Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

WTF Happened to Our Re-sale Value?!

7K views 75 replies 28 participants last post by  IM1RU 
#1 · (Edited)
I went to trade in my Xterra on a really clean older Yukon. 2005 OffRoad, very clean, 112K, and it is worth between $3700-$4200?!?! WTF......... That sucks.

2005 4Runner same options and mileage comes in @ $7500-$8200......double

#4 ·
You are talking about an 11 to 12 year old vehicle that does not have the cult following of a Toyota and that was worth far less when new. Funny part is if you were trying to sell a Frontier of the same year, you might still get double. The Frontier can be used as a work truck, soccer moms do not want an old vehicle to take the kids to practice. It sucks for us all, but it is the way of the world.

#6 ·
I just had no idea the values had plummeted so much. I guess because I do think it is a great vehicle and there is a decent amount of off-road gizmos.

I just need something larger for towing / camping gear. But if that is trade in value, I guess I'll just keep it I was thinking it was worth around $8000 or so....

#17 ·
I was thinking it was worth around $8000 or so....
For a 12 year old truck no longer in production?? That's delusional. I paid $8,000 for my '05 Xterra Offroad at a dealership 4 years ago, including tax & DMV fees, and it only had 75,000 miles on it and came with a warranty.

Private party value for your Xterra is $5,000 - $6,000, depending on condition. Trade-in is $3,700 - $4,900.

#13 ·
It is a discontinued model. that KILLS resale value. I used to be an automotive loan officer and you wouldn't believe how many clients I dealt with that lost 25-50% of their vehicle's value when the brand killed the model.

I felt sorry for the Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, Saab, etc owners. That's how I bought a 2004 Saturn Vue with 150k miles in excellent condition for $1800. That was 2 years ago.

#18 ·
In my experience (and observation), Nissans traditionally have a lower resale value over Toyota.

And I've owned plenty Nissans in the past (1994 300ZT TT, 1995 300ZX, 1996 300ZX, 2003 350z Track, 1994 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Murano SL).

If it's any consolation, the dealer gave me $6k for my 2008 BMW 528i w/ 120k miles, and all maintenance/service was up to date so it needed nothing.

#19 · (Edited)
Moral of the story don't trade sell outright.

I have been on the hunt for a close or under 100k Xterra for a while that was not trashed or abused at a reasonable price.. I am in Michigan however so its different up here. Not as many of them around.

Good luck on this. post a quick ad on craigslist and see what happens.

#26 ·
I like my Xterra but I like the space of the Yukon too. Not needing to get out of the Xterra so I guess I'll just hang onto it. I know it's history and how well taken care it has been. Synthetic blend oil every 3K, oem parts for everything etc.

#27 · (Edited)
sounds like you need some love.......

....................................."Love - It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru"

"Subaru has the Best Resale Value of all brands for 2016 according to Kelley Blue Book"

Vehicle’s projected resale value is specific to the 2016 model year.
For more information, visit Kelley Blue Book’s KBB.com.
Kelley Blue Book is a registered trademark of Kelley Blue Book Co., Inc.

#29 ·
Get ur panties out of a wad. Mexico is 6 hours or less away. People from Mexico, aka Mexicans, come here and buy pickups regularly and take them back to Mexico. Apparently they are able to fetch a premium there. When I went to auto auctions, people from Mexico (mexicans) would bid much higher than they were worth here.

God people are so damn worried about PC.

#30 ·
Get ur panties out of a wad. Mexico is 6 hours or less away. People from Mexico, aka Mexicans, come here and buy pickups. . . . God people are so damn worried about PC.
Nice try, but no cigar.

With all due respect, your reference to Mexicans buying pickups came off as bigoted to nearly everyone who read it. A simple retraction and an apology to those you offended would have been the right thing to do.

BTW, do you have a progress report on that conspiracy between the county sheriff and the local court to convict you of speeding for no good reason?

#34 ·
Just curious - why do you even want a Yukon? I may be a bit biased, but everything about those seems worse than an Xterra, especially if you are going for something older.

#39 ·
I was not looking at that old. I was looking at a 2006 body style. The 5.3 LS series engines in those easily go past 250K without any problems. And like said above, they are usually very cheap to work on. They are comfortable and nice riding. I do need 4x4 for sand and mud, but don't need a short wheelbase for rock climbing. I really would like more room for camping gear and more comfort for passengers. When I head to the coast, packing the Xterra with what I need is doable but like a game of Tetris.

The Yukon I saw had 105K, all the dealer records since new, leather, heated seats, rear a/c, air suspension, 4x4, sunroof, Bose, etc etc. Just a bunch of nice creature comforts for $8200.

I'd really like a 1-Ton Suburban 4x4 with the 6.0L. Those suckers are hard to find. A lot seem to have the 8.1L which i think is sweet but I can't handle 9 MPG. Not in a hurry or need to get out of the Xterra, just would like something with more room for gear and more room for people. I was looking to see if a good deal was out there but had not realized what happened to the value of the Xterra.

If someone is in the marker for a 4x4 SUV, Xterras are a steal.

#41 · (Edited)
I don't find what he said bigoted or racist. In the border states, Mexicans do indeed cross over for a number a reasons. Tourism, commerce, work, personal shopping, etc. Americans and Canadians do the same.

Mexicans often do buy used vehicles and take them back to Mexico. There's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing wrong with mentioning it. Can we just accept this at face value and move back on to the topic of Yukons and resale values?

#44 ·
You guys border experts up there now? Down here at the actual border, we're pretty familiar with what it means when someone up North says "The Mexicans."

While Mexican nationals do buy, and like, US cars, they mostly don't cross the border to get them. They go to dealers. In Mexico. The road near my house (Route 83) and the Naco or Douglas crossings are the major route for broker's trucks of used cars leaving Arizona.

I hope we can move back to the topic of Yukons and resale values. I don't find what he said bigoted or racist. In the border states, Mexicans do indeed cross over for a number a reasons. Tourism, commerce, work, personal shopping, etc. Americans and Canadians do the same.

Mexicans often do buy used vehicles and take them back to Mexico. There's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing wrong with mentioning it. Can we just accept this at face value and move on?

#42 · (Edited)
I'll 2nd the "Mexican's will pay a lot..." comment, and I don't mean it racially at all. I've sold a lot of vehicles and generally ask top dollar for them too. It's not a coincidence that about 80% of the vehicles I've sold have been at or above book value and were sold to people of Mexican decent. When I'm selling something and I see they are Hispanic, I get excited - usually means they're gonna pull out a wad of cash. Saying that isn't racists...it's an observation. People in this country have become HYPER sensitive to anything that MIGHT be racist, it's ridiculous.

By the way, if you want top dollar for your Xterra, come to Denver. They are crazy expensive out here, last week I saw a fully loaded '15 Pro-4x with 30k miles for $32k and it's already sold. I bought my '07 last summer with 96k miles for $11k and it was the best deal I could find within 300 miles. $5k for an Xterra with 126k miles wouldn't last more than a couple of days out here...I wish I would have realized that before I bought mine - I would've expanded my search a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.