2012 Xterra Pro-4X
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Croix, USVI
Xterra Easter Eggs (Secret Stuff you Didn't Read)
The James Bond stuff:
I'm working on a list of stuff that the Xterra has/does that no one read in the manual or found online. The weird cool stuff that make people want to buy another Xterra. Please contribute to this list and help me out. I have made a start here but need your help.
1. The ticking you hear when the turn signal is on is not a turn signal relay, it’s actually a sound coming from a speaker in the dash, same one that does the headlight and door chime.
2. For the 6 speed manual transmission, depress clutch FULLY for start, then only 3 to 4 inches needed for all subsequent shifts.
3. The center console lid has 'cut-outs' on either side of the latch so when you run a wire that’s plugged into the 12v socket out, it won't get crushed and the lid can fully close.
4. Pushing up on the wiper stalk will cause the wipers to wipe just once.
5. All seat belts lock up while the truck is at severe angles or in case of a rollover.
6. Little pocket on the passenger seat about a foot above the center console is for maps.
7. There are pen holders on the underside of the center console lid
8. Yes, that is a secret glove box above the other glove box.
9. Unlock the driver's door or hatch twice without removing the key unlocks all 5 doors
10. Pack the roof cargo area with drinks and snow for beverage cooler in the winter.
11. The cover to the bottom of the back cargo area can be used as a downhill sled.
12. There is a hidden torx wrench under the seat with the jack for the roof rack cross members. It also fits all of the screws which hold down the rack.
13. The MODE button on the steering wheel turns on the stereo.
14. You can take out the back seat cushions and use them as pillows. They can also act as flotation devices in the case of a water landing.
15. Cup holder inserts can be used to drink from.
16. The back seat door latch can be used as a bottle opener.
17. A one quart bottle of oil fits perfectly at the rear driver's side under the hood. There's a little area there to the outboard side of the brake booster and the power brake lines.
18. The windows will go up or down for 30 seconds after removing the key unless you open a door. The headlights go out after several minutes with the key out.
19. IPDM (Herbie the love bug) Test
Pull wipers up and away from the windshield, make sure headlights and wiper switches are off.
With all but the driver’s door closed insert key into ignition and switch to ON (not acc) without starting.
Press driver’s door switch 10 times. Driver’s door switch is the black rubber covered spring loaded pressure switch on the B pillar of the door frame.
Switch ignition to OFF and back to ON again without starting.
Get out and watch.
20. System Reset:
Disconnect battery for 15 minutes and hold horn for 30 seconds to reset the system.
21. Traction control VDC:
Hold in for several seconds until light goes off. Turns off VDC, ABLS and low throttle.
22. Auto-lock at 15mph OFF
Turn the key to ON. Start the vehicle. Press and hold the LOCK button until the hazards flash.
23. Auto-unlock at key out OFF
Turn the key to ON. Start the vehicle. Press and hold the UNLOCK button until the hazards flash.
24. FOB Horn Lock: If you hold down the unlock and lock buttons on the key fob at the same time and for around 10 seconds, it deactivates the horn beep during locking. Hold both buttons for 5 seconds turns off the flashing lights. Hold them again will make them flash every time you lock.
25. Holding the odometer button switch pushed in before turning the key on and starting, during starting, and a few seconds after the engine is started, you will see "test" display on the screen and it allows you to check all function of the gauge cluster including being able to scroll through a lot of engine ECU PID gauge information.
26. Gauge and bulb test
Choose a trip odometer you want to reset A or B, and turn the ignition off with the one you don’t mind losing displayed. Push in the reset button and hold it while starting the truck. Push reset button again to cycle through the different readouts.
27. Transport Mode ON
A shipping option that allows the vehicle to be put into a hibernation state so that the battery isn't getting drained by various systems during extended non-drive periods.
28. Transport Mode to OFF
Insert a main key into ignition. Hold down both the exterior lights shaft and the turn signal for about 10 secs. After about 10 secs, push both of the shafts to the "UP" position, and then return them to their normal positions. Open the driver's door to finish.
29. When driving with the roof lights on in the Pro-4X, the windshield washer jets use the third jet to clean the roof lights.
( A MILLION USES AND COUNTING )
Last edited by ConLima; 04-18-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Reason: Added 29