Didn't do Well in Snow! - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2009 Silver Lightning Xterra S

Didn't do Well in Snow!

So today we got 7/8/9 inches of snow sleet mix, took the newly acquired 2009 X out this afternoon, seemed prety good til I tried an unplowed hill up to a high school. Nope, half way up and that was it!! It has 45% worn General Grabbers on it, so is this the issue? My Grand Cherokee with Hankook I-Pikes would have been no problem. Like the X and wonder if tires are big factor for snow with this truck? What say all you experts that have been driving Xterras in snow etc.? Like everything so far about the vehicel except the snow traction part?! Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Has to be the tires. My xterra has been the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow to date.
dreamX and Jyoung992 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Cap'n Slow
2015 Metallic Blue ❌terra Pro-4X

You can't compare a true snow tire against an A/T, they won't stack up well, at all. Most of the A/T's out there how a snowflake or winter rating, but that still will never compare to a true winter tire. Put the Generals on the Cherokee or the I-Pikes on the X and come back to us with a valid comparison. Also, liberal application of the go pedal is good for snowy hills.
ZheKing likes this.

R. Long
Click Here for >

SoCal Club Xterra >

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Tires tires tires

: 292
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Pa View Post
So today we got 7/8/9 inches of snow sleet mix, took the newly acquired 2009 X out this afternoon, seemed prety good til I tried an unplowed hill up to a high school. Nope, half way up and that was it!! It has 45% worn General Grabbers on it, so is this the issue? My Grand Cherokee with Hankook I-Pikes would have been no problem. Like the X and wonder if tires are big factor for snow with this truck? What say all you experts that have been driving Xterras in snow etc.? Like everything so far about the vehicel except the snow traction part?! Dave
Are these the original Grabber tires? If so, They're an aggressive mud-terrain made for tracks vs. a winter tire is bad mojo.

Mud-terrain tires in general are not that great in snow and a AT tire with a lot of sipping will do a lot better but still not as good as winter tires.

Also, their isn't a lot of difference between 4x4 vehicles in snow except for tires. Their will be some electronic traction control differences but it's mostly the shoes themselves that make the difference not so much the vehicle. I use to drive a Mustang year round and had snow tires on it in winter and I got to places in that RWD that 4x4 people with highway tires couldn't.

Last edited by IssacHunter; 03-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Tires Tires Tires..... I'm running Duratracks on the X, and Blizzaks on the Subaru. Unless I'm plowing snow with the Subaru, it'll kick the X's a$$ in the snow.

That said, 4Hi and Duratracks in the snow and it'll go anywhere.... or close to it.
Put a real snow tire on it, and it's game over IMO.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM
2011 Xterra X

Garage
Many factors could have played a role in my opinion. Although tires probably played a significant one, if your non-winter tires couldn't achieve grip, I'd say most any 4WD would have struggled at least a bit in the conditions you're describing.

2011 Xterra "X"
"Just because I have no idea what I'm doing doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself" -me
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran
2009 Radiant Silver Frontier SE

Titan swap and air down.
jeffnjm3 and Jyoung992 like this.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran
the 2008 Hybrid Edition

Grabbers aren't tires. Put some Revo2's on.

If you're "Feeling the Bern", I'd get checked out for STD's.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Dremel Operator
2007 Lightning Silver ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort View Post
Grabbers aren't tires. Put some Revo2's on.
Yeah I heard grabbers are made from recycled condoms and tampon applicators
ZheKing likes this.

: 292

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode