Disappointed in my New Xterra, Stalling, Drivability, Flywheel Clutch Failure - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
2007 Xterra Off Road 6MT

Disappointed in my New Xterra, Stalling, Drivability, Flywheel Clutch Failure

Hey all. Ranting incoming.

So I've had my Xterra for about 4 months now. I've put maybe 2000 miles on it? It is a 2007 6MT Off Road with 68k miles. I've recently come to realize that I'm actually very disappointed in the vehicle.

Little background: I've grown up an avid car guy. My first car was a stick shift 1985 Corvette. Intake, Long tube headers and exhaust, plus brakes wheels and tires. That thing kicked ass. Still have it, it sits in my dad's garage. Second car was a 1983 K5 Blazer. I sanded the entire thing body and frame to bare metal, then primed and bedlined the entire baby. Lifted it 4" and put some 35" tires on it plus an POSI LSD. Also a stick shift. I loved that truck. That dinky 5.0L 305cui could still make those 35"s screech. She wheeled like a boss too. I spun the main bearing on the motor, but the truck had at least 200k miles on it if not more. Sits on my dad's property. 3rd car was my 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX. 2.5L Turbo. 5 speed manual shift. Lowered it on coilovers, exhaust intake and tune. Pulled like a horse, handled fantastic.

You get the picture.

The Xterra is my 4th vehicle. I got it in hopes of having a decent off roading SUV, that also could handle highways and daily driving. I am very disappointed in the truck so far. Forget that at 68k miles it needed a $1500 timing chain replacement, or that the clutch is at 5% life left according to the dealer tech.

The throttle response is terrible; it feels like the gas pedal position sensor to ecu to throttle mapping is completely crap! There is no fine control over the rpms. Push the pedal a bit, RPMs don't move anywhere. Keep pushing, all of a sudden they jump up to 1500, then drop down to 1100 or something even if you keep your foot exactly still once they start moving up! Also the ECU seems to be an idiot when it comes to keep the motor from dying. This is a 2007 fuel injected motor for goodness sake. My carburated 83 Blazer, 85 early fuel injection Corvette, and 2006 Subaru all were much more capable of monitoring engine RPS. Really consider it! The vacuum advance system on a 1983 Blazer does a better job at keeping the motor from stalling out than a 2007 Nissan with 68k miles. This truck sucks! It is infuriating. At every stoplight and stop sign the truck is jumpy and grabby to get going, or just stalls out and dies. It is like the ECU isn't even watching the RPMS, not to mention the idle is something stupid low like 600 or 500. I try to slowly let the clutch up and the ECU doesn't rev the motor at all. Either the RPMS tank form 500 or 600 to zero and it stalls, or the truck slowly gets going while the RPMs just stay right at 500. What moron programmed this thing! Oh and this 4.0 motor is trash. No torque, not oomph, but burns just as much gas my 1983 K5 blazer. I don't know about all you guys towing but my X is SLOW. You have to wring it for all it is worth for it to be about as fast as a midsize sedan.

Oh yeah and it can't even off road that well. Gutless torqueless motor is useless in 4Hi for offroading, and 4Lo is painfully slow unless you're spinning at like 3.5k rpms. Just yesterday I was exploring a trail with a friend and we had to turn back at something that I'm pretty sure a stock Wrangler could handle. Hell my K5 would have been all over it! I've got 33"s too so it isn't like my truck is stock.

TL;DR

Xterra has poor ECU RPM management, poor throttle response, poor gas pedal to throttle mapping/programing, stalls out excessively, needs timing chain and clutch ($1500+$2800 at dealer), can't even off road well.

If it wasn't financial suicide I'd sell this weak excuse for an vehicle (off and on road) and dump the money into my Chevy's and buy some dinky old Subaru sedan that would probably be more reliable than this nisscrap.

Okay rant over. Sorry for the negativity but I feel sick after borrowing $11k for a truck that I now can't stand. Two more years to graduate so I don't even have the ability to get another car without taking a huge financial hit.

“Being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions.”
― John Locke, Second Treatise of Government

Last edited by Max Chen; 05-20-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM
2014 Lava Red Xterra S

So, you are upset because you Xterra isn't as quick as your Corvette or your WRX?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Hate to say it bud but you either have a lemon, or you can't drive a stick off road. I'll take my X up against any similarly equipped Jeep Rubicon out there....including their stock front lockers. The X's 4.0 has far more torque than the jeep engines. If you're doing trails in 4H, you're doing it wrong. My friend took his stock frontier to Moab with us and did an entire day on Red trails.... never killed it once.... very first time driving off road.
lowhombre, NOAHVT, dmski and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Last edited by IM1RU; 05-14-2017 at 09:18 PM.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 PM
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

I think there is something wrong with your engine, I have an 06 with 140k and the motor is still strong and while it doesnt have the throttle control of the 08 350z i traded for it its good enough. I dont expect it to have great precise throttle response, but it gets the job done. What your experiencing is that particular vehicles problem, not Xterra's as a whole.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Looks like you bought a truck with some issues. I would tell you that generalizing based on your issues is a moot point and so on but I'm sure you know that. My truck has none of those issues, although I do prefer non-electronic throttle bodies better than the drive by wire system, you basically have to hold the gas down an extra half second, but I got used to that the first day. The clutch issue will make it a PITA to drive on top of your other issues. Being in CO, I'm sure you can find another member here with a manual to meet up with to see how it should feel. I would reserve judgment on all 6mt Xterras until you fix your issues or try another one in good working order.

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 PM

The clutch did take a little bit of adjustment coming from an WRX for sure, but I've never stalled it moving forward, only putting it in reverse 'cause that's a new one for me.

The timing chain is a maintenance item, could go on any vehicle.

A 4 liter engine is not a 5 liter engine, so I can see how you would find it underpowered.

Your Pro4x has a locker in the back so it should be very capable. I've never seen this complaint before. I gotta say it may be a problem between the steering wheel and driver's seat...
bentparts and GDPearson like this.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jasontamu Send a message via Yahoo to Jasontamu
Could it be ipdm and u said it yourself...it needs a clutch....that would solve torque and power to wheels issues..

None of what your saying sounds like an xterra...

J

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

08-X MODEL-4X4-WHITE-MB TKO'S-AVIC-D3-DURATRAC's-PRG DUAL AAL REAR-REAR LIFT SHACKLE-SHROCKWORKS SLIDERS-HARDCORE OFFROAD FRONT AND REAR BUMPER, OEM FOGS-TITAN SWAP 1-30-16: M226 eLOCKER, LOKKA 3.36 RATIO, 1ST GEN TUNDRA COIL OVERS ---> IT WILL NEVER END.......
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
The clutch did take a little bit of adjustment coming from an WRX for sure, but I've never stalled it moving forward, only putting it in reverse 'cause that's a new one for me.

The timing chain is a maintenance item, could go on any vehicle.

A 4 liter engine is not a 5 liter engine, so I can see how you would find it underpowered.

Your Pro4x has a locker in the back so it should be very capable. I've never seen this complaint before. I gotta say it may be a problem between the steering wheel and driver's seat...
I have a 2002 Z06 with 18k miles, short throw shifter etc and I had no problems going back and forth between the vehicles. 410hp/415tq at 2900lbs VS 261hp/281tq at 5600lbs. I don't think it is the driver, I'm pretty sure something is seriously wrong with his truck.
OneFastVette likes this.

post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I've mentioned in past posts your X's throttle isn't working correctly. If it won't rev anywhere between .6k and 1.5k who knows what kind of problems/lack of power you're getting at any rpm. Complaining it's gutless is pointless until you fix the throttle problem.

Carpe lardum
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Supporting Member
2013 Super Black ❌terra X w/Mods

Garage
I bought Hefty all around for a steal from a guy with an '0? MT Pro-4x. He was going to sell it on the forum/craig's etc., but he did an oil change and found coolant in the synthetic, horrible mess. He decided to trade it in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee instead of unloading on a forum member, etc., and I got the goodies turning his into a trade-in, stock, bumpers, etc.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. Keep an eye on your used oil at change.....

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode