Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Nissan Xterra an Alluring Buy for Off-road Crowd

8K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  gamecock257 
#1 ·
2012 Nissan Xterra reviewed - 4.0-liter, V6, 261 horsepower /15-20 mpg /Price: $24,890 to $30,170

More...

#2 ·
Says its priced higher than the FJ and Wrangler?? I found it to be the exact opposite. They aren't giving it much credit with the 8 second 0-60 either. Its better by probably a full second. Kinda seems like they are saying if you off-road you'll like it, if you don't look somewhere else. I hardly wheel mine and I still love it.

#5 ·
One more thing. The author states that for driving around town the x is not the best experience. I have to disagree. Yesterday I was in alot of traffic in the right lane which was blocked by a semi not moving. When I got close I saw that I would be there for awhile the. Notice there was just enough room on the right side of the semi for me to squeeze my x through and climb up an embankment to a parking lot above. So off I went. You should have seen the look on the guys face behind me. I got to get on my way while the rest of those people got to sit around.

#15 ·
The price is what does get some people but there are a lot of difference between the two since you are comparing the top of the line vehicles for both companies. You have only one true axle and one locking diff where as the Rubi has two true axles two locking diffs and a 4:1 low range along with 4.11 gears as well.

When I had my S edition I loved it and loved the power. I kind of went backwards in that dept when I bought my Rubi but it makes up for it in all the other parts that I am after. When I had my S I was going to spend the money to do an SAS on it but after having the truck start to give me so many problems. Then have to spend $10k just to have the SAS done it was just a better idea for me to get what I really was looking for in my new vehicle and that is how I ended up with the Jeep. I am in to crawling big rocks and need the ability to have 2 solid axles.

I still love the X and I help Dan here with his a lot so I am not one that has turned to the dark side and ignore the X guys. I don't brag about how much better my Rubi is than a X unless the person is a real jerk then I'll just take him on a 4 or 5 diamond trail where you need lockers and prove him wrong (which hasn't happened yet. ).

#7 ·
Yeah, this article is off-base on several accounts. Another post noted that the FJ and Wrangler 4-door, when SIMILARLY equipped, are far more expensive than the X. Also, Nissan dealers are discounting the new X's by about $4k right now, no way that Toyota or Jeep are doing that. So the price differential is even greater in favor of the X. I find the ride quality around town and on the highway to be pretty nice (with stock tires) on my 2012 Pro-4X. Oh by the way, I'm 54 years old - I wish I was 20-something! Maybe only to have 20-something knees, mine are killing me!

#8 ·
Sticker price on the Unlimited S package (hard top/automatic) was ~$30,700.
Pro x was about the same but the Wrangler had more room, more convenience fatures etc. X drives much better on the road and is cheaper. If The Wrangler drove comparably I'd gladly pay $4k for a usable armrest, heated mirrors, temperature gauge and more room. The Xterra S is a great value with rebates and some of Nissan's decontenting can be overlooked.

#9 ·
Inaccuracies abound as others have mentioned.
Loaded comparable FJ's are more, Jeeps, lets not even go there.
I am 39. I could not afford a loaded X like I have now in my mid 20's.

Everyday driving experience is great. I came from a Santa Fe that handled crappy (although it had great power), stupid front wheel drive, uncomfortable seating, a BS AWD drive system, and very tinny.

My X is fun to drive, feels stable, powerful enough, excellent visibility, confident and sturdy. Yes, it drinks gas, just like all the other vehicles in its class (enough already about the gas mileage). Oh yeah, and it turns heads daily. :headbang:

#10 ·
After reading that article, I'm convinced that he never even drove the X. I'm in my late 50's, and while I don't offroad, I do drive some pretty ugly logging trails during hunting season. It's definitely not too shabby driving in the mud and snow, and works as a reasonably comfortable ride for me the rest of the year as my DD.

I dislike people trying to write authoritatively while knowing nothing but press releases!

#14 ·
After reading that article, I'm convinced that he never even drove the X. I'm in my late 50's, and while I don't offroad, I do drive some pretty ugly logging trails during hunting season. It's definitely not too shabby driving in the mud and snow, and works as a reasonably comfortable ride for me the rest of the year as my DD.

I dislike people trying to write authoritatively while knowing nothing but press releases!
You mean he should get off his a$$ and actually do some work?!?! Man that's demanding, lol.

I have to say the X is great on the road. I test drove a Wrangler when I was looking at the X and the X way by far the better on road vehicle. The guy clearly hasn't driven one.

#12 ·
To each their own but the value of the X for how I use it is unparalleled. The Jeep roomier that the X? No way. I can't put two mtb bikes in an interior rack + all bike/camping gear/ supplies in that Jeep? I also can't go buy aftermarket bumpers and accessories, etc, etc for the X like you can with a Jeep and probably the FJ. Still, I kind of like figuring out the puzzle of the X with mods. Oh yeah, and my friends' Jeeps break down weekly - not counting trail damage.

#17 · (Edited)
These types of reviews are why nobody is buying vehicles like the Xterra anymore (body on frame, off-road capable). They just come out and say it's awful on the road because, hey, it can't be good off-AND-on road, right?! I'm pretty sure any vehicle that isn't a crossover and/or made for soccer moms is said to be bad on pavement by these useless tools.

I've seen it said that the FJ is far superior on the pavement by auto testers, I guess an assumption because of the different rear suspension type, but I'd take an X over an FJ without looking back even if I knew I could never go off-road.

#18 ·
If you want a perfect on-road experience, BUY A CAR. A crossover is no more capable off-road than most cars, and it sucks way more on-road. If anything is compromised, it's crossovers like the Murano and the new Explorer. All the penalties of an SUV (especially gas mileage) and none of the benefits (the ability to go off-road).

If I didn't like to go off-roading, I'd probably just own a GTI or WRX. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd buy a CR-V or Rogue.

#22 ·
My 4X was $32k, still cheaper than a loaded Rubi or FJ. And as far as off-road is concerned it's equal to the Rubi. The FJ is a beach cruiser, more suited to yuppy surfers & ski bums... My personal opinion, hurt feelings are not my intention nor my problem... lol

#25 ·
Reviewers need to understand what they are reviewing...

This is coming from someone who owned a JKU last week and now owns a 2012 Pro-4X. I also owned an 09X before the JK.

Let's get this out of the way first: The Jeep wins offroad. Solid front axle with locker (Rubi) and better ground clearance, approach and departure angles. However I'd say 95% of the owners of a JK, FJ, or X will never come close to using there offroad potential.

But as a vehicle to live with everyday: the X wins hands down. Better build quality, better on road drive by far, and cargo space is much easier to use. I love the VQ series engines like we have in the X. Plenty of power and torque and Nissan has been developing them for years now. The new Pentastar looks better on paper but my JK didn't have one so I can't speak for that. The 3.8 that 07-11 JKs had was very underwhelming. No power to tow, climb grades, merge on the interstate etc. Plus mine and a few others I've seen sparked knocked badly. My JK auto tranny also wouldn't shift down to first when climbing grades at low speeds unless I did it manually.

And price point: I paid 27k for my new 2011 JK Sport S (power windows locks, soft top, 17" alloys etc). I paid 26k for my 2012 Pro-4x (everything except leather). So comparing similarly equipped vehicles the X wins there too. The FJ is priced even higher than the JK from what I've seen around here. I will say that wranglers do and always have held there value very well.

So for pure offroading I'll chalk it up to the JK. But in every other category I vote for the X. Remember this is just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.