Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

September 2016 - The Return of the X!?!

16K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  Un4seen4 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Not for serious. Just the guys suspicion at this time. Also concepts never look like the production cars. So no worries abou gullwing double doors.

"While Nissan officials have neither confirmed nor denied our suspicions, we think the new SUV will be an all-new Xterra, which will come out just in time to recapture some sales of those who want a rugged but inexpensive SUV."

#7 ·
I think if they come out with another Xterra, it will likely be a long wheelbase frontier based suv like the test mule they show at the end of the article. Think the 05-12 pathy. The days of short wheelbase, body on frame suv's will be over very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
September 2016 - The Return on the X?!?!?!

No, there is a good chance something named Xterra is returning. ;)

It will probably have a 21" longer wheelbase like the frontier. It will be the limo version of our x haha

#18 ·
No, there is a good chance something named Xterra is returning. ;)

It will probably have a 21" longer wheelbase like the frontier. It will be the limo version of our x haha

So the last generation Pathfinder?

#11 ·

Brazilian Nissan Zaroot Concept!

The doors would have to be easily removable for off roading otherwise opening in tree cover would suck!

Also couldn't do a RTT or anything accessing roof rack without a ladder in the back or step ladder with doors closed... Interesting though!

#12 ·
Both concepts shown (Zaroot and Terranaut) are ancient designs. The Zaroot is from way back in 2003 and is the predecessor to the R51 Pathfinder. The Terranaut from 2006 isn't even meant to be a civilian vehicle (it's for science).

If we're getting an X again, it sure won't be in September. We're only just seeing reports of NP300 Navaras testing stateside, and the SUV mule is a long way off from being a production vehicle. Unless Nissan decided to dust off the second gen for another go until CAFE really catches up to it, but it being August already we would have seen a production line opening up. Maybe they'll announce an X next month but that will be the extent of it. Unless this supposed third gen was developed in the skunkiest of skunkworks and is being secretly produced under Area 51 by an army of ninjas chained to the floor with their mouths sewn shut.

#14 ·
Cliff notes for those who didn't read the article (and please always ignore the clickbait headline)

1. To help fill its lineup with plenty of choices, it will announce a new SUV in September and reveal a new crossover by January 2017.
2. While Nissan officials have neither confirmed nor denied our suspicions, we think the new SUV will be an all-new Xterra
3. As far as we know, the reveal will happen sometime in September

#21 ·
As long as it doesn't have a CVT and is more reliable while maintaining a real 4WD system...

Honestly, I'd like a Renegade type vehicle as a city runabout that can still handle mountain snow storms. It means I can put fewer miles on the XTerra.

Reactions: brokefoot
#22 ·
I agree, as an all weather commuter they are a great option. They look good too. However for me the Xterra is a perfect balance of offroad capability, towing ability, size, and I prefer body on frame. A vehicle like the Renegade does not check enough of these boxes to be considered a replacement....for me anyways.

#24 ·
Everything I've seen and the articles I've read tell me they are going to be designed with the pathfinder style rather than the X.

I love my X because it looks like an offroad vehicle even 100% stock. It's probably safer for Nissan to design something comparable to a pathfinder with some offroad capability, rather than having two similar models separating the two lifestyles.

#25 ·
The X will rise again. Hopefully, Nissan knows CVT blows monkey balls, they will give us what we need. BoF with a real transmission and absolutely no direct injection carbon fouling unreliablility or electric steering . If they sell enough eco CVTs, then maybe we will get an X that does not suck.

#28 ·
While the author isn't too educated on whats happening with the Frontier, and the article is pure speculation. I dont like the looks but I do agree that is likely what a new Xterra would look like. Slightly longer, crossover-esque and somewhat resembling the 4Runner. Booo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.