota Civic/Camry/Corolla. Finance that and not worry until you have a financial stabilization. Trading one problem for another, no matter how cool is just asking for the biggest pain in the ass ever. I have a good job, and I dread fixing things. I don't have the mental bandwidth to stop in the shop. I just want to jump in the car and not worry about it ever failing to start. No towing, bad batteries, terrible gas mileage.

At least with a slightly used car, hopefully no-one has abused too much. A vehicle that's 9-11 years old will be a better 2nd car that you can stuff in the garage and and enjoy as finances allow.

#20 ·
...get a 3-5 year old Civic/Camry/Corolla. Finance that and not worry until you have a financial stabilization. Trading one problem for another, no matter how cool is just asking for the biggest pain in the ass ever.
At 6'1"/6'2" I can't say I've ever driven a Civic or Camry that I liked :laugh: I'll admit I've spoiled myself a little bit by driving Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons for the past ten years since I've started driving, and I do like having something with 4WD/AWD for the Colorado winters.

I have a good job, and I dread fixing things... I just want to jump in the car and not worry about it ever failing to start....
You and me, both! I'm just hoping this X or another one that comes along can be "that car" for me.

At least with a slightly used car, hopefully no-one has abused too much. A vehicle that's 9-11 years old will be a better 2nd car that you can stuff in the garage and and enjoy as finances allow.
Unfortunately, it seems like nowadays with used vehicles it's such a dice roll in terms of how beat-up they are. I just had to quit my job last week due to medical difficulties, as well, so at this point it looks like I'll be waiting at least a couple of months to buy a vehicle. Hopefully this dinged up Xterra is still there when the time comes.

#21 ·
Given my own experiences, experiences of extended family and friends, and your own description of the source of the money troubles, the correct answer is:

Go become a Canadian.

Seriously. Not telling you in the sense of "go away and quit whining", but in the serious sense of "yes, I have seen many medical situations that, in the U.S., always lead to the same dead end - bankruptcy". (And in some cases literally dead too.) Having friends and family in Canada, Germany, UK, Australia, Brazil... none of them have any of these medical/financial troubles. Other troubles, sure, but nobody goes broke just because they get sick.

Our system is very broken. With the stated causes of your situation it really doesn't matter what you choose. The result is pretty much always bankruptcy. The only way it can be worse is with non-dischargable student loan debt, which it sounds like you are about to take on more of soon. I wish you the best of luck.

And your login name (being pretty much the exact opposite of your situation) had me on the fence a long time trying to decide if this thread was just a troll.

#22 ·
Given my own experiences, experiences of extended family and friends, and your own description of the source of the money troubles, the correct answer is:

Go become a Canadian.

Our system is very broken. With the stated causes of your situation it really doesn't matter what you choose...
I'd be lying if I said it's something I hadn't thought about, especially seeing as how I'm originally from Minnesooota which is basically South Canada. I've always told myself that IF (that's a big if) I were ever to expatriate, I'd go to a country where English is at least one of the primary languages.

You're very right that we need to do something to address the massive costs of our healthcare system to patients - even Obamacare still made things hard for so many people despite being a lifesaver to me - but I don't see it happening under President Trump, the consummate bottom-line businessman. At the end of the day we all need affordable, reliable access to healthcare and a dearth of quality medical professionals to provide that care; it's definitely something that's easier said than done, though.

The only way it can be worse is with non-dischargable student loan debt, which it sounds like you are about to take on more of soon. I wish you the best of luck.
Thankfully the chronic medical issue I've been starting to deal with these past few years (peak symptom onset is mid-20's) does qualify as a "rheumatic type disability" under SSDI, so if I take disability payments for at least three years, I am considered "totally and permanently disabled" for the purposes of the Department of Education and my student loans are discharged in full. With around $40,000 in loans, I'll definitely have a tax "bill" as opposed to a refund that year, but it won't be completely nightmarish (I guess those accounting courses came in handy after all). This Xterra was sort of going to be a combination of my last youthful hurrah/"treat yo' self" moment while also getting myself into a fun, unique, reliable vehicle with more life left in it, before resigning myself to living multiple years in subsidized housing on a fixed income. :frown: Hopefully I'd improve physically if I took a few years off after graduating to focus on my health, or at the very least be able to find a career path that were more suitable for me.

And your login name (being pretty much the exact opposite of your situation) had me on the fence a long time trying to decide if this thread was just a troll.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My bad, I was just having trouble thinking of a handle that day and just punched my name into an online anagram generator! I won't lie, I grew up more "comfortably" than many people, thanks in no small part to the hard work of my dad - which, as an aside, Happy Father's Day to all the dads, stepdads, and father figures of the forum. Also, I know there's the notion that a family should strive to improve itself over generations...I'm definitely a bit bummed that I'm having to adjust my expectations of doing that because of my body failing me.

But, such is life, and I know the best thing I can do is to live well and enjoy the good years I have left. I've never really off-roaded before, but Moab is about three hours northwest of me and I think buying this thing, dressing it up with some nice tires and Shrockworks hardware, and taking it up there for a crawl sounds like it'd be a great time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.