Review: BlackBox Dashcam 1080P - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra X

Review: BlackBox Dashcam 1080P

Hey all. I asked for a GoPro camera for Christmas and ended up getting this -

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Orig.../dp/B00FONBG1A

This is a dashcam that truck drivers and Ruskies use to fight traffic tickets and insurance claims. I got it out of the box this morning to test out for Rausch Creek and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Suction cups onto your windshield and takes a charge or plugs into the AC outlet. It can take pictures and video, has an impressive wide angle lens that captures a good amount.

It records 1080P video and has 32 GBs of storage. I took a couple 15 minute videos, which added up to ~280 MBs. That comes out to around 5 hours of recording time total. From there it will begin to record over the oldest videos. You can scale back the quality to 720P to cut down the file size. I uploaded a crystal clear 1080 video I recorded this morning to my computer, but sh**ty Photobucket restricts your video quality by quite a bit, here it is, it should at least give you a feel for the wide angle lens -

You can also plug this into your HDMI port on your tv and watch the videos from there. Just thought I'd post this up to give people a cheaper alternative to a Go Pro. You can get this for $75.

Question for the tech people, what sites enable you to upload 1080 video? And does Photobucket allow for that if you purchase a membership? Ive zero experience with it.

Long Tall Sally, She Built Sweet, She Got Everything, That Uncle John Need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator / Middle Atlantic Regional Moderator / (GPAX) Club Moderator
2005 Super Black ❌terra S

Send a message via AIM to XterraPA Send a message via Yahoo to XterraPA
Vimeo is the best option for uploading full resolution video.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Stephen Q. Breslin -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 - Super Black "S" 4x4 - 6MT

GPAX Founder/ El Presidente
- "A man of the people!"
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Pretty cool and not that expensive. I've always wanted a dash cam but have no idea where to start. Thanks for posting this and the recommendation.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran
2014 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Had a wild hair and an Amazon gift certificate so I just ordered one, thanks for the info.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

No problem guys, you'll be impressed with the video quality and sound recording, neither of which come through well at all on that photobucket vid.

Thanks for the tip Steve, when I get some time I will look into Vimeo

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Truth Dropper
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Hmm I keep considering a dash cam. Seemed like the good ones run $125+ and the $20 ones are junk. This one might fit the bill... Thanks for the recommendation.

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran
2012 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

That is pretty sweet for the price. May have to get one for the front and back.

Click Here for >
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran
2015 Silver Pro-4X 6MT 2007 White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
That does look like a good one. Thanks for sharing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

- J.J. Watt
"Attitude. There is no substitute." - Mike Rowe

and
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra X - 6MT

Pretty cool, might have to buy one.... though honestly when I was watching it, I half expected a car to come out of nowhere and you have to swerve or go off the road lol, and then say something in Russian sounding very pissed haha. I've seen too many of those youtube videos I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satown210 View Post
Anyone saying "that's crazy I could do it myself cheaper." Well no $hi#. You could hire a hooker too. Even in that situation, doing it yourself would be cheaper.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I've got a ton of footage from Rausch this weekend,when I have the time at work Im going to try to upload a couple high res videos to vimeo or something and share.

Does youtube limit what res you can upload to?
12Pro4X likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode