Trying to Buy my First Xterra - What Model to Buy!! - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 22
Trying to Buy my First Xterra - What Model to Buy!!

Hello Everyone. So I have done a lot of research on the XTerra, still soooo much more to do, but I think i am finally ready to actually buy one.

Here is the deal. I live in Colorado and am tired of trying to force my wifes 2011 Ford Explorer into the mountains, i know its not an off road vehicle but its closer than my Acura TSX. So I want to get a 3rd vehicle that will be my weekend and occasional snow work day vehicle. I am not an "off roader" per se. I just need something that will get me to some of those High Clearance required Trail Heads that ellude me at the moment. I love to hike and fly fish so need a vehicle that will get me farther and away from the people parked at the TH loaded with Camrys and Accords if you know what I mean.

So I really love the XTerra and have found it almost impossible to find one with around 100K miles and under the $10K-$12K (final) price range. I have found a few but they go QUICK. I am widening my search based on what I read in here and am now including the base Model X. I was just looking at the S, SE or OR.

So I guess my question is, and I am sure I know the answer already, is the base X worth the price and if I find what I think is a good deal should I jump on it and just upgrade it? My goal is to add some minor upgrades to the tires, wheels, skid plates, mud flaps, tow hitch, cross bars, stereo, to start with. I will have to look and see what else I can add on a budget that would enhance the vehicle. Any suggestions?

I have never bought a used vehicle with over 100K miles on it and so far everything I see is in the 110-150K mile range and running in around the $10K-13K range. Seems a bit much but maybe not. For instance there is a 2008 X Model with 138K Miles and the asking price is 10,489 (assuming $489 are fees). That is $2000 over KBB Suggested Price.

I am mostly aware of what to watch out for like the SMOD, Timing Chain and Tensioner, Fuel Sending unit. I am trying to factor those in as it seems all the vehicles I have found, none of those issues have been fixed or at least have records of it, so I am looking at a new radiator and associated parts, Timing Chain, and maybe Fuel Sending unit if not covered by a recall. Is there anything I am missing? Any tips or suggestions that I may be missing. I am ready to pull the trigger but have some apprehensions but then again also want to act fast because summer is approaching.

Thank you for any help you can provide and really sorry for the lengthy post.

Last edited by Steven Hargrove; 05-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Steven Hargrove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT
 
zach_attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 960
Garage
How far are you willing to drive?

CO has extremely high prices for the Xterra due to 4wd and not being as stinkin wide as a truck, among other reasons.

I would expand your search and be ready to drive FAR if you want to get better deals. I just found a 2010 with 128k listed for $10k, and a 2008 with 75k listed for $10k here in the Pittsburgh area.

I waited and got the Off-Road trim because I knew I would be throwing money at this vehicle, and the trim doesn't really increase the asking price.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 292
zach_attack is offline  
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X
 
AlbatrossCafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 1,468
Mechanically, the X, S, and SE trims are basically identical. You get the same engine, transmission, gearing, 4wd, etc. Where it changes is the Off-road or PRO-4x trim. That gives you a little lower gearing and locker in the rear axle.

Since you are not an "off roader" and don't foresee getting into it, you could save some money and I think the X trim would be fine, especially if you will swap out some things like the stereo. However, like above said I don't think X, S, and SE trims have a huge price difference. BUT, if you think you might want to get more serious about off roading, the PRO-4x or OR trims are a great investment. You will pay more up front but save later on locking the rear diff, and you will have better gear ratio for moving up to 33" tires.

It is smart to watch out for SMOD. Koyorad makes a radiator for fairly cheap $124 that will work to fix that. I think that if you get 2009 or older and are at all unsure that replacement hasn't happened, you should swap it out right away.

I suggest instead of getting a trailer hitch that you get a rear bumper replacement. The trailer hitch can hang down low and bottom out on stuff. Also, the X lacks recovery points in the back. You can get a rear bumper that will give you some tow points and an integrated hitch instead. Like this: http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_277.jpg
GDPearson likes this.

.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 05-18-2017 at 04:39 PM.
AlbatrossCafe is offline  
 
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
2011 Night Armor Xterra PRO-4X
 
Allshookup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 141
Garage
Used 2010 Nissan Xterra Off-Road $14,066 88,224 mi.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9234/overview/

Littleton, CO

Get outdoors and have some fun!

Build Page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allshookup is offline  
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X
 
IssacHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Grundy, VA
Posts: 625
Garage
You could shoot for a 2010+ where the bugs have been worked out or go with Able's suggestions on the rad swap. If you really don't mind traveling you can get an Xterra at a good price. I live in VA but traveled to Ohio to get mine. A 2013 Pro4x model with 81k miles at a little over 15k 1-owner.

The Offroad/P4x Models have the m226 rear diff with a electronic locker. It's a little more upfront but can save you money later if you decide to swap in the axle (it's a little stronger than the c200 as well)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.)
Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
IssacHunter is online now  
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
How far are you willing to drive?

CO has extremely high prices for the Xterra due to 4wd and not being as stinkin wide as a truck, among other reasons.

I would expand your search and be ready to drive FAR if you want to get better deals. I just found a 2010 with 128k listed for $10k, and a 2008 with 75k listed for $10k here in the Pittsburgh area.

I waited and got the Off-Road trim because I knew I would be throwing money at this vehicle, and the trim doesn't really increase the asking price.
I cant drive to far. I have tons of days off scheduled for other trips and I have a 1 year old at home so driving accross country to look at a car probably wont work for me. As much I would like to go out and find the best deal possible i will need to stay somewhat local. I have looked in New Mexico but there isnt anything there. I will drive prety much anywhere in the Pueblo, COS and Denver and north areas.
Steven Hargrove is offline  
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
Mechanically, the X, S, and SE trims are basically identical. You get the same engine, transmission, gearing, 4wd, etc. Where it changes is the Off-road or PRO-4x trim. That gives you a little lower gearing and locker in the rear axle.

Since you are not an "off roader" and don't foresee getting into it, you could save some money and I think the X trim would be fine, especially if you will swap out some things like the stereo. However, like above said I don't think X, S, and SE trims have a huge price difference. BUT, if you think you might want to get more serious about off roading, the PRO-4x or OR trims are a great investment. You will pay more up front but save later on locking the rear diff, and you will have better gear ratio for moving up to 33" tires.

It is smart to watch out for SMOD. Koyorad makes a radiator for fairly cheap $124 that will work to fix that. I think that if you get 2009 or older and are at all unsure that replacement hasn't happened, you should swap it out right away.

I suggest instead of getting a trailer hitch that you get a rear bumper replacement. The trailer hitch can hang down low and bottom out on stuff. Also, the X lacks recovery points in the back. You can get a rear bumper that will give you some tow points and an integrated hitch instead.
Thanks that is great info to know. I dont plan on being an off roader realy. I have a ton of hobbies and that would just not be feasible. Of course I am sure once i start getting turned back on roads where i am trying to get to a trail, that may change. But i dont plan on doing on rock hopping type stuff. I can swap out a radiator and do medium difficulty mechanics so any mods will stay in areas that I am comfortable with. All my hobbies are expensive so going overboard on an XTerra wont happen. If i can find a great deal on something other than a X model than i will shoot for that. I am noticing not much of a price difference between the X and S/SE models. Only a very few OR models out there. I was too slow on a 2007 Manual Trans OR with 122K miles on it. asking $10, it was gone QUICK.
Thanks for the bumper suggestion. I like it and will keep that in mind especially since many of the bumpers i see have dents, scratches and rust on them. This would be a nice replacement.
Steven Hargrove is offline  
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IssacHunter View Post
You could shoot for a 2010+ where the bugs have been worked out or go with Able's suggestions on the rad swap. If you really don't mind traveling you can get an Xterra at a good price. I live in VA but traveled to Ohio to get mine. A 2013 Pro4x model with 81k miles at a little over 15k 1-owner.

The Offroad/P4x Models have the m226 rear diff with a electronic locker. It's a little more upfront but can save you money later if you decide to swap in the axle (it's a little stronger than the c200 as well)
I would love to travel to find a good deal but would be tough for me to do. That is one heck of a deal you got on that Pro4X. Wow! I have been trying to stay away from the 2005-2006 models. Been looking at mostly 2007-2010s. ANything above that is way out of my price range. I would like the Locker as it may be useful on some roads i could end up on but finding a vehicle in my price range has been tough. I did find a couple 2nd Gens and a few first gens with it.
Steven Hargrove is offline  
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
Used 2010 Nissan Xterra Off-Road $14,066 88,224 mi.



Littleton, CO
Wow, that is a nice deal. I didnt see that becuase i was looking on Autotrader and this one is not listed there. There is a 2010 OR here in the Springs for $15,694 and 96K miles. So this one you sent is a much better deal. Only problem is that its right above my breaking point. I may have to swing it and go look. Anything above 12500 and i need to trade in my car basically. Which i am ok with for the right deal. I would go today if it wasnt for the crazy winds, hail, snow going on outside right now.
Steven Hargrove is offline  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT
 
zach_attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 960
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Hargrove View Post
I was too slow on a 2007 Manual Trans OR with 122K miles on it. asking $10, it was gone QUICK.
Mine was listed for months at 11k and they sold it to me for 10k since no one was even looking at it for that much.

2007 OR MT with 80k when I bought it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 292
zach_attack is offline  
Reply

  Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome