Considering a Broken X - IPDM Issue - Advice Needed - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

Considering a Broken X - IPDM Issue - Advice Needed

Hello All,

The last couple months I've been looking at 4runners and Xterras for my girlfriend and I. We need something for winters in Tahoe and her to take "off road" for her biological work.

Browsing CL I found a local 2005 SE (144k) for only $2k. The Xterra had a new transmission in '14 as well as many other new parts. It recently stopped running. The owner says the car will randomly die while driving but restarts once you turn it off and on. It sounds like its not making it very far and there are no CELs.

I'm a noob to the Xterra but pretty handy with cars. Some quick search and consulting my best friend at a Nissan dealership leads me to think this is the IPDM. The only other thing I think could cause this issue is a dead crank/cam angle sensor or fuel pump issue. Both of these would provide codes which I plan to check.

From the few hours of research it seems like I can try a new relay to see if this is the actual issue. I'd have the IPDM replaced under the recall and re-evaluate if the truck is worth putting money into.

I feel like this could be a steal since the owner is fed up and wants the truck gone. For those who have had IPDM issues, can you give me any advice on troubleshooting other than swapping relays? What other trouble areas should I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

For an '05 you'd want to watch for noisy timing chain tensioners, make sure the radiator they used as a replacement isn't one that is still on the SMOD list, leaking axle seals, oil pressure gauge reading correctly.

Carpe lardum
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran
2005 Canteen Green Xterra S

I suggest not trying to fix it on the spot. Check fluids, reciepts, and then offer less than she's asking. 05s go for pretty cheap to begin with, so $2k isn't really a bargain.

Also depends if it stuttering before it shuts off. That would be a fuel issue.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Some more background on the vehicle.

In 2014 it had a new factory tranny, water pump, and radiator installed. He also mentioned it has two newer catalytic converters.

I'd reroute the transmission lines out of the radiator to be on the safe side.

What should oil pressure read on cold start and when warm?

Are there easy ways to tell about the timing chain?

Thanks for all the input.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra X 4x4

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jasontamu Send a message via Yahoo to Jasontamu
Timing chain guides are plastic guides that help route the metal timing chain so the sound from the metal chain is like whinning slapping type of noise...look on youtube, i remember seeing videos of people recording it.

i have an 08 with 164k and i havent heard the noise, but im planning this summer to change the guides regardless as they are obviously a wear and tear item.

-J

08-X MODEL-4X4-WHITE-MB TKO'S-AVIC-D3-DURATRAC's-PRG DUAL AAL REAR-REAR LIFT SHACKLE-SHROCKWORKS SLIDERS-HARDCORE OFFROAD FRONT AND REAR BUMPER, OEM FOGS-TITAN SWAP 1-30-16: M226 eLOCKER, LOKKA 3.36 RATIO, 1ST GEN TUNDRA COIL OVERS ---> IT WILL NEVER END.......

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Welcome Center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode