So much Confusion ..... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Noobie
2011 Xterra Pro 4X

Garage
So much Confusion .....

I appreciate all the posts and all the advice I am getting from all of you who have actually done the mods I want to do. I am willing to do much of the work myself, have good tools, air compressor, impact wrench, and all that I need, just need to get a good set of jack stands and a floor jack, which is no problem. What I am having issues with is the following:

1. Many local tire installers will not install 285/75/16's on my stock rims because they are only 7 inches wide, and that is below the tires minimum recommendation. I found one that will, but wants me to sign disclosures of no liability, etc. and wants to charge me $200 to install tires I bring in myself (I can order online much cheaper than I can purchase locally). I am being told by another shop that he can mount them on the rims for me - but, I have to buy them from him, at a higher cost than I can order online, but he will not support anything after I leave the shop because the tire will wear out faster since the rim is below the recommended minimum size. Claims I will only get about 35K-40K out of a sset of Grabber X3s or Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 16x7 inch rims.

2. Local places want anywhere from $250 per set up to $500 per set to powder coat rims, which is fine, but I have to bring them a BARE rim and I do not have spares to mount and that is my only vehicle, which poses a problem, because there is a 2 week turn around time and they will not "add me to the list" until they actually have the rims in hand. Installers can not store my car for 2 weeks with no wheels, and want $100 to remove tires anyway, which now brings the cost of powder coating close to buying new rims.

3. I am not fond of the rims available for our bolt pattern in a 16 inch, but I have found some 17" that are nice, which is ok, as I can step up to a 285/70/17 and still have the same sidewall height I have now (stock 265/75/16) and still have a 33" tire due to the one inch larger rim. So, I am thinking of getting the Rockstar 3's (which are 17x8, and mounters here will mount the 285s on that rim).

4. Lift kits - Jesus Christ - talk about stupidity!! I cant really afford to do the Radflo coilovers right now on the front, so that leaves me with strut spacers. Ok, why do some companies INSIST on telling me that the Pro4x already has a lift - IT DOES NOT, it has a larger tire, and Billstein shocks as stock, BUT NO LIFT, NO SPACER, and when I measure hub center to fender on my Pro4x and other non pro4x, they are THE SAME!! So why will the rough country top spacer not work on the Pro4x? They tried to tell me its geometry - the lower strut mount angle is different on the pro4x - (I can find no evidence of this on Nissan's site, as the part to replace a pro4x is the same as every other trim level - so where is the difference??) - so putting a spacer in will not necessarily give it the lift as advertised due to geometry. WTF does that mean?? I understand angles and geometry, but it is no different than all the other trim models. Another company told me that a 2.5 inch spacer on a pro4x would actually cause a 6" lift - I actually hung up on that one, because that is ridiculous. So I am left with what to buy for a budget lift.

5. Next is Coil Bucket Contact. OMG - some have it some dont. I assume the one's who do not have it are not wheeling at all. Some companies sell bump stops, some do not. If I use them, where the hell do I mount them? And, I can order new control arms, but $507?? hell, I might as well get the Radflos! But then I am told that with those, I still need to new control arms as well.

6. A local 4wd custom shop, who does very good work on Ford, Chevy, Jeep, and Hummer, who I am not very trusting of as of yet due to the crap that flows from his mouth EVERY time he talks, and his advertising wrapped vehicle is a HUGE Hummer with a 6 inch lift and 37" tires and he hates working on Toyotas and Nissans...... because "They were not meant for mods......" is my only shop around for seeking local work beyond my scope (he also wanted $2300 for new rims, tires that I can purchase online, mounted and balanced for $1700 all he was adding to the package was an alignment - I fail to see an alignment costing me $600 when I can easily bolt the wheels on myself!) This guy down talk Nisstech Lifts as being a "new shop" and tells me guys around here that have used them end up having him take their crap off and go with other brands, like Rough Country, etc. - which I think is total bull****, but hey, that is what I am dealing with locally.

7. So, being a new X owner, (2011 Pro4x) you can see my frustrations. Even some of the posts on here are contradictory, sooooo, not sure which direction to go. Currently, I am looking at a simple 2-3" lift with top spacer, bump stops, and shackles or AAL in the back and upsizing the rims to 17x8 and getting 285/70/17 GrabberX3 or the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. OR just staying with the stock rim completely, sticking with the stock tire size - 265/75/16 in the Grabber X3 and doing some other mods that I want over time - front bumper, sliders, rear bumper with tire mount, etc, and the next time I need tires, hopefully be able to do a full suspension lift (Radflos, UCA's, etc.) and upsize my tires/rims at that point.

I am currently not doing much wheeling, but would like to start - and since I live in OH, not a lot available in my immediate area, so I would be limited on when I can go due to my work/family demands, to a couple of times a year, so the bulk of my driving is on the road, and let's face it, I want the X to simply look good.

Lastly, I found this kit online, is anyone familiar with this brand?

Silver 3" + 1.5" - 2" Lift Kit With Full Accessories For Suzuki Nissan 05+ | eBay

They claim it fits my vehicle.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 AM
2007 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Garage
I think just going with this kit for the time being and upgrading as needed in the future will be fine. AFAIK, coil bucket contact (CBC) isn't dangerous and doesn't actually hurt anything, its just an annoying thump.

PRG Products

Look for some Mom & Pop shops, I've never had issue getting tires installed with them and you can probably find one that sells the tires you want at a similar price to online. My guy here locally is usually within $100 of online cost for 4 and includes mount, balance and rotation. Plus he installed the 285s on my pickups 16x7 wheels and never mentioned any issue with it.

There's what I got for ya, good luck!

Last edited by TerryD; 05-18-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Just call PRG.

Or nisstec, they are decent. Don't let them sell you on extended brake lines though.

PRG really knows his stuff and will not sell you something you don't need.

Just be aware that PRG is difficult to get ahold of and the order can take a while if everything isn't in stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran
2005 Super Black Xterra Off-Road 6MT

If I were you I would start with this lift: Here

With the 2 leaf AAL. You will have some CBC but it will be minimal. I prefer AAL to just longer shackles.

As far as the wheels/tires go, its a waste of money IMO to powdercoat your stock wheels. If you want them black just rattle can them, mine came out great for like 2-3 hours of work and $25 bucks.

Go with 33's (285/70/17 or 285/75/16), you will regret buying new 32's. There are 2 issues with buying aftermarket wheels- 1. Our brake calipers are large and sometimes wheels cant clear them, although with a 17" rim you will have a better chance. 2. If the wheel offset sticks the tires out too far from stock you might need to trim some fender because they will rub, even with a 2" lift.

When I first put my 33's on I had to put my wheels and tires in the back of a pickup and bring them over because the 285/75/16 is not on the list of acceptable tires for the X. Try to find a smaller independent shop that might help you out too.

Good luck

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 AM
2015 Xterra Pro-4x

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
Just call PRG.

Or nisstec, they are decent. Don't let them sell you on extended brake lines though.
Why would one want to avoid extended brake lines from Nisstec?

"Go as slow as possible, but as fast as necessary" - @Lizardking's life lessons
724; PSU Alumni; 15Pro4x

Last edited by Old Navy; 05-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran
2005 Super Black Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoung992 View Post
Quote:
Just call PRG.

You don't need them for 2-3" lift

Last edited by Old Navy; 05-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Just call PRG.

I think he means you just don't need them with that lift.
I have extended Radflos and 1" top spacer ordered, with 3" Alcans and 3-4" lift 5100s.
Nisstec was insistent I needed brake lines with that order, so I went ahead with them.

Last edited by Old Navy; 05-18-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran
2007 Knight Armor Xterra Off Road

@YoukerJ There is a shop down in Cinci call Jacob at All-Terrain Outfitters, I used to wheel with the guy that owns it. He might be able to help you out some on lift install if you want to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoukerJ View Post
I appreciate all the posts and all the advice I am getting from all of you who have actually done the mods I want to do. I am willing to do much of the work myself, have good tools, air compressor, impact wrench, and all that I need, just need to get a good set of jack stands and a floor jack, which is no problem. What I am having issues with is the following:

1. Many local tire installers will not install 285/75/16's on my stock rims because they are only 7 inches wide, and that is below the tires minimum recommendation. I found one that will, but wants me to sign disclosures of no liability, etc. and wants to charge me $200 to install tires I bring in myself (I can order online much cheaper than I can purchase locally). I am being told by another shop that he can mount them on the rims for me - but, I have to buy them from him, at a higher cost than I can order online, but he will not support anything after I leave the shop because the tire will wear out faster since the rim is below the recommended minimum size. Claims I will only get about 35K-40K out of a sset of Grabber X3s or Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 16x7 inch rims.

285/75/16s will fit fine on the stock rims. I have over 75K on my a set of ko2s in that size. Have you tried Tire Discounters? They were the main store I went to when i was out there and they never gave me any trouble, or All-Terrain also prob do the tires install for you

2. Local places want anywhere from $250 per set up to $500 per set to powder coat rims, which is fine, but I have to bring them a BARE rim and I do not have spares to mount and that is my only vehicle, which poses a problem, because there is a 2 week turn around time and they will not "add me to the list" until they actually have the rims in hand. Installers can not store my car for 2 weeks with no wheels, and want $100 to remove tires anyway, which now brings the cost of powder coating close to buying new rims.

Are you just looking to black them out? Plasti-dip works really well as an alternative

3. I am not fond of the rims available for our bolt pattern in a 16 inch, but I have found some 17" that are nice, which is ok, as I can step up to a 285/70/17 and still have the same sidewall height I have now (stock 265/75/16) and still have a 33" tire due to the one inch larger rim. So, I am thinking of getting the Rockstar 3's (which are 17x8, and mounters here will mount the 285s on that rim).

4. Lift kits - Jesus Christ - talk about stupidity!! I cant really afford to do the Radflo coilovers right now on the front, so that leaves me with strut spacers. Ok, why do some companies INSIST on telling me that the Pro4x already has a lift - IT DOES NOT, it has a larger tire, and Billstein shocks as stock, BUT NO LIFT, NO SPACER, and when I measure hub center to fender on my Pro4x and other non pro4x, they are THE SAME!! So why will the rough country top spacer not work on the Pro4x? They tried to tell me its geometry - the lower strut mount angle is different on the pro4x - (I can find no evidence of this on Nissan's site, as the part to replace a pro4x is the same as every other trim level - so where is the difference??) - so putting a spacer in will not necessarily give it the lift as advertised due to geometry. WTF does that mean?? I understand angles and geometry, but it is no different than all the other trim models. Another company told me that a 2.5 inch spacer on a pro4x would actually cause a 6" lift - I actually hung up on that one, because that is ridiculous. So I am left with what to buy for a budget lift.

Spacer/AAL/Shackel is a good budget lift. You might get a little bit of CBC but there are ways around that too. keep an eye out for used stuff here and on clubfrontier, can get things for good deals and condition. Some of us have parts that are going on 3ed or 4th owners and work good as new.

Really if you want to wheel with it and do it cheep, tires are you first stop. I did wind rock stock shrot of sliders and tires and had an absolute blast. Hell the wind rock cops all run stock pro4xs and they take them every where in the park and abuse the hell out of them. One of the trucks had like 150K on it and it was all inside the park.

5. Next is Coil Bucket Contact. OMG - some have it some dont. I assume the one's who do not have it are not wheeling at all. Some companies sell bump stops, some do not. If I use them, where the hell do I mount them? And, I can order new control arms, but $507?? hell, I might as well get the Radflos! But then I am told that with those, I still need to new control arms as well.

There are ways to hlep prevent and correct CBC, trimming or bumpers. Again keep a look out for used parts.

6. A local 4wd custom shop, who does very good work on Ford, Chevy, Jeep, and Hummer, who I am not very trusting of as of yet due to the crap that flows from his mouth EVERY time he talks, and his advertising wrapped vehicle is a HUGE Hummer with a 6 inch lift and 37" tires and he hates working on Toyotas and Nissans...... because "They were not meant for mods......" is my only shop around for seeking local work beyond my scope (he also wanted $2300 for new rims, tires that I can purchase online, mounted and balanced for $1700 all he was adding to the package was an alignment - I fail to see an alignment costing me $600 when I can easily bolt the wheels on myself!) This guy down talk Nisstech Lifts as being a "new shop" and tells me guys around here that have used them end up having him take their crap off and go with other brands, like Rough Country, etc. - which I think is total bull****, but hey, that is what I am dealing with locally.

Dude clearly knows jack sh!t about nissan stuff and tying to be all bro, try All-Terrain

7. So, being a new X owner, (2011 Pro4x) you can see my frustrations. Even some of the posts on here are contradictory, sooooo, not sure which direction to go. Currently, I am looking at a simple 2-3" lift with top spacer, bump stops, and shackles or AAL in the back and upsizing the rims to 17x8 and getting 285/70/17 GrabberX3 or the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. OR just staying with the stock rim completely, sticking with the stock tire size - 265/75/16 in the Grabber X3 and doing some other mods that I want over time - front bumper, sliders, rear bumper with tire mount, etc, and the next time I need tires, hopefully be able to do a full suspension lift (Radflos, UCA's, etc.) and upsize my tires/rims at that point.

I am currently not doing much wheeling, but would like to start - and since I live in OH, not a lot available in my immediate area, so I would be limited on when I can go due to my work/family demands, to a couple of times a year, so the bulk of my driving is on the road, and let's face it, I want the X to simply look good.

Look up Ohio River 4 Wheelers (or maybe its Four) on FB they are a fantatsic club out of Cinci and i wheeled with them for a while before we moved.

Lastly, I found this kit online, is anyone familiar with this brand?

Silver 3" + 1.5" - 2" Lift Kit With Full Accessories For Suzuki Nissan 05+ | eBay

They claim it fits my vehicle.

Please dont buy that, please please dont. Lots of ebay stuff is just junk.

Any suggestions?
Try and take a look at these

2" Top Plate Spacer/Shackle Kit - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

PRG Products

PRG Products

PRG Products

Last edited by Un4seen4; 05-18-2017 at 09:55 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAHVT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssanders224 View Post
I have extended Radflos and 1" top spacer ordered, with 3" Alcans and 3-4" lift 5100s.
Nisstec was insistent I needed brake lines with that order, so I went ahead with them.
Exactly. We do not need front extended lines in the for a stock width lift under 3". Titan swap, yes, but stock width no. Nisstec tells people they do, but they do not.

Sanders - you would only "need" them in the rear, if you don't do the brake line relocate mod.

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and

Last edited by Old Navy; 05-18-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Corrected - I Think.....
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAHVT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssanders224 View Post
Exactly. We do not need front extended lines in the for a stock width lift under 3". Titan swap, yes, but stock width no. Nisstec tells people they do, but they do not.

Sanders - you would only "need" them in the rear, if you don't do the brake line relocate mod.
Well... shoot. Ha.

Steven as Nisstec said with the rads, SPCs, and a 1" spacer, at full droop, with the steering at full lock it pulls too tight on one side (can't remember which one).

I didn't think I needed them in the rear, but again, they said with with the 3-4" 5100s and the Alcans it's possible to pull on them.

Last edited by Old Navy; 05-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode