Review: Black Widow Gear Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
2014 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6 MT

Review: Black Widow Gear Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier

I ordered a bumper from Black widow gear in January, I was speaking to them on Friday and they said it will be shipped early this coming week so I decided to start my review thread now.
I ordered the rear bumper with tire carrier, no paint and grade 8 hardware for $724.50CAD ($544usd) plus $75CAD ($56usd) Shipping for a total of $799.50CAD ($600usd)
Ordering the bumper online was straight forward, the website was easy to navigate. They have been easy to contact throughout the wait for my product, when I called march 31 it went to the answering machine so I decided to text them instead of leaving a message and they responded to me in 3 hours, that was the longest I had to wait to hear back from them. One thing I would have liked to seen from them (this seems to be a problem with pretty much all companies building and selling aftermarket parts) is more communication with the client about delays. 6 weeks after I ordered would have been March 11 and when I spoke to them a few days before that they still didn't have any idea when it would be ready. I waited until 9 weeks before I asked for another update but it would have been nice to get even an email from them telling me what my order status was after we passed the 6 week mark. It's not really a big deal but it's something I'm sure everyone ordering a product would appreciate...... 10 weeks ins't that long to wait for a bumper just better communication would be nice.

Jan 28th I ordered the bumper after getting in contact with them and confirming that there was a 6 week lead time on orders after reading on the website that the lead time was only 6 weeks.

March 7 I texted them to check the status of my order and at that point they couldn't give me even an estimate on when it would be built or shipped.

March 31 I decided to get in contact again and they told me that it was on the table being fabbed and that it would be shipped out the first week of April.

April 12 Today I received a shipping confirmation email from Black Widow, they said it should arrive friday if Fed-ex delivers on good Friday. Apparently the delay from mar 31 until now was due to it being painted, I didn't want it painted. I'll be watching my email for a tracking number today or tomorrow.

April 14 I checked my fedex account looking for a notification that a shipment has been processed and so far nothing. I called blackwidow and got the answering machine again, I told them I will be filing a paypal dispute and they called me back within minutes. I'm getting tired of the run-around I've been getting from them over the last few weeks, now the story is that they hire a 3rd party courier to take their products to fedex to have it shipped. Apparently they are 3 hours away from the nearest fedex depot....... I was told they'll call me first thing Monday morning after they call this courier to find out what is going on. She said that it should have been shipped already and I asked for a tracking number which conveniently she doesn't have because of this 3rd party who ships for them but on Monday april 10 she told me that she would provide me with a tracking number by wednesday april 12 at 4pm. I'm not sure at this point if I should just start a paypal dispute or wait until Monday morning.

April 20 The bumper was delivered today. I'll be home mid may for a few days and I'll try to get it installed while I'm home.

May 13 I got home today and tried to install the bumper and it doesn't come close to fitting. The measurement from inside the frame rails where it mounts is 41" and the tabs that are supposed to mount there are 41 9/16" . It looks like they welded on the mounting bracket using the 41" measurement but they made it inside to inside instead of outside to outside of the tabs. I'll be calling them and trying to get it figured out on Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 514398233_1492716612594.jpg (290.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20170514_065909_1494767195842.jpg (913.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20170514_065753_001_1494767212465.jpg (1.05 MB, 26 views)
ZheKing likes this.

Last edited by 14xterrapro4x; 05-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

So here is the bumper. It looks well built other than the issue with the tabs not lining up. I just sent some pictures to black widow and they got back to me within minutes, they will be picking it up on monday or tuesday to take it back to repair it. They said they sent out 3 that had the wrong dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170514_065240.jpg (889.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20170514_064913.jpg (1.50 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20170514_065020.jpg (1.21 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by 14xterrapro4x; 05-14-2017 at 09:45 AM.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Noobie
2013 Xterra Pro4X

it sucks, but yah delays happen..
14xterrapro4x likes this.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepdiver View Post
it sucks, but yah delays happen..
I'm not upset about it at all, I completely understand that sometimes **** happens. I only mentioned it because of the lack of communication on their part about the delay, just something that hopefully they can improve in the future.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran
2007 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
You ordered it Jan 28th and here it is, April 4th and they are just finishing it? What delays could have them waiting that long to finish a bumper?
ZheKing likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXterra View Post
"100% of people with snorkels have bigger wieners than those without snorkels."
-Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 AM
2011 ❌terra PRO-4X

Garage
Interested to see and hear how you like the bumper. Do you know what type of clasp is used to hold the swingarm closed?

Get outdoors and have some fun!

Build Page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X

I hope the mounts line up, given how @ZheKing's front hidden-winch mount turned out! You'll have to let us know.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/70-prod...30-am-cst.html
GPD605X and ZheKing like this.

Build Page -
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 AM
2013 Glacier White Xterra S

Garage
I wish you the best of luck. I ordered sliders and full skid plates from them with a buddy of mine that ordered the same thing, at the same time, on the same credit card. Lead time they gave us turned out to be twice as long for the first set which they shipped separately and second set we had to argue about giving the right address, that one took forever to come in...... To add to the pain half the holes on the skid plates don't match and one plate looked like it had been cut by hand with a grinder...
AlbatrossCafe and ZheKing like this.

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Very interested to see how this bumper lines up. The price is completely worth the wait time if it will actually fit how it is supposed too.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM
2012 Lava Red Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfxluc View Post
To add to the pain half the holes on the skid plates don't match
tfxluc and AlbatrossCafe like this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode