Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

[MPS] Dash CB-UV5R Mounts

FOR SALE 
8K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Fst96se 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a Midland handheld CB?
Or a Bofung UV5 ham radio?
Want it stuck on your dash?
Don't have a local library with a 3D printer and no long wait to use it?

Today is your lucky day...

I use up small bits of scrap material off the ends of spools, so that's free.
I'll throw in the small bit of 3M tape you need for free too. (At least until it drives me to bankruptcy. :grin:)
You do have to pay for postage. Right now that's $7.15 for a small flat rate box, but let me know if you know of a better/cheaper way to do it.
If you have a buddy nearby you can get together, I'll be happy to put 2 in 1 box, and you each get 50% off.
Local club members all want one? Give me a couple days to fill the box and y'all get whatever % off that works out to.

You can PM me or email 29erClan@gmail.com for paypal info. (Don't paypal that email, it doesn't work.)
I won't post you on a list, but you are free to post whatever you want here.

As of now I have 5 available, and I'll just keep making more as spare time and free material permit. I'll try and have at least 2 available at any time.
If you are Canadian, please bug @KuanR first. (He was foolish enough to volunteer to help do Canada post and I sent him a few extras. :grin:)
If you have a 05-08 model your dash is different. I think you can use an extra layer of foam tape, but I have an 09 so you'll have to trust the word of others. Please see the original project thread for more info, and also if you'd prefer to download the file and print your own.

EDIT:

0.000014 Million served! :iconbiggrin:

See less See more
#7 ·
That's cool - I'll take one! The plastic volume knob broke off on mine already because it bounced all over the place when off road. That one got stolen though and I wanted to find a way to mount the new one. Yay, no more broken knobs! PM incoming.

By the way, when I saw the first pic in the first post, I was trying to figure out what that was. Looks like a Batman utility belt.

#10 ·
By the way, when I saw the first pic in the first post, I was trying to figure out what that was. Looks like a Batman utility belt.
:laughing3: I like! You generated a very funny image in my head of Adam West urgently trying to figure out how to work a Chinese ham radio to contact Robin. There were expletives...

#12 ·
I'd be really happy if I could ship these for $1, but they're more like 1/2" thick. Even the nice lady at the post office wouldn't let that slide.

But those envelopes should be big enough. At $0.16 each, plus the $3.03 postage for a fat envelope is still cheaper than the flat rate box by over half.

I'll look into getting some of those envelopes. And this click n ship thing. If I can do that instead of handwriting it would be nice.

#14 · (Edited)
I'd still go up there one time and confirm $3.03 is correct

I know I ordered tracking labels on USPS website when I did all those handles and they sent them for free so I could just postage and put the tracking on and go and not have to go to the post office. You can "schedule a pick up" too on the site. man USPS sure has come al ong way since the Pony Express!

it's awesome of you to do this. I've never heard ofa public library having a 3d printer... but people don't wear shoe where i'm from.

#15 ·
Ok, sent a few out on today's lunch break. If your tracking number doesn't work there's a pretty good chance I typed it in wrong. ;) Just let me know and I'll send a pic of it instead...

#19 ·
And mounted. Sanded off some of the ridges and gave it a couple coats of spray paint. It's awesome and I can't wait to use it. Thanks, @29erClan!
Nice paint! I tried painting a 3D printed thing once but the solvent in the paint kinda melted it, looks like you picked a better type of paint. Mind sharing what it was exactly? And you're welcome.

@29erClan I'll take one. Any left? PM'd
I'd be interested in one as well. Sent a PM. Thanks!
I've got 3 left right now. Will send PMs with paypal info. Should be able to get out to the post office on my lunch break.

#20 ·
For you guys already with the Midland handheld, how have you wired the power, and do you use an external antenna? More specifically:
I was wondering whether you get any engine noise using the regular cigarette power plug.
If you have an external antenna, what kind and where do you have it installed?

I don't plan on being a daily CB user, mostly just for wheeling and road trips. My idea was to power it directly off my aux fuse box, get a "lil Will" magnetic mount antenna and install it behind the roof box (thus protecting the mag mount from getting knocked over and removing the antenna when not using it), and running the coax cable under and alongside the sat antenna under the air dam and down the passenger side A pillar (no other wires there, just windshield wiper tube). I would tuck the base under the center dash, so all I would need to connect up would be to attach the base and screw on the antenna.
Thoughts? Experiences?

#24 ·
I'm late to the party and bringing nothing new, but here's mine:

Thanks again for the mount, I really appreciate it! I've only got a cheapie Baofeng (Bo-Dung?) radio for now, but I'm only just getting into ham. Studying for my tech exam next month and just listening to NOAA for now.

#26 ·
Awesome mount! I wish the radio was angled up just a bit so that the screen was easier to read without having to pick it up, but that's a factor of the dash angle and not the mount. Maybe making the bottom of the mount a little thicker than the top if I knew ahead of time I was gonna mount it in this location would be good. Very sturdy. Thanks again!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.