Clock Spring Failure? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By tasty
  • 1 Post By satown210

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
2008 Xterra S

Clock Spring Failure?

Let me start by saying that I have read alot of different threads on this topic but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

So, my airbag light has been on for the last couple years and I'm finally getting around to fixing it. A while back I had the dealership look at it and they said it was probably the clock spring. They wanted $450 to fix it which is why I've been putting it off.

Now my questions:

1. Is this for sure the clock spring? From what I've read a clock spring failure usually causes other problems too (horn failure, cruise control failure, etc). I don't have any of those other issues. I would go get it diagnosed again but the dealer wants $150 just to re-check it.

2. Is this a job I could do on my own? $450 sounds pretty steep so if I could save myself some money by doing it myself that would be nice.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
I can't say for sure cause i'm in a similar situation, but here is a free bump because I am also curious.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM

So leave it be, we went 100 years without airbags. Have you ever used one?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Noobie
2010 Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stihly dan View Post
So leave it be, we went 100 years without airbags. Have you ever used one?
We have those safety features in our cars for a reason though. Some of us spend a lot of time on highways and what not that are at speeds of 70 mph. I know personally I drive on interstate 44 In Missouri to school every other weekend and its considered one of the more dangerous highways around this area. Airbag failure is a scary thought, plus having that annoying light on the dash is irksome.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM
2007 Avalanche White Xterra S

I had the same issue, it was the clockspring but here is some advice

1 - Get the part code (yes u need to dissemble everything CAREFULLY, I believe there is a tutorial around here) and search for the part online (ebay)

2 - make sure you get the complete assembly used (include the steering angle sensor) because the thing is, APPARENTLY, form 05 to 06 is different fromt 06 to 07, and 08 to 09, and so it goes, why? beats me, but trust me, I have an assembly from 05 and one from 06 and it didn't work on my 07.

3 - when you get the part its pretty much plug n play, once you place it just get it turned all the way to either direction and count 2 and a half turns, that's your center, and assembly. if you don't do it will break inside and youre pretty much back to zero.

hope it helps!
dallonpalmer and Spirit Racer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Usually a new clock spring has a clip or lock holding it in the center position. Make sure to not turn it when installing it and you don't have to try and find center or risk damaging it doing so. I have seen some clock springs that were so delicate you couldn't feel the end of the turns...
c23rd likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode