To Gut Cats, or Not To Gut Cats - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
View Poll Results: To Gut or Not To Gut
Replace Cats With Aftermarkets? 14 73.68%
Gut First Set of Cats? 1 5.26%
GUT ALL FOUR CATS?!!! 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2006 Xterra Off-Road

To Gut Cats, or Not To Gut Cats

Hey guys,

2006 OR 4X4, 126K miles - throwing P0420 every few hundred miles, and it threw P0430 a couple thousand miles ago. I think the "pre-cats" are originals, but can't be sure. As I'm sure most of you know, this beast has 4 cats, but only the first two upstream, "pre-cats" are the ones that the O2 sensors take a reading from. I'm on here looking for some opinions, and/or personal experiences. I've been all over this site, and others, and have read countless opinions, but I'd like to get some fresh input on my exact situation.

I already picked up some check engine light eliminators, and plan to put them on the second set of O2 sensors whether I gut the cats or not. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically, I'd rather gut the cats and play the game to make the CEL go away than replace the cats. OEMs are too expensive, and the best warranty you can get with an aftermarket seems to be Eastern, which is only 50K miles. I don't want to dump money into them now, only to have to do it again in 50K miles. Also, as temping as long-headers are, I don't feel like dishing out that kind of money either ($400). I'm just looking for a cheap fix that's going to last, and from what I can tell gutting the pre-cats, (and maybe the second set just for fun) is the easiest route with the longest lasting results. BTW, I don't have to worry about emissions testing at all.

I would like to hear from people who have actually gutted their cats, and/or have some input as to the pros/cons. I'm thinking about doing the second set as well, just for fun, and because I don't want to have to get down there again in the future if they start getting plugged as well. Seems like preventative maintenance to just gut them now, right? Appreciate your guys' input. Please cast your vote!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_2012_nissan_xterra_o2_sensor_location_01.jpg (24.1 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 PM
2007 Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Garage
Apologies, but I took the title of this thread to mean something COMPLETELY different than what you are talking about
bcollins and x-men-terra like this.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Haha, I figured that title would get some second looks. I see you voted to replace them. Any major downsides you know of for simply gutting them?
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 PM
2007 Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsanders View Post
Haha, I figured that title would get some second looks. I see you voted to replace them. Any major downsides you know of for simply gutting them?
Uh nope. I didn't vote because I have very little experience with practical applications of catalytic converters. Must have been someone else
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 PM
2005 Avalanche White Xterra SE

Garage
Yeah I have been considering gutting my cats, but my wife would kill me. She really loves those kitties.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road 6MT

Garage
I don't have any experience, but I have been considering replacing my Cats with these https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissa...2gruo1pp25gv46. I recently read a post on here about the front cats destroying someone's motor due to some back pressure(?). Anyway, if I read correctly these replace the front cats(?). At least it's an option worth considering. I haven't priced replacements, but I would imagine these are easier on the wallet.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra S

I'm also thinking going this route. B pipes into 1 muffler and out.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulemarine View Post
I don't have any experience, but I have been considering replacing my Cats with these https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissa...2gruo1pp25gv46. I recently read a post on here about the front cats destroying someone's motor due to some back pressure(?). Anyway, if I read correctly these replace the front cats(?). At least it's an option worth considering. I haven't priced replacements, but I would imagine these are easier on the wallet.
Someone correct me if I wrong, but I believe those connect after the first set of catalytic converters and replace the second set. I would love to find a bolt in straight pipe to replace the first cats for a decent price though.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
So I don't know how it will work on the X, but when I did it on my old civic, I had to put in an O2 "cheater" between the sensor and coming back in the car so that the ECU wouldn't be thrown off and so it would "pass" inspection. Don't know if we would have to do something similar.

>

> Xterra Achievement Points: 395 pts
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Noobie
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBiohazard View Post
So I don't know how it will work on the X, but when I did it on my old civic, I had to put in an O2 "cheater" between the sensor and coming back in the car so that the ECU wouldn't be thrown off and so it would "pass" inspection. Don't know if we would have to do something similar.
Yup, I have the O2 spacer ready to go, and will be putting it on if and when I hollow them out. The thing I'm most worried about is whether or not the exhaust is going to obnoxiously loud or have a drone sound.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode